Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #81
Wildlife

Raquette river lean-tos

Hallo, heading back to the Raquette with friends and would love to share images of any lean-tos folks might like to share to help with our route planning party :-) we stayed at hemlock hill which was beautiful but never really saw or explored other lean-tos. We'll be putting in at long lake and not sure how far down - maybe trombley or tupper lake, further if kids are doing well (ages 4 -13)
Thanks to anyone who can help. Great forum! My user name autocorrected to wildlife from wildlor - oops
Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #82
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Raquette River lean to's # 7 and 8

Old 12-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #83
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Trout Pond (again)

And just a little ways up the Red Horse, here is the Salmon Lake lean to...notice anything missing?

Here is Cedar Lakes lean to #3 and leaning to #1

Old 12-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #84
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
....here is the Salmon Lake lean to...notice anything missing?
I notice a large tree missing.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #85
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

How long has Salmon Lake been gone for? It's been at least 10 years, hasn't it? Yet National Geographic still shows the lean-to on their TI map, even on the newest editions.

Ah, well. At least the new editions only show 1 phantom non-existent lean-to (the first edition showed 2).
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #86
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
How long has Salmon Lake been gone for? It's been at least 10 years, hasn't it?
I'd say well over 10 years for sure.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #87
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I'd say well over 10 years for sure.
Any idea why that lean-to is no longer there?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #88
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Any idea why that lean-to is no longer there?
Some careless fool burned it down. The charred remains were there for some time afterward, long gone now.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #89
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Some careless fool burned it down. The charred remains were there for some time afterward, long gone now.
Well that's a shame!
Who knows, perhaps it was the same careless fool that cut down that tree, which will be visible for many years to come.

Last edited by Justin; 12-12-2014 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 12-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #90
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

That photo is from the summer of 2010...other than the fireplace, there was nary of shred of evidence that a lean to ever stood there. When we traveled through there, and studied the maps in advance, we actually planned tostay at that lean to. Imagine our surprise when we got there with full packs and canoes overhead!!
Old 12-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #91
RichieC

Pillsbury Lean-to & Sampson Lean-to

Pillsbury (3/4 view) and Sampson lean-tos (Straight on).... 3.3 miles uphill into Pillsbury from parking lot at foot of Pillsbury Mountain trail, another 3 (each way) in a day trip to Sampson. Sampson was a bit of a surprise, (why my friend is holding the book) heads under canoes, and trusting we didn't need to refer to maps on such well worn trails... we missed the turnoff to Whitney which is almost an invisible turn off unless you are looking for it, and continued on the highway, figuring the trail to Whitney and it's lean-to would be pronounced. We discovered the lean-to we were at when we looked at the log book. ROFL ! Two things, apparently there is no longer a lean-to on Whitney, and the trail is not well traveled, and the climb down into Sampson is a bear and about twice as far as Whitney would have been! We were a long way and a mountain from out car while fishing on Sampson!

I slept well after this trip, we carried & dragged the boats much farther then we paddled them. While the lakes are very pretty, and loons quite tame (one pair spent a good deal of time 6 feet from our boat... they are VERY LOUD at that distance!) it was the busiest place I have ever canoe camped ...obviously because it being a side hitch on the Northville-Lake Placid Trail. Our full-sized boats raised a few eyebrows and scratched a few heads! We are not used to company dropping directly into our camp and foot traffic at all hours! But they were friendly enough and we scooted over and shared our fire!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pilsbury-lean-to-and-fro.jpg (81.7 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Sampson-Lean-to-IMG_1016rt.jpg (99.1 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by RichieC; 12-16-2014 at 01:09 PM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM   #92
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I don't think that Sampson Lake gets much traffic from NPT through hikers. Most of those through hiking the trail are loathe to go very far out of their way due to the mileage involved in hiking the trail, and Sampson Lake is nearly 3 miles off the NPT. 6 miles round trip is probably nearly half a day of hiking for most through hikers.

Sampson Lake (and Pillsbury Lake) are, however, located on the French Louie Loop, which is a 20 mile backpacking loop that traverses many of the lakes in the West Canada Lakes. Because it can be easily hiked in a long weekend, the trip is moderately popular. The backpackers you encountered were probably people hiking this loop.

And yeah, the old portage trails that used to connect Pillsbury, Whitney, Cedar Lakes haven't been maintained in years. Trying to follow them is a significant exercise in backcountry navigation.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #93
Justin

Quote:
...the old portage trails that used to connect Pillsbury, Whitney, Cedar Lakes haven't been maintained in years. Trying to follow them is a significant exercise in backcountry navigation.
They had been cleared when I was last through there in Nov. '13.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #94
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
They had been cleared when I was last through there in Nov. '13.
Interesting. I haven't been on them since 2009. I wonder if it was done with DEC authorization?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #95
Justin

Quote:
Interesting. I haven't been on them since 2009. I wonder if it was done with DEC authorization?
That I couldn't say, but it appeared that a portion of the Pillsbury Lake leg had been re-routed further up the shoulder of Noisey Ridge, bypassing a large pocket of blowdown on the original route.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #96
RichieC

Quote:
I don't think that Sampson Lake gets much traffic from NPT through hikers. Most of those through hiking the trail are loathe to go very far out of their way due to the mileage involved in hiking the trail, and Sampson Lake is nearly 3 miles off the NPT. 6 miles round trip is probably nearly half a day of hiking for most through hikers.

Sampson Lake (and Pillsbury Lake) are, however, located on the French Louie Loop, which is a 20 mile backpacking loop that traverses many of the lakes in the West Canada Lakes. Because it can be easily hiked in a long weekend, the trip is moderately popular. The backpackers you encountered were probably people hiking this loop.

And yeah, the old portage trails that used to connect Pillsbury, Whitney, Cedar Lakes haven't been maintained in years. Trying to follow them is a significant exercise in backcountry navigation.
LOL... on the way back we had our maps and compasses out and looked for it... we ass-u-me'd it to be plain.. it is there, right about where a noticeable rutted former road ascends the hill. It goes up and over the bank and you can make out an opening into the woods across a small field, but it is very faint. BTW, At the top of the hill is a set of old wood spoked wheels, axel and tires. LOL these are the third similar entire unit I have run across. Must be they'd bring in a whole new rear assembly when they broke!

The hikers that stopped in were on the Northville-Lake Placid trail and were swinging over as a side trip specifically see/stay at the Pillsbury lean-to, they both came in from the north, from th eCedar lake trail we turned off of to get to Pillsbury and both left headed south. The one came in at 11:30 p.m. or so, we watched his head lamp dance through the trees long before he showed up. He was quite happy at the cold beer we handed him! Lean-to packed with us and the first guy, he set up his tent. We base camped there and day tripped to Whitney to fish, though ended up at Sampson. That Sampson trail is well worn. We were going to see if we could cut up to Cedar from WHitney- along the trail on the map... LOL, but we didn't quite get to Whitney! No trail that we could make out between Pillsbury and Cedar like that which shows up on the map near the Pillsbury outlet. We scoured the shore (from the lake) looking for any sign of a landing. Only very wet swamp and very thick undergrowth.

This and similar trips in the rainforest of the Adirondacks, which is more jungle then wide open, where you can be 5' from a trail and not know it... or right on top of it and not be able to tell... or never find a trail that should exit a blowdown detour, especially when you run into another, ( and sometimes another. and sometimes even another) before getting back on... .. are why I got my GPS. Yeah I know... a compass... and I can certainly make one work.. but we never seem to have much time.

Last edited by RichieC; 12-16-2014 at 05:15 PM..
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #97
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Rich,
We hiked the former trail from Pillsbury Bay on Cedar Lakes to the beaver flow, where we found fresh Justin tracks. He was there at the same flow earlier the same day, but we missed him. We continued on the S side of the flow along the former trail to Pillsbury...it was extremely thick with much deadfall. After losing and regaining the old trail for a few times, we gave up and headed back to Cedar lakes. Our hope was that we could carry back between Cedar Lakes and Pillsbury. When I got home and checked the GPS track, I realized that we were within .2 miles of Pillsbury!! OH well, it was too thick for carrying that day anyway...but maybe now it could be a little easier.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #98
Justin

Continuing the theme...

Pharaoh Lake #3:

Pharaoh Lake #4:

Oxshoe Pond:

Little Rock Pond:

Hamilton Lake Stream:

West Lake #1:

T Lake:

Raquette Lake, Boucher Point:

Old 12-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #99
adkmoose

Great pics Justin , thanks for sharing.
Many years from now , you will be able to look back and know that you made the most out of the time that you were given.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #100
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Fishing Rock, Newcomb Lake

Stony Pond ( I had to really dig for this one...from '92)

Raquette Lake, Big Island