Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

So I was out too

I took Friday off and fished a favorite pond for two days. Some success but not the fish I was looking for. Water temp was 44, which explains a lot. Enclosed is a sample of what came to hand.

Did I mention it was cold and rained both days? I had on every bit of warm clothing I own and was still ccccold! At least my new rain shell kept me bone dry.

On Sunday I met up with Creekwader on another pond. This was one of his faves, advertised as sure fire, can't possibly miss. So of course we both blanked. This was the 2nd time we've fished together and both times no fish! I'm beginning to wonder about that guy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4210304.jpg (120.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg P4210301.jpg (108.1 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg P4210299.jpg (116.5 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg P4210297.jpg (112.5 KB, 264 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
Stillhunter

Very nice. Is that an egg sucking leech type of pattern in the middle pic? Thanks for sharing.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Very nice. Is that an egg sucking leech type of pattern in the middle pic? Thanks for sharing.
That is an English fly in the middle pic. A Booby to be precise. A translucent, olive sparkle Booby. I threw everything else in my box at them but that's the one fly they wanted. Go figure.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
wildbrookies

Nice photos of gorgeous brookies! Thanks for posting your outing. Some guys it just take awhile to break the ice,literally. Give him a few more chances....haha!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #5
Pauly D.

Very nice VT! Do you fish the boobie with sinking line?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Very nice VT! Do you fish the boobie with sinking line?
Yes, on a type 5 full sink line. Its advantage may be that the fly sinks to follow the line and then hangs almost neutral during the slow retrieve. Interestingly, every single hookup was on the pause, not the strip.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #7
chaser
pond jockey

Great job VT, you can never go wrong with the Booby. I'm surprised that the strip Booby didn't work for you???
Old 04-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
Great job VT, you can never go wrong with the Booby. I'm surprised that the strip Booby didn't work for you???
I think the issue was that the fish were cold and wouldn't move too fast to chase something down. That will change and so will the winning technique.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Nice photos of gorgeous brookies! Thanks for posting your outing. Some guys it just take awhile to break the ice,literally. Give him a few more chances....haha!
WB, thanks for the vote of confidence. We have to bear in mind that VT lured me to a fishless pond last fall under the pretense of 'secret, unfished, football shaped brookies' and well...that didn't exactly pan out so I guess we're on the level. Also, you have to question his reading comprehension skills. Somehow 'I don't usually start fishing this pond till June' turned into 'surefire, can't miss'. What can you do.

I will have many opportunities in the coming weeks to redeem myself, starting tomorrow. I also happen to know exactly to within a yard of where he caught the above brookies and will go there when the water's warmed up a bit to see if indeed the big ones are there or not. The brookie race is on!
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post

\ This was the 2nd time we've fished together and both times no fish! I'm beginning to wonder about that guy...
haha could say the same about you! we're 0-2 as well. or you might just be absolutely fantastic at photoshop.

Good to see you guys got into em as well, it's nice to see that the grip of winter is fading even more and we're almost fully off and running. now if we can just get the rivers warmed up we'll be set!

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post

Did I mention it was cold and rained both days? I had on every bit of warm clothing I own and was still ccccold!

O

Poor baby. Maybe you should take up backgammon. Nothing like a booby fishing a booby.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
serotonin
ember

Well done Gentlemen.

FWiW, Hendricksons are now hatching south of the Blue Line
and fish are taking them on top.

Some Stoneflies emerging too.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #13
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Poor baby. Maybe you should take up backgammon. Nothing like a booby fishing a booby.
Glen's reaction when told it was 44 degrees and raining and it was time to go fishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5010079.jpg (85.5 KB, 138 views)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
WB, thanks for the vote of confidence. We have to bear in mind that VT lured me to a fishless pond last fall under the pretense of 'secret, unfished, football shaped brookies' and well...that didn't exactly pan out so I guess we're on the level. Also, you have to question his reading comprehension skills. Somehow 'I don't usually start fishing this pond till June' turned into 'surefire, can't miss'. What can you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
haha could say the same about you! we're 0-2 as well. or you might just be absolutely fantastic at photoshop.
Hey, I caught the fish. Maybe the two of you should go out as a control for the experiment that ascertains who the fishing jinx is.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
Glen
Check please

Vtflyfish and his boobies

So sad. I think he got these on a long red booby.

Really, I've tried to get him on the straight and narrow but deep down, well, nuff said....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave C worm pic.jpg (66.7 KB, 129 views)
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Not a booby , it was a bobber - worm and bobber.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote