Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
IndLk_Brett

Noah J. Rondeau's former hermitage site

I will soon be hiking the section of the NPT that passes the site of the old hermitage and I just had a quick question. Is the clearing with the sign marking the site right along the current route of the NPT or is there still a spur trail which leads to the spot, as it was in the old days?

I will be hiking southwest and know that if I make it to Ouluska LT I've gone too far, but I'm wondering if I should be keeping an eye out for a spur trail before that point or not. I've seen it described as just a small clearing with a sign along the trail - just wasn't clear if that was still the NP trail.

I'd sure hate to miss it as I've been a bit fascinated with Noah ever since seeing one of his old cabins at the Adirondack Museum as a kid. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing… still do for that matter! It's one of the things I am most looking forward to on this trip.

Thanks
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
WBB

Photographs would make this easier but I seem to be unable to upload any at this time. So that being said it would be nearly impossible to miss it On the NPT there is a sign pointing to the hermitage "Trail to Rondeau's". There is a large metal plaque attached to a tree. There is also a older wooden sign as well. Last time I was there a metal bucket a a barrel stay were hanging off of it as well. If you are coming from the south you will first pass the Oluska Pass lean to.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #3
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBB View Post
Photographs would make this easier but I seem to be unable to upload any at this time. So that being said it would be nearly impossible to miss it On the NPT there is a sign pointing to the hermitage "Trail to Rondeau's". There is a large metal plaque attached to a tree. There is also a older wooden sign as well. Last time I was there a metal bucket a a barrel stay were hanging off of it as well. If you are coming from the south you will first pass the Oluska Pass lean to.
Thank you very much! Exactly the information I was looking for. Sounds like I would have to be half asleep or daydreaming pretty darn deeply to miss it. I'll be hiking from the north actually, so if I should happen upon Ouluska LT it will be 180° turnaround time… Sounds like it should be no problem though.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote