Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #41
jman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
This was my second spot this morning. I had to do some leg-work to find him and after some long distance talk I moved and located him. Then I set up and he came in with another gobbler. Once they saw the jake and sitting hen decoys they ran in. But I think getting them to spot the decoys in the woods was the challenge. I took him at 15-yards.
Good stuff. Nice to take one on opening day. Goodluck with #2.
jman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #42
chaser
pond jockey

Great job Buckladd
Old 05-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #43
geogymn

Nice score!
Old 05-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #44
Bounder45

Quote:
This was my second spot this morning. I had to do some leg-work to find him and after some long distance talk I moved and located him. Then I set up and he came in with another gobbler. Once they saw the jake and sitting hen decoys they ran in. But I think getting them to spot the decoys in the woods was the challenge. I took him at 15-yards.
What kind of call were you using?
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #45
dpc34

So Dan, are you now back to the kayak for some Lake Trout on LG...I am seeing a lot of kayak fishing going on in the PK area...I also hear they are hitting now....hope to see you on the lake...hope you know where I am in the bay....be there mid May...tight lines and feathers in you sights...PM you when back in PK
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #46
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc34 View Post
So Dan, are you now back to the kayak for some Lake Trout on LG...I am seeing a lot of kayak fishing going on in the PK area...I also hear they are hitting now....hope to see you on the lake...hope you know where I am in the bay....be there mid May...tight lines and feathers in you sights...PM you when back in PK
'Gonna try to get back out on the lake. My buddy got a 32-inch laker off a dock in Diamond Point last week. 60th WWD is this weekend and I've still got two sheds to build, gardens, fire wood, etc.. And, there's another turkey tag to hopefully fill but I'm holding out for a trip with some hunting buddies in a few weeks. I'll look for you out there.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #47
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
What kind of call were you using?
I'm terrible with mouth calls so I use a Quaker Boy box call and an older QB slate with a nice rosewood striker. I mostly mix it up with those two calls but I also keep one of these handy:

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/sl...late-call.html

Trust me, you don't have to be a great caller to kill turkeys. I call as little as possible for that reason.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #48
Bounder45

Quote:
I'm terrible with mouth calls so I use a Quaker Boy box call and an older QB slate with a nice rosewood striker. I mostly mix it up with those two calls but I also keep one of these handy:

https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/sl...late-call.html

Trust me, you don't have to be a great caller to kill turkeys. I call as little as possible for that reason.
This will be my first time hunting them with a call. I'll probably end up getting either a box call or slate call, as I have next to zero experience calling Turkey and I've heard those two are relatively easy to use.

Thanks for the feedback and good job out there!
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #49
Buckladd

Quote:
This will be my first time hunting them with a call. I'll probably end up getting either a box call or slate call, as I have next to zero experience calling Turkey and I've heard those two are relatively easy to use.

Thanks for the feedback and good job out there!
Bounder, this is an old video but is right on the money. Be sure to watch part 2 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFpTUdj0k4c

My suggestion is both a box and slate. They're easy to learn and have always worked for me. If I had to pick one I'd go with a box. I have a couple of rules and that is one, I don't call much while turkeys are roosted, but if I know a tom is there I like to make sure he hears me before he hears another hen so I do three soft yelps on a slate. From there I don't over-call. Three to five yelps on the box or slate and maybe a few clucks and soft purrs if they're hung up out of range. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. That's the basics.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #50
mgc

Quote:
I'll probably end up getting either a box call or slate call,
Those are the right ones to start out with....but I also suggest a mouth call or two. They are incredibly easy to use and very effective. The nice thing about the mouth calls is that you don't need to move around to use them. As a bird is closing, a couple soft clucks from a mouth call can finish the job without scaring the birds away.
I swear that a turkey can see you blink from 50 yards away...using a slate or a box call can get you busted if you aren't really careful.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #51
jman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Those are the right ones to start out with....but I also suggest a mouth call or two. They are incredibly easy to use and very effective. The nice thing about the mouth calls is that you don't need to move around to use them. As a bird is closing, a couple soft clucks from a mouth call can finish the job without scaring the birds away.
I swear that a turkey can see you blink from 50 yards away...using a slate or a box call can get you busted if you aren't really careful.
Good advice from everyone here. Like mgc said, don't fear the mouth call. You'll probably make some very odd noises when you first try it, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Keep a few in your car and practice when you are driving. That way you won't scare the family/neighbors.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #52
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman22 View Post
don't fear the mouth call.
I'm pretty sure that was a BOC tune from one of their newer albums.....

Perfect calling is not always a requirement. I know someone who unintentionally called in a bird with a creaky icebox cover (a cheap Coleman).
And a few years ago I thought I had another hunter sitting 40 or so away doing the worst job of calling that I had ever heard. I was going to read him the riot act about loud and too frequent calling until a noisy old hen strutted out with big red in tow.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #53
jman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
I'm pretty sure that was a BOC tune from one of their newer albums.....

Perfect calling is not always a requirement. I know someone who unintentionally called in a bird with a creaky icebox cover (a cheap Coleman).
And a few years ago I thought I had another hunter sitting 40 or so away doing the worst job of calling that I had ever heard. I was going to read him the riot act about loud and too frequent calling until a noisy old hen strutted out with big red in tow.
More cowbell!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #54
Buckladd

How's everyone's hunting going? I got out to call for my cousin over the weekend and we got drenched. Called in a few hens, including a bearded one, which he didn't shoot. 'Still trying to get him his first turkey.

Meanwhile, sorry to repeat myself about mouth calls....
http://outdoornews.com/2017/05/08/ca...rks-just-fine/
Old 05-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #55
mspaci

one in Ny & one in Ct so far, Mike
mspaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 PM   #56
mgc

I made it home to the North Country this week and was able to put in two days of scouting and hunting. It's truly amazing how many birds there are compared to Western NY and other parts of the state.
Tuesday afternoon I went out and picked out a spot on a piece of property I have permission to hunt. I had seen birds there during Easter weekend. I figured I had only a small chance to see anything there and assumed that the owner of the adjoining land might have already harvested one of the two Toms or would have worked them so hard that they would have moved. Wednesday AM I went and set up in the spot I picked...it was quite cold for mid-May, 35 degrees. I sat for a few minutes and then made a few pretty loud calls...I have had pretty good luck drawing birds when they are still roosted...to my surprise I had a gobble back.... I called again and got another response. The birds were roosted on the property I was hunting, not too far away and to the SW. I was hopeful that I could get them to come towards me...knowing that their normal routine is to head SE and across the adjoining (posted) field. I sat for 15 more minutes and made a couple quieter clucks on my slate...I was surprised to get another response. The bird was still South of me and seemed to have moved farther away. I gave a couple soft calls with a mouth call and stopped. It was now almost 45 minutes since the first gobble, sunrise had come and gone...I assumed that they were following their routine and heading away from me. To my surprise I heard another gobble to the South but to the west..they were moving away from me but to the West, staying on the property I was hunting.....I made a couple more scrapes on the box call and sat tight...
45 minutes later there was still nothing...complete silence (except for the geese, crows, jays, cardinals, pileated WP's, robins and thrushes).
That's when I saw his head about 60 yards away in some really thick brush...I don't even know how I saw him, his head was just something that hadn't been there before so I noticed it. I sat dead still....he was headed right to me in a very convoluted way....if he decided to keep coming. His head vanished..he was gone. Then I noticed a couple hens working towards my decoy...slowly, back and forth, into the woods, back on the path, in sight, out of sight, barely visible..but there. They were feeding. Another hen popped out in front of where the Tom had been. She worked her way out into the posted clearing... My heart sunk. If they went out in the clearing, I was out of luck...I needed to have them stay on the property I was hunting. The hen kept working out into the clearing..eating slowly and moving farther out... she was about 40 yards and still moving. Then the other two hens appeared to my right, SW a bit, feeding, barely visible but moving right towards me.... I made a very light cluck with my mouth call and the Tom popped out behind the hens... Oh yeah... at first he was behind some bushes...there was a bit of an opening but I didn't like the shot... I waited. He disappeared again. Then there he was again, coming towards me slowly, 30 yards,then 25, then a perfect open shot...he was looking right in my direction. I picked up the SX and gave him a nice breakfast of number 5 Federal.... the three hens flew off. One landed about 30 yards from me and sat looking at me... I sat back, she took off, I filled out my tag, snacked on a pecan log and enjoyed taking it all in. I had been skunked at that spot for two years because the birds moseyed off in the wrong direction...but not Wednesday.
In the afternoon I met a friend of my fathers at his farm. He wanted to get a bird...it had been years since he hunted. We walked his property...I saw lot's of potential, no birds but a wing feather and a somewhat fresh dropping....there was hope. I picked out a big basswood for us that gave us a nice setup. He would be looking into the woods up and down the hill and towards where I thought the birds should be. I would sit on the other side looking towards a field and downhill towards the brook...I was planning to call and see if we could get him a bird. It's my habit to shoot only one bird a year.

When I got to his house yesterday AM he was sitting on the back steps with his dog. His gun was leaned against the railing. He was ready to go. We were setup under the basswood by 5:10...
I waited a while and made a couple harsh box calls. It was quiet....I sat tight and made a couple more loud calls and then closed my eyes for a while. 20 minutes later I made a couple calls with my mouth call.. I heard some odd noises from his side of the tree..pretty far away. I wasn't quite sure what it was. He later said that beaver had slapped it's tail in the creak a couple times. I wear an ear plug in the right ear...I didn't hear it.
Then he asked me, did you see the bird come out of the tree? No, I didn't..again, his side of the tree. I made a couple light calls on my slate...then I saw the bird up on the hill..looking right at me..70 yards behind some trees. I made a soft call with the mouth call...he gained 30 yards and headed towards my decoy...then he kept going...towards me...I was stuck but my partner had his gun up and was ready. BOOM! We both sat there for a while. I called a bit more, we talked, he was so wired. What a morning.....we moseyed back to his house and had a fine breakfast...pancakes, bacon, coffee...
"What about geese he asked." The geese land on my fields. Would you like to come back in the fall?
You bet...
Old 05-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #57
EagleCrag

mgc -that must stand for magic! Great hunt and story, I enjoyed it very much.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #58
Buckladd

Good stories, MGC. I just came off the mountain myself. I took my doctor on his first turkey hunt. We got to the spot before light and he realized he forgot his shells. I didn't even have a gun with me as I'm saving my second tag for a trip next weekend. So, back to town we go and got back up there as quick as we could. We weren't in woods ten minutes when we heard a gobble. So we set up and 15 minutes later a jake came in and Doc got his first turkey at 20 yards. It was quite a thrill!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:43 AM   #59
jman22

Nice write up mgc. Congrats. Same to you Dan. Does this mean free office visits till next spring?? Haha
Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #60
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman22 View Post
Nice write up mgc. Congrats. Same to you Dan. Does this mean free office visits till next spring?? Haha
I've still got a tag I'm saving for a trip next weekend with some other guys. So, I've been out calling for others.