Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
gmorin71

This weekend

Anyone know if the state has made any sort of push for new cell towers? I am asking because I did (or attempted) another overnight in a pond this weekend and, for the 3rd time this season, I had damn near full service and 4g. I thought this was supposed to be a backwoods experience!

Anyways, back to the fishing. Hiked into the pond, and let's just say the conditions are drastically different from the 1st 2 weeks following initial ice out. This is a normal pattern I know but it seems to be in full effect. Fishing was slow slow slow. I can deal with that, it's part of fishing, but the wind was ripping making the entire experience overall not that pleasant. With that in mind, I packed up my entire camp and headlamped it out of the woods. I woke up the next morning and hit a river and lost an absolute beast rainbow. Would have been my biggest rainbow ever, but that will forever remain just a story as the fly popped out as I was netting it due to my stupidity. at least I got to fight it for a while.

I was surprised to catch a nice brookie! This was probably my best stream caught brookie outside of my catches in Maine. I don't catch very many stream brookies in the areas I fish. Doing another pond this weekend hopefully this week kicks up the activity.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
bosco

brookie

that is a nice stream brookie! what kind of fly? dry, wet, streamer? no specific dressing necessary.

bosco
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
gmorin71

He took an olive bugger. My goal for the day was mainly to explore some new stretches so I walked the stream with a shooting head line and the bugger the whole time.

Lee Wulff
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
bosco

gotta love the wooley bugger
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #5
Ryan Ball
NYOutdoors

I know here in the Saranac lake area there are some new smaller hotspots being put up. Not for say towers but there are a few businesses that are putting something up on their buildings and property.
Ryan Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #6
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Try this..... Turn the Damn phone off....instant backwoods experience....

When you have the fisdh of the season on the line and the phone rings, are you going to answer it?

My phone has held a charge for an entire 2 week trip. I turn it on in the evening and If I have service I call my wife and let her know she can't collect the insurance yet, I may check voice mails too, otherwise it is turned off the rest of the trip.

John M
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Buckladd

Funny, I live in the Adirondack Park and have to be in the right spot in my yard just to get one bar of service. This is not a complaint. At two places I hunt you have to be on highest mountain. Essex Chain has good cell service, right in line with Blue Mt.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
Try this..... Turn the Damn phone off....instant backwoods experience....
Who said I didn't?

Lee Wulff
Old 05-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #9
Gman

Your stream brookie is very intriguing. It appears to be at least 20" or bigger which I would think (others may know better) is by far the biggest brookie taken from a river or stream in many, many years in New York State.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
wildbrookies

Very nice big stream caught brookie! Looks a good 17-19" er?? Just wish you could've netted that monster rainbow!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Nothing better than a stream caught brookie but it will be that rainbow that haunts you for the rest of your days.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
wildbrookies

But, if I know gmorin, he will be haunting that big hog too. He knows where it hangs out and will get it on again. Revenge is sweet! Haha!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 05-04-2017, 07:25 AM   #13
gmorin71

I wish I could claim that as 20" but it definitely isn't. Looking back at that picture I need to learn to use that angle more frequently haha. It is still a very nice fish and I am happy with it as it is definitely my best NY stream caught brookie. I was shocked to see that it even was a brookie when I got it in. My happiness is clouded however as that rainbow is indeed haunting me. I may or may not be heading back after a DR. appointment today WB took a pic of a big patch of fiddleheads for a buddy which means you're on the clock for a report! Not this weekend though streams are going to be torrents

Lee Wulff
Old 05-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #14
ADKpikebuster

Trout fishing is what the expert anglers do until the real fishing season starts

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
wildbrookies

Yes, gmorin,
I`m planning on taking some nice long weekends starting around May 18th. Will be hitting the rivers then. Hope I`ll finally have some worthwhile reports and some photos. Yeah, really getting itchy to tie into something. Struck out last Friday miserably. But, the fiddleheads were just waking up last week, now they should be pickable and hopfully,fishable!

WB
Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #16
gmorin71

welp, so much for round 2 with my rainbow...drove all the way to my parking area only to realize, the nano-second that I arrived, that my waders and boots are still hanging in the garage. nice leisurely drive though I guess.

Lee Wulff
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #17
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
welp, so much for round 2 with my rainbow...drove all the way to my parking area only to realize, the nano-second that I arrived, that my waders and boots are still hanging in the garage. nice leisurely drive though I guess.
Ouch. Of course I've never done anything like that myself. Certainly not the time I hiked into a pond and found no reel in my pack. Nor the time that I arrived at a pond and discovered I had Ross's waders instead of my own. Ross was about 12 at the time...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
wildbrookies

gmorin and VT,

Sadly, I`ve been there and that too.

Arrived early at a stream all geared up and excited to fish until I found no reel to attach to the fly rod.My brother was with me that morning thank God ,so he was nice enough to take turns passing his fly rod back and forth to each other after that person landed one and believe it or nor, we both caught 6 trout a piece !!! Also, drove all the way to yet another river in a big hurry to hike way up river and fish it back, then get to work,only to find I had no wading boots.

Don't worry gmorin, it`ll still be there waiting for you...
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Ouch. Of course I've never done anything like that myself. Certainly not the time I hiked into a pond and found no reel in my pack. Nor the time that I arrived at a pond and discovered I had Ross's waders instead of my own. Ross was about 12 at the time...
of course not, never. it's my first time too. I didn't decide to bite the bullet on a 4.5 mile hike a few years ago to find out that I had forgotten my....flippers. My buddy and I once went to the salmon river, he had forgotten his waders. He ventured off to a spot where he knew he could fish from a wall. He returned an hour later fully geared out in simms waders and boots, probably a collective $600 worth of gear. He freakishly ran into someone we knew that had his extra waders in his truck. haha. This thread took an amusing left turn.

Lee Wulff