Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
jkauff73

Living in Lake Placid area

Since there's no "Living in the Adirondacks" section I chose the General area for this topic.
My family has been enjoying the Adirondacks for the past 8 or 9 years. We've spent time hiking, paddling and skiing. There's many more adventures we would like to take that our short, couple of times a year trips don't allow. This leads us to leave thinking we would love to live there.
Now, I have had a first interview for a job based in Lake Placid. While there are no guarantees, this brings us closer to having a decision to make. Are we really serious about living there? There seems to be inherent risk in moving to a place that you vacation. Namely, you don't get a true perspective of life there since you're there a short time.
So, I would be interested in hearing from those who have lived in the park. Particularly those who have experience living near Lake Placid.
jkauff73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

I lived near there for a time but I rarely went to the town of Lake Placid.

My recollections:

Do you like long, cold winters? Even people who like to ski sometimes find winter up there dulling. I'll always take snow personally, but sometimes that's not the case. Sometimes it's just cold, wet and miserable.

Are you from a small town? Small town life can be tough for some. Everyone tends to know everyone's business whether you like it or not. Lack of diversity can lead to bigotry and if you don't fit in you can sometimes be singled out. I'm not saying this will happen in LP, but it's not uncommon in rural NY.

Have you ever been during black fly season? A lot of towns treat the nearby waters now but it wasn't always that way, and it doesn't get rid of them completely. Sometimes they are fine, other times you won't want to leave the house. On a bad year it seems like as soon as the weather gets nice, the flies drive you mad.

Are you good with being away from easy access to things? Sometimes things you take for granted in suburbia can be an hour drive or more away. It's hard to say what that will be. Sometimes it will be a part you need for car. Another time it might be a new water heater. Or getting a plumber to come out to your home late at night.

Can you deal with the tourists? Sometimes they feel like they can be worse than the flies. Want to get your weekly groceries, go for your favorite paddle, etc... during the summer and during the weekend certain areas will get busy. If you have to work a regular job and not work in the tourist industry, you may find yourself in direct competition with them. If you have to work in the tourist industry, you may find yourself working all the time and never getting out. But when you do, at least it will be during the slow times.

The old saying stands... the grass is always greener... the Adirondacks are great, but living there poses certain challenges.

If none of that bothers you or your family, then I'd go for it. Other than that it's a lot more expensive for regular, everyday stuff... but I assume you know that going in.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Trail Boss

Great summary of the realities of living in a small community. Pros and cons for everything.

If I could upvote your post, I would!
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
wiiawiwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Are you from a small town? Small town life can be tough for some. Everyone tends to know everyone's business whether you like it or not. Lack of diversity can lead to bigotry and if you don't fit in you can sometimes be singled out. I'm not saying this will happen in LP, but it's not uncommon in rural NY.
I'd counter by saying that in a small town you have a community where you become involved, know your neighbors, care about them, and people have each others back.

Last edited by wiiawiwb; 01-11-2017 at 09:33 AM..
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
I'd counter by saying that in a small town you have a community where you become involved, know your neighbors, care about them, and people have each others back.
You can have that in a diverse urban community as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Buckladd

I've lived in the Adirondack Park my entire life, but not near Lake Placid, which may be the exception to the rest of the region. Small town life is what you make it. There are people in my town that have come and gone or are here without me knowing, and I'm somewhat involved in the community and the region beyond. And, there are people i see every day.

Climate is obviously a concern and again, Lake Placid and higher elevations are often different than other areas. LP is a busy place compared to other local communities. It sounds like the forms of recreation you enjoy are here, which is what I consider the big bonus for living here. My wife and I recreate in the ADKs more than anywhere. You can too once you're here.

Most important is your family. Is what they want/need here also? If you take the job you have to decide whether you want to live in Lake Placid or make a short commute from another local. And if you have kids do some research on the school districts. Then, there's always the profession or concerns with the wants and needs of your spouse, which I'm sure you are aware of.

Good luck, and I hope if works out for you if that's what you desire
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
JohnnyMac

I don't live in Lake Placid but know and work with several friends & family who live there. A relative moved to Saranac, another moved to Jay. They still consider LP as their hub. My family seriously considered joining them but for many reasons opted to stay put.

All of the concerns mentioned about the weather and employment are real for the families I know. Many have at least one family member that works in the Albany area a few days a week. Work at home positions are a real benefit.

Another concern is healthcare, namely, hospitals. Besides one in Saranac Lake, traveling to full service hospitals in Plattsburgh, Syracuse, Albany, Burlington, VT is often required.

Airports are also a concern if you travel a lot for a living. Most fly out of Albany or Burlington. In good weather, Albany is roughly a 2.5 hour drive from LP.

Still, I don't know many who have moved out of the LP area. They make sacrifices because the North Country has so many benefits that you already know about. LP in particular has a good health vibe maybe because of the many world class, winter sport athletes who call it their home.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #8
wiiawiwb

Quote:
You can have that in a diverse urban community as well.
Not as easy to find in urban centers as it is in rural America.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
Hard Scrabble

Lake Placid is a great little town, but remember that the economy is based on tourism.
High prices, limited facilities.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Gman

Here's a thought. If it were an option if they have a job in your line of work in LP perhaps they have one in Plattsburg. Some might not think Plattsburg is no gem but the weather is better, bigger center and quick get out of town via the Northway. I don't mind the town but its no Burlington VT. For recreating the ADK's are right there plus Champlain. I would not want to commute from Plattsburg to LP.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
skillzman1

Another possibility is around Chestertown. It's in the Park, close to Glens Falls/Queensbury and close enough to the interior Adk areas for most any day trip activities. A commute to large population center is short for work and shopping/entertainment as well. Far less of an impact by the aforementioned tourist crowd/seasons.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #12
Hard Scrabble

I've lived in the ADk's or the peripheries for most of my life.
One thing that I've found is if you were not born there, or if you have not lived there for years, you will not be considered a "native".
It's not really disrespective, it's only human behavior.
The old time ADK residents don't trust any downstaters.
They will perform any services that you require, but they will not accept you as equals.
That needs to be earned.
Jim
Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #13
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
they will not accept you as equals.

Kinda like slaves?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #14
Hard Scrabble

Quote:

Kinda like slaves?
There you go again.
A popular debate concept. Outdated.
Divert from the the topic.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #15
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

You might also consider taking the Lake Placid job but living in Saranac Lake. Saranac Lake has a more stable year-round population than Lake Placid, and a culture that isn't so heavily focused purely on tourism. There's more affordable living options as well than in Lake Placid. A lot of people who work in Lake Placid live in Saranac Lake, and the commute isn't very far or long.

Montcalm's points about living in a small Adirondack town are also spot on and worth considering.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
dpc34

Think about the Glens Falls area.......been here since 1970...great schools and everything you need...close to the ADKs.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
You might also consider taking the Lake Placid job but living in Saranac Lake. Saranac Lake has a more stable year-round population than Lake Placid, and a culture that isn't so heavily focused purely on tourism. There's more affordable living options as well than in Lake Placid. A lot of people who work in Lake Placid live in Saranac Lake, and the commute isn't very far or long.

Montcalm's points about living in a small Adirondack town are also spot on and worth considering.
Saranac Lake, the Little City in the Adirondacks.
Nice place to live.
Jim
Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #18
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
Think about the Glens Falls area.......been here since 1970...great schools and everything you need...close to the ADKs.....
GF is a great area. Love it.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #19
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

I wanted to live in saranac lake/lake placid real bad after graduating from Paul Smiths. Its hard to say but if you do not start your own business and sell shi* to tourists you will most likely not be able to make a living, unless your a nurse or a lawyer etc.
It is very difficult! But the beautiful mountains and wonderful people make up for it!

And do note the 3rd week of January can dip down to -40, can you handle that?
Are you ok living in a very small town and driving an hour to the city of Plattsburg to get items once a month or every other month? Best of luck! I wish I couldve made it work!
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #20
RichieC

Go for it... just cause you take a job there doesn't mean you have to die there... You do have to learn to play in the snow, (ski,snowmobile, skate), wave at the flies- (Adirondackers are the friendliest people- you'll see them all alone-walking through the woods.. waving to nobody there...talkingto themselves ..especially in the spring! :-) You have to learn to float, paddle, dive, swim, fish and climb... Maybe Hunt, camp... and breath crisp air, sometimes with the faint scent of balsam... noise pollution ( loons, wind, storms, crickets, frogs... watefalls) , and those pretty views- they'll become old...(never) . You will learn to appreciate a good wood stove- become an expert at keeping them going. . You will have to learn to deal with barkeaters... you'll know one when you have to deal with one. You'll say "Oh...so that's a barkeater". You'll learn to spot them far off. LOL ( I have very close barkeating friends who live in Saranac, LP, Old Forge, Elisabethtown)

Heck if you don't take the job maybe i will! Sadly nothing for me to do up there, I depend on bigger city stuff for my line of work.

It is 9 month's of winter interrupted with 3 month's of frantic road (and other) construction.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote