Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Last Weekend

I got out Sunday in the wind and found a couple of nice brookies. They liked a micro leech stripped ever so slowly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4280315.JPG (111.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg P4280316.JPG (109.7 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg P4280314.JPG (118.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg P4280321.JPG (102.6 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg P4280319.JPG (107.3 KB, 167 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
Pauly D.

Wow beauties! I was out on Sunday as well and got soaked in 39 degree torrential sleet and rain. I did get some hits on a black micro leech but was probably retrieving it too fast to allow the fish to take it in the cold water.

Had a nice experience getting dunked after trying to sit on the float tube for the first time. Glad it was raining and that I was already wet. Lesson learned! Can't wait to try again this weekend.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
skillzman1

I went out the Sunday before last and hiked to my favorite spot. Carried my inflatable with me which added a bit too much to the pack/hike. Ended up giving myself a heart attack(literally) but I did catch a couple of nice brookies. Bite was slow, water was still cold as the ice went out the week before. They were sipping off the surface and I was trolling with a worm. Caught one trolling and one from shore missed a few others.
Hopefully the rehab goes good so I can get back in there for the dragon fly hatch at the end of the month.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Skillzman, here's wishing you a speedy recovery. None of us are getting any younger and it's distressing when our bodies won't do what they once did so easily. Youth truly is wasted on the young.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Creekwader
Snag Locator

That last one looks like the quintessential little tupper if there ever was one. Or is it a splake...
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Stillhunter

Skillzman1, glad you made it through that serious event and back home safely. Were you on a solo fishing outing?

Vtflyfish... way to go. Very nice brookies. Thanks for sharing as always. Looks like you had them zeroed in.

Last edited by Stillhunter; 05-03-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
gmorin71

skillz, wishing you the best.

VT very nice fish. Leech has been my hot fly as well. Where did you get the inflatable stripping apron? Is that a feature on an older model of the trinity? mine has this one...

http://www.outcastboats.com/float-tu...float-tube.asp

and I am not sure that I love it, but I dont see the one that you have available for purchase in the accessories. I'm still getting used to it and still trying to find the best way to pack it. rolling or folding.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
That last one looks like the quintessential little tupper if there ever was one. Or is it a splake...
Splake. Who would fish for anything else?
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
skillz, wishing you the best.

VT very nice fish. Leech has been my hot fly as well. Where did you get the inflatable stripping apron? Is that a feature on an older model of the trinity?
Mine is the older version. Send them an email and see if they have any. I think they've gotten a fair share of grief about the new apron. Also the fill valves.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
skillzman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Skillzman1, glad you made it through that serious event and back home safely. Were you on a solo fishing outing?
Yeah, it's a pretty steep hike and I carry my inflatable up in the spring and stash it for the summer. Last year I made the trip 25 times or so and decided half way into the season I wasn't carrying a 30+ pound pack up and down each time. I had a bad motor vehicle accident 1.5 yrs ago so I have been dealing with the set backs from that. Last summer was hiking instead of biking and this past winter slowed me down even more. Trying to carry that pack on the second trip of the season after having gained 15lbs over the winters inactivity was not the wisest of choices. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't catch my breath going down the mountain. Tried to work/walk it off for 3 days after but ended up in the hospital mid week getting a stent put in.
Heart attack was on the low pressure side of the heart which is why my breathing was effected. The sturdy heart strength from working out/hiking/biking is what kept me alive overall. Now I have a month of disability to get mended up....hopefully the bite is still on!!
Keep the pictures coming guys I have to live vicariously for a while ...lol

Thanks All for the well wishes! Tight lines!
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
Stillhunter

Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully you will make a strong & full recovery and be able to do that mountain many more times in the future!

Hopefully your story will help to motivate everyone to do more fitness / preparation for the things we love to do in the Adirondacks. I have been guilty of the weekend warrior approach and need to do more biking and better quality eating to continue to be able to hunt and fish as I enter my 60's later this year.

I always feel a little better when I go with a buddy, especially on a challenging outing. There are too many stories of outdoors people who go out and never come back only to be found by searchers or by chance years later. I want to avoid that kind of an ending for my family's sake.

Think I will take my bike for a ride this afternoon now that the sun finally came out.

Thanks again for the motivating story.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
wildbrookies

Nice looking slammers VT!!

And Skillzman, hoping your rehab. gets you back inshape to get you back in the ponds where your heart belongs! Glad , you are improving.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
EagleCrag

Went to my camp the past several days to see how it wintered. The lake it sits on is mostly a bass lake but in the spring there is an occasional brook trout near one of two small tributaries. I was casting near them and caught a bass whose mouth was full of dragon fly nymphs. I couldn't get over how many it had in the back of its mouth. Thus, its not too early to start using them. I also noticed the black flies were out--not biting yet but they will be soon. That's also my key that the fishing is about to pick up. A week ago when I fished a brook trout pond, one of the fish I caught had about a half dozen tiny leeches on it. They weren't much bigger than a freckle but were definitely leeches. Better start tying those micro leeches on a size 20! Any yes, very very nice fish VT.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote