Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
hookman33

Lake George Boat Launch

I want to fish Lake George next week for trout and salmon. My plan was to launch at the state Northwest Bay launch but it's described as a "hand launch." While my boat is only a 12 ft deep V, I trailer it and can't carry it down to the water. Is it possible to launch a small boat at Northwest Bay? If not, where can I launch that will put me in the vicinity of some fishing? My research shows state launches at Million Dollar beach, Northwest Bay, Rogers Rock and Hague. Million Dollar Beach is closest to me but this lake is new to me so any advice will be appreciated.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
smhmmc

Real nice launch next to Million Dollar Beach.
smhmmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
peskypup

Northwest Bay launch is a car top launch into a shallow inlet to the lake. You wouldn't be able to back a trailer in to launch.

Can't speak to the fishing, but the launch at Million Dollar beach is brand new as of last year and really nice for getting in/out and parking. And this time of year it should be free. In addition to the launches you mentioned, there's also the free state launch at Mossy Point at the north end of the lake in Ticonderoga.

The launch in Hague has limited hours (might not actually be open for the year yet) and has a $15 fee for non-residents. Narrowal Marina in Bolton is another option, but charges both to launch and park.

You'll need to get your boat inspected for invasive species prior to launching (free). Information on the inspection system and locations is available here: http://lgboatinspections.com/
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Buckladd

You're not even supposed to park a trailer at N.West Bay, but I've seen lots of guys with small boats like this in the back of a truck go out through there. About a mile out you reach the main lake and smelt usually run in NW-Bay Brook if you want salmon/lakers.

I was at Million Dollar Beach when they put the docks in a few weeks ago and it is a top-notch facility. They haven't started inspecting boats yet but will soon and there will also be a fee beginning Memorial Day weekend. You may also want to look at Mossy Point in the North Basin south of Ticonderoga. That's a free NYS
boat launch.

Be careful in that small boat. LG can get ugly in a hurry.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Actually boat inspections on Lake George Started May 1.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 PM   #6
hookman33

Thanks for the replies and the information.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Keith View Post
Actually boat inspections on Lake George Started May 1.
At MDB? I was there the other day, but no inspectors or DEC folks were around.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
At MDB? I was there the other day, but no inspectors or DEC folks were around.
http://lgboatinspections.com/

7-5
Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adk Keith View Post
Interesting. I knew they started them in early May but there was no one there around 4pm a day last week. It was raining, however. a