Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Spring trout

We have been keeping each other updated in the ice out thread. With a good majority of the lakes open now i am going to start a general thread for us to start sharing our pics and reports. I will be heading into st regis area saturday morning and will camp until monday. Will most likely stay close to follensby area. Dont want to be surprised to find ice in the backwoods ponds. Going to aim for the lean to but highly unlikely as it will most likely be taken from friday night. Will have tents and will pick a spot out there none the less. If anyone is out that way and sees us swing by.

Tight lines

Ryan
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
wildbrookies

Good luck out at the ponds this weekend! Yeah, its been pretty quiet with trout reports. As for me, still holding tight.Thinking next weekend I`ll make my first trip out on a local stream. If no trout, maybe the FiddleHeads will be popping then. Good luck to all venturing out.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM   #3
Buckladd

If you're on Facebook, here's what's going on in Warren County
https://www.facebook.com/36670658704...type=3&theater
Old 04-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Well we didnt get anything from polliwog. Water is sooooooo cold nothing was biting. Saw very few surface over the few days. Ended up fishing worms in a backwoods pond to get a few brookies.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Went out a bit before work today. Got into a few backwoods pond brookies with worms. Tried a few areas of the Saranac river to see if it was stocked yet with no luck. Moose pond gate is locked up for who knows how long. I was able to get down it over a week ago but its been closed since. Looks like a lot surfacing on Colby, not sure if its stocked or if it was perch. may try there tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
EagleCrag

A friend and I hit a pond in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness today. My friend was using a lake clear and hammered them. Lost count of the ones he caught. I got 6. A bit humbling for me while watching my friend pull in so many. The fish were rising, lots of them at times, taking a midge I believe but they didn't like my imitation. :-) As the weather and day warmed up we could see more insect activity. Backswimmers present and we also saw a couple of mayflies hatch but couldn't get close enough to identify them. My legs are now killing me after the hike in with a heavy pack. I'm convinced that everything in that area is uphill! All in all, a great day though. Water temp (surface near shore) was 52 degrees.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
A friend and I hit a pond in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness today. My friend was using a lake clear and hammered them. Lost count of the ones he caught. I got 6. A bit humbling for me while watching my friend pull in so many. The fish were rising, lots of them at times, taking a midge I believe but they didn't like my imitation. :-) As the weather and day warmed up we could see more insect activity. Backswimmers present and we also saw a couple of mayflies hatch but couldn't get close enough to identify them. My legs are now killing me after the hike in with a heavy pack. I'm convinced that everything in that area is uphill! All in all, a great day though. Water temp (surface near shore) was 52 degrees.
Don't let it get you down, Eagle. Your day will come!

Were the mayflies mahogany brown with slate wings, maybe size 14? Paraleps. My second favorite pond hatch after Hexes.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #8
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Fished two ponds yesterday in perfect conditions. Experienced on-fire activity for about 20 minutes and then steady sporadic action the rest of the time. Between three of us we got many fish 9-19 inches. My pick of the trip was this male that was like a football, picture doesn't do it great justice but it was a fatty.

Plus some other medium sized females:

One pond had a swarm of midges 100 feet high that you could hear buzzing at high frequency. Some wabbler/worm people we ran into weren't catching anything. All fish caught on flies, mostly casting some trolled. Fish were keyed into a certain depth and retrieve.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #9
ADKxplorer

Nice brookies! Especially that top guy. Hope to get out this weekend for the first time this year. How were water temps?
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

well today was a flop on colby. Ton of fish freshly stocked marked on fish finder and little to no takers. Clear blue skies, few jumping here and there but very tight lipped. We left at 10 am due to no action. Surface temp on colby 50 deg.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Very nice, CW! That fat one definitely places you at the top of the Spring leaderboard. Let the Brookie games begin!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ball View Post
well today was a flop on colby. Ton of fish freshly stocked marked on fish finder and little to no takers. Clear blue skies, few jumping here and there but very tight lipped. We left at 10 am due to no action. Surface temp on colby 50 deg.
Yesterday evening there was a good hatch of midges with dimples all over Colby. The only fish that were caught was by the resident osprey.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
EagleCrag

VT: The mayfly was more likely the former--definitely not big enough to be a hex. I didn't get a good look at it because it was head high when I spotted it and then silouetted against the sky so it was difficult to tell color, but a size 14 seems about right. When cleaning the fish we kept, I could pick out a dragon fly nymph and many smaller flies that were too far decomposed to tell what they were. One fish had hundreds of tiny larvae of some kind, about as big around as a hook shank, light grey in color and less than 1/4 inch long. Anyone know what they were? Only noticed them in one fish.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 PM   #14
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Got out for 2 hours this morning before the 40 degree thunderstorms hit. Got another really fat fish, they must have gone on the feed when it got warm a week ago.

Unfortunately, this cooler weather has all but shut down the midge hatch and everything else where I was. Got lucky on this one with my last cast as I was about to give up. Then proceeded to get absolutely drenched for over an hour as I hiked out.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #15
RipVanWinkle

I'm looking to fish some small streams in the SW ADK this coming weekend- unfortunately the forecast is showing some cold rain.

Has anyone been hitting up the streams or just the ponds? I'm hoping the small stream brookies are hungry next weekend.

The fish downstate were absolutely voracious this past saturday with the warm weather.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #16
ADKxplorer

Another nice fish CW, looks like you've had a good start to the season. I was on the water for maybe 40 minutes my first trip out yesterday before the cold thunderstorms hit and I hiked 2 miles back out in the downpour.
ADKxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Was on a small pond yesterday with a buddy and man was it on. Between the two of us we landed over 30 brookies of all sizes. We each brought home 3 that got gill hooked. So many fish on the surface to bad I didn't have the fly rod.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #18
baisleytom

Thursday and Friday the fishing was pretty good in the southern ADK . Caught a bunch, ate a couple . Surface water temp was 53F. We got out the woods Saturday morning just in time to miss the rain.
baisleytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #19
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

Nice, my days off are generally sunday mondays and this weather looks like crap haha. Will try for a bit tomorrow morning and see what i can get.