Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
Grey-Jay

Sinking line?

Trolling nymphs, streamers, wooly buggers on brook trout ponds nex week having given up this week on LCWabblers. Do you recommend sinking or intermediate line for next week time period neither of which I own. I have access to sinking leader, which I could put on floating line if that is an option? Thanks.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
mgc

It depends upon the pond and where the food is.....
Ideally you should own both a dry and a wet line. That would allow you to make the choice once you see where the fish are feeding.

Depending on the time of day and where you are fishing, at this time of year the fish are going to be closer to the top.

With a wet line you can control the fly depth with your trolling speed. To a lesser extent you may do the same trolling a dry line.
In a pinch you can weight the flies or the line.
That said, if you fish early and late you should be OK with a dry line and a good long sinking leader.
If the fish are deep, you are not going to enjoy much success.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
gmorin71

hats off to you on giving up the wabblers! Dont get me wrong, GREAT way to catch fish, however the kill rate on those things is astronomical. Before I went all fly fishing on still waters I would try a number of different things to prevent deep hooking fish and its just impossible.

I would recommend spending the money on a good intermediate, and going with the $40 rio sinking line. I think the conditions that warrant me using my intermediate are also the conditions that require me to be more precise with my casts/retrieves etc... and the sinking line situations are a little different where that isnt as required. just my 2 cents, but we're all different.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
St.Regis

You could also try a fly behind a LCW, instead of a worm. Crimping the barb will also make C&R easier.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Grey-Jay

I did try a double streamer behind the LCW but lost it on a snag. A local sporting goods store suggests them for artificial waters only where worms are not allowed.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #6
forgedin78

Whoa, hold the phone. Are worms now considered a baitfish?!?!
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #7
Grey-Jay

Was told at fly fishing store that waters listing artificial lures only means no worms. He was referencing a pond near Bolton as an example.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
serotonin
ember

serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Grey-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
This is floating vs sinking?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
forgedin78

Ok. That makes sense then. That is different than waters where baitfish are prohibited.
forgedin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #11
gmorin71

That clarification was needed? haha just bustin balls, just funny because it's kind of obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
Was told at fly fishing store that waters listing artificial lures only means no worms. He was referencing a pond near Bolton as an example.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is online now   Reply With Quote