Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
SpencerVT

Anyone know when Gulf Brook rd toward Boreas Ponds opens?

I've heard you can drive about 3.5 miles down it. But it's unplowed.
Anyone know if you can drive the ~3.5 miles down it now? Or is there a gate that's not unlocked yet? Thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:27 AM   #2
Justin

There is a gate about 100 yards up from the Blue Ridge Road, and pending the final outcome of the classification, it probably won't be opened until after the spring mud season.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 AM   #3
Buckladd

Two weeks ago there was still well over a foot of snow up there. A nearby hunting club has mud-locks on their gates now, meaning they can't drive in. So, like Jason says DEC likely won't open the gate until mud season passes.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #4
SpencerVT

Thanks! I climbed 2 peaks from the LOJ area this weekend and I was surprised about the lack of snow in that area. I went up to 3,350' and only needed my snowshoes for about 10 minutes the entire trip. So I imagine the snow on the Gulf Brook Rd is pretty well gone by now, but as for mud season that's a different story....
Old 04-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #5
Justin

Spencer,
Just an FYI... Last spring it only took my friend Bill and I about 2.5 hours to hike to the bridge & dam at Boreas Ponds from the gate near Blue Ridge Rd (with overnight backpacks).
- Justin
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
SpencerVT

Thanks Justin, however, I am ultimately trying to go in that way to climb Cheney Cobble and North River peak. Was hoping to drive the first 3.5 miles, then bike, then hike the mountains. Since they're such long tough climbs, I want to try and cut down on the entry time as much as possible. Was hoping to get up there before the bugs come out, but the gate may not be open until after then it seems. I may just bike the whole thing to the dam.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
Justin

Gotcha!
FWIW, last summer it took me 45 mintues to bike to the bridge & dam at Boreas Ponds from the gate near Blue Ridge Rd. Worst deer flies I have ever experienced!