Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
bridgeman

Ampersand Mt. Snow Depth

Any recent updates on the snow depth for Ampersand Mtn.? Planning on heading up on good friday. I will be carrying shoes and spikes. Just curious how the melt is progressing.

Thanks
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Trail Boss

I don't have beta for Ampersand but you can extrapolate from the conditions I experienced on Lyon Mountain this past Sunday. Soft "mashed potatoes" snow covered everything from 1600 feet (where I parked my car) to the summit (3830'). The trail lies on the mountain's northeastern side.

Ampersand's trail lies on its northwestern side and runs from 1600 feet to 3352'.

The 1-mile access road was unplowed and impassible so I walked it (using Trail Crampons). I switched to snowshoes for the trail.

Most everyone else I met also used snowshoes. The few who didn't left several impressively deep post-holes (right into underlying water) and really mashed those potatoes (i.e. left behind a churned trail). It was a very warm day so I don't imagine their wet footwear caused them much grief but they sure made a mess of things (especially for skiers ... and yes I did meet one skier).

Chazy Lake and distant wind farm.

More pics.