Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #21
snapper
snapper

Thanks for the information on why the phone number request is there. That being said, years ago one of our women students had a bunch of issues with what can only be called unwelcome attention; I'll just leave it at that. For that reason I've always encouraged them to register but to consider how much personal information that want to give out.

I realize that today a quick Google search will give out more information about you than many of us would like but again, it's just a precaution they can take if they want to. No harm nor foul to my way of thinking.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I'm a stickler (my students would say PITA) about checking the "OUT" box at the end of our trips. We don't leave the parking area until that's been completed.
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #22
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
You do realize that what the local animals do to that water is far worse than what he was doing by bathing in it, right? That's why you purify it, regardless of your camping neighbor's bath habits.
I don't think so. Nature is going to break down a beaver turd much faster than Doc Bronner's soap and Head & Shoulders shampoo. We put a lot of chemicals and perfumes in our soaps
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #23
Trail Boss

Given a choice of drinking water drawn downstream from a bathing hiker or a defecating beaver, it's an unpleasant choice, but I'd go for a sip of used Dr. Bronner than bark run through a beaver.

Anyway, it's not about the lesser of two evils but to keep waterways free of non-native additives (like our food scraps, dish-water, feces, urine, soaps, and detergents).

The gentleman's argument that generations of his kin have bathed in this manner makes for strong nostalgia but a weak defense. Folks used to crap directly into waterways ... because they didn't know any better. Learning from the past doesn't mean copying its mistakes.

FWIW, there's a DEC regulation, for the High Peaks Wilderness Area, that forbids the use of soap and detergents in a body of water. 190.13 f 3 ii
Old 03-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #24
Fly Rodder

I don't frequent a lot of the heavily used trailheads typically, but most of what I have seen have been registers that are 2-4 years old that get scribbled in and defaced. IMO, if ranger just removed the pages monthly or every couple of months, there were would be less of that - broken glass theory.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #25
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
... years ago one of our women students had a bunch of issues ...
For my education, could you share with me how many years ago?

And was it Dundee?

With the advent of smartphones and social media (all in the last decade, especially the last 5 years), teenagers and young adults are now so interconnected, via so many services, that the idea of sharing a phone number seems positively quaint (even prehistoric). It's just one of many communication channels available to today's youth. Arguably, it may be their least-used, typically demoted to receiving calls from Boomer parents announcing cousin Albert passed away (Who???).
Old 03-03-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post

FWIW, there's a DEC regulation, for the High Peaks Wilderness Area, that forbids the use of soap and detergents in a body of water. 190.13 f 3 ii
I was under the impression that this goes for the entire park, not only the HPWA.

Quote:

With the advent of smartphones and social media (all in the last decade, especially the last 5 years), teenagers and young adults are now so interconnected, via so many services, that the idea of sharing a phone number seems positively quaint (even prehistoric)
Ha! I'd have to agree. And that makes me feel a bit old. After all, I can remember when a personal phone ment stretching the 20' spiral cord into the next room for privacy...

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 03-03-2017 at 12:55 PM..
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #27
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

[QUOTE=IndLk_Brett;256512]I was under the impression that this goes for the entire park, not only the HPWA.

That is my understanding too.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #28
dundee

[QUOTE=

And was it Dundee? [/QUOTE]

Every day!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #29
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
I was under the impression that this goes for the entire park, not only the HPWA.
Me too but I can't find the broader regulation on Westlaw's site.

Quote:
... I can remember when a personal phone ment stretching the 20' spiral cord into the next room for privacy...
A long distance call was a major household event.

Just to add to "boy do I feel old", I recently learned some companies are scrapping their voicemail service. It's deemed to be inefficient ... mostly because few are diligent about responding to their voicemail. That seems alien to me and an example of improper usage being the root problem. Nevertheless, there are many avenues for employees (and customers) to communicate and voicemail has been demoted to "telegram" status.

Podcast: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/341-wi...w-ye-1.3928204
Old 03-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #30
Justin

Do any of you include your Adkforum name (or internet trail name) when signing trail registers or lean-to log books?

I've seen 'DuctTape' a few times in a few different lean-to logs.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Do any of you include your Adkforum name (or internet trail name) when signing trail registers or lean-to log books?

I've seen 'DuctTape' a few times in a few different lean-to logs.
Not me.

I do, however, constantly wonder as I'm walking away after exchanging pleasantries and/or chatting up a stranger on the trail whether or not I would know them if they introduced themselves using their forum name. Or vise versa.

...though I know I would recognize yourself and Jenny coming down the trail if we ever happened to cross paths due to watching some of your videos. Might even ask for Jenny's autograph. HaHa!
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #32
kwc
loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
...though I know I would recognize yourself and Jenny coming down the trail if we ever happened to cross paths due to watching some of your videos.
Now you've done it ... Justin is probably going to dress "incognito" and Jenny will become a chocolate lab ...

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 PM   #33
Hard Scrabble

Going back in years, there were signs advising hikers to give avoidance to cross country ski trails from Adirondack Lodge to Marcy Dam.
There also emergency toboggans at the Ranger Cabin at Marcy Dam.
Those were the good old days.
The toboggans were stolen.
Marcy Dam is no more.
Progress???
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #34
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
No, I include your ADKforum name.

People tell me they love my videos, I don't look the same in real life ("so much older") and then invariably ask "Where's Jenny?" Then I have to confess to the charade and let them know I rent her for the videos. She's a professional actor and doesn't come cheap but I don't skimp on production costs! They usually go away pretty darn impressed (with you).

... and you're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
There also emergency toboggans at the Ranger Cabin at Marcy Dam.
The toboggans were stolen.
...Progress???
Toboggans have been superseded by the DEC's use of ATVs, snowmobiles, and helicopters. If speed of extraction is the key metric then, yes, I believe it's progress.

As for Marcy Dam's demise, you'll have to take that up with Irene.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #35
Justin

Quote:
... and you're welcome.
I've been searching for an agent for her, as I'm sure Animal Planet, Discover Channel, and Nat. Geo. will be calling any day now...
Old 03-03-2017, 05:36 PM   #36
Wldrns

Quote:
A long distance call was a major household event. ]
Very true, you practically paid by the mile.
Does anyone remember leaving a message that you have arrived safely someplace by calling (using a phone company operator) "person to person", and the "person being called" would not be there. That would be a free call (unless the person asked for was confirmed to be there)

I still remember as a kid, before we got a rotary phone, using an operator to call even local numbers. My home number then was 767W. We were on a "party line" before and after the rotary technology arrived.

I still refuse to do the texting thing. Many people do not seem to know there is a higher technology capability on their cell phone, called "voice".
Do you know you can actually speak to someone on the thing, having an instant 2-way voice conversation, rather than awkwardly thumb typing something that is only a small technology step above Morse Code. I do have a cell phone, but just barely, since one was given to me by my employer several years ago. It is a dumb flip style, and it is as often left at home when I am away or on the back seat of my car when I am home. People I who I care to talk to will know that if I am home I will only respond to my "old fashioned" home land line ringing - don't even try to call my cell number.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-03-2017 at 07:19 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #37
Justin

Perhaps it's time for an "Adk Trail Register Phone App"....sign in & out right from your smart phone.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #38
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Hikers receiving calls from strangers who collect phone numbers from a trail register.

Is that even a thing???

FYI, if your name is in the register, a quick Google search is liable to reveal a crapton more about you than just a phone number. As for teenagers and young adults, they're more likely to attract unwanted attention via their social media accounts.
Happened to a friend of mine. He put his number in and happened to be hiking with his wife and the wife of a mutual friend. He got a call from some guy they apparently passed on the trail who was wondering if "the taller girl" might want to (insert sexual euphemism here). My friend threatened the guy with bodily harm if he heard from him or saw him again, reported it to the cops and never put his phone number in a register from that moment on.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #39
Trail Boss

The app idea isn't all that outrageous. Although you wouldn't be allowed to sign-in remotely but would need to tap the phone against the register (to confirm your physical presence). It would be along the lines of using a payment system (like Apple Pay or Android Pay).

The problem with the idea is, of course, a substantial amount of pricey technology is needed at each register (plus some means of powering it reliably) compared to the cheap, low-tech solution of pencil and paper.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #40
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
... He got a call from some guy they apparently passed on the trail who was wondering if "the taller girl" might want to (insert sexual euphemism here). ...
The guy you may be looking for goes by the moniker "Dundee". (I'm very much kidding here ... I've never even met him.)

But seriously, where do y'all hike? Central Park?

I've never heard a female member on ADKHighPeaks ever mention receiving such creepy attention in this manner (perhaps they were loathe to share it). There have been other examples of misguided behavior towards women but not of the sexual kind.

The numbskulls who act this way do our gender a disservice. They're also skating on the legal edge of sexual harassment.