Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #41
Stillhunter

Well said mspaci, you summed it up perfectly. The regular folks lose. Haven't heard anything on this but did see that a budget proposal has been put forward. Hope it was left out.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:18 PM   #42
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspaci View Post
I have always said that QDMA will be our end. Its trophy hunting in disguise. Make no bones about it, thats what it is plain & simple. Its rich guys wanting to control what every one else is doing. Dont shoot a small buck so I can shoot a big one later. All the private land gets leased up, & we have no where to hunt but public. No more knocking on doors or doing summer chores for hunting rights. Thanks QDMA, the money always wins.

mspaci,

You hit the nail directly on the head. well said.

I'm sick and tired of knocking on doors only to have the farmer say sorry my land is leased for deer hunting. I only want to hunt small game, but the horn hunters don't want anybody their leases, and they get pissy when someone wants to maybe hunt the property once or twice a year for small game.

I am really scared to see what hunting looks like in the future for my 6 week old son.

Bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #43
Fly Rodder

Thankfully, there's a few million acres of public land to hunt.

I'd like a trophy buck every season and my goal is kill one in the ADKs. My friend and I are have a saying between us: harvest does down south and hunt bucks up north. I like to put a deer or two in the freezer with the bow in October and then I have November to chase mature whitetail bucks. I'm not interested in deer leases or food plots or keeping people out. I do have access to a small chunk of private land that I hunt on with a few other people. One of them approached me about leasing it from the property owner (a childhood friends of mine) so we could put in food plots and kick other people off. I told him I wasn't interested. It's only 75 acres, the deer are generally transient, and there are people who hunt the surrounding parcels as well. Which is the crux of mandatory antler restrictions - people are afraid that the big buck they're growing is going to wander off the range and get killed by someone else.

I know of a big QDMA guy who leases thousands of acres for himself, puts out a pile of trail cameras, and kills a nice buck every season. He's still pushing for antler restrictions. For the amount of money you can spend on leases, foodplots and everything else, you can book a whitetail hunt out west every other year and kill a 150"+ deer.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #44
Buckladd

An interesting perspetive at the national level:
https://nationaldeeralliance.com/pre...hunting-issues

A recent article in the QDMA issue has similar views.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #45
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
An interesting perspetive at the national level:
https://nationaldeeralliance.com/pre...hunting-issues

A recent article in the QDMA issue has similar views.
Interesting perspective. Thanks for the link....
I pass on bucks every season.. quite a few...and I'm not a horn hunter. I often take deer with gnarly scraggly racks to get them out of the gene pool. I'm not keen on telling me I can't do that anymore. Apparently I'm not alone in that approach.
Politics have no place in the forest.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #46
geogymn

How is AR good from a conservation point of view ( how is AR good for the herd)?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #47
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
How is AR good from a conservation point of view ( how is AR good for the herd)?
Letting the herd age a bit allows the deer, especially the bucks, a chance to grow a bit, compete in the rut, which should in theory allow for more genetic diversity at the regional level.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM   #48
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Letting the herd age a bit allows the deer, especially the bucks, a chance to grow a bit, compete in the rut, which should in theory allow for more genetic diversity at the regional level.
Thanks! It would behoove the proponents of AR to push this theory. My first instinct is to reject this theory but I will try to keep an open mind until more information is presented.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:06 AM   #49
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Thanks! It would behoove the proponents of AR to push this theory. My first instinct is to reject this theory but I will try to keep an open mind until more information is presented.
Agreed. I don't think the idea of letting the deer grow a bit is the controversial aspect of this issue. Rather I think it's how it's being pushed: via legislative initiative.

If hunters and hunter groups want deer to grow more in some areas, they should talk with the DEC and work it via their office. Making environmental/conservation policy decisions through the state legislature doesn't set a good precedent.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #50
Buckladd

There is research that says older bucks are more prone to CWD and ARs would be the first thing to go if CWD spreads. DEC found no biological advantage for increasing ARs during the process that led to last year's decision to make ARs voluntary. They say the issue is purely social. MGC should be able to legally take all the gnarly, scraggly bucks he wants.

Last season I passed up two spikes, both in the Adirondacks, including one on the last day of the Northern Zone rifle season. Mainly because our group had a good year and I had plenty of venison. 2015 was a different story and I took a small 4-pointer on the last Saturday of the season. Up to that point we'd only taken one buck. I like having the option to shoot or pass and don't want to have to count antlers on a deer running by me.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #51
Stillhunter

Some good news if you are opposed to mandatory AR'S. I heard back from my NYS Senator today and the AR topic was removed from the budget. Next we have to hope it does not get passed as a bill.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #52
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Some good news if you are opposed to mandatory AR'S. I heard back from my NYS Senator today and the AR topic was removed from the budget. Next we have to hope it does not get passed as a bill.
That is good news!
Be sure to comment on the actual bill... follow the link that is attached early in this post and make sure that your opinion shapes the outcome....
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #53
Buckladd

Quote:
Yes, the AR package, crossbow expansion and lower hunting age were all omitted from the budget.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #54
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Yes, the AR package, crossbow expansion and lower hunting age were all omitted from the budget.
Why was all of that omitted?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #55
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Why was all of that omitted?
Once the budget got past the April 1 deadline this type of stuff takes a back seat to the main budget issues.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #56
Stillhunter

There was a lot of strong developing resistance and heated debate surrounding these items which could have delayed a budget agreement further. From what I heard from talking with some of the co-sponsoring senators offices they were surprised to be getting the strong push back from their constituents. Communicating does work!
They were feeling pressure to deliver a budget so they removed them. This was a good thing because the budget process is not the way to address these issues.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:37 PM   #57
St.Regis

Quote:
This was a good thing because the budget process is not the way to address these issues.
The LEGISLATIVE process is not the way to address these issues.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #58
Stillhunter

The DEC already decided and communicated the direction. St. Regis I was saying it is a good thing the budget process did not "rubber stamp" approve AR's. The issue should be thrown out. We are in agreement.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #59
Bounder45

Quote:
There was a lot of strong developing resistance and heated debate surrounding these items which could have delayed a budget agreement further. From what I heard from talking with some of the co-sponsoring senators offices they were surprised to be getting the strong push back from their constituents. Communicating does work!
They were feeling pressure to deliver a budget so they removed them. This was a good thing because the budget process is not the way to address these issues.
I see why there was resistance to the AR, but the crossbow and the lower hunting age has resistance? If it does, I'm confused why.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #60
St.Regis

Stillhunter, We are on the same page.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote