Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #1
tughillblueline

Arrow Black Fly Season Conditions Reports 2018

I know we outdoor types sometimes have to buck up and take the bitter w/ the sweet, but I thought a thread where posters could chime in about local black fly conditions experienced in various parts of the 'daks would be good to start as we head into Memorial Day Weekend, June, summer, and the worst of the little buggers.

It might help those of us who live outside of the park, but enjoy visiting for hikes, bikes, paddles, etc. to plan our outings.

Anyone getting bit out there, yet? All reports welcome until they subside for this year (and get replaced by deerflies, etc.)

Happy trails -- dry, wet, or otherwise.
tughillblueline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
jblaser

They weren't really out this past weekend in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness so the treatment of my clothes and gear with Permethrin did the trick.
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Woodly

Digging and raking in the Saranac Lake and Wilmington areas was stirring them up over the weekend
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Kevin7

I saw no black flies at all on the whole of the East Trail to Rocky Peak Ridge when I hiked it last Thursday, May 17.
Kevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
dpc34

No BF on the East side of Lake George...yet..spending a lot of time on Buck and Pilot....so far no flies...but lots of deer...
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
bluequill

Quite a few in the NE part of the park, not biting though. They're just being annoying.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Tug Hill

Last week when I was putting up my next winters firewood, they were out in full force on the Plateau, but yesterday their numbers seemed to be dwindling .
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
Wldrns

Cutting firewood near White Lake between Forestport and Old Forge yesterday. Lots of swarming and just plain annoying, but they seemed to mainly keep away while chainsawing, otherwise not much interested in latching on with their serrated jaws. I have heard that there are several different species of Black Flies, the first ones to hatch out typically seem to not be worst of the big biters.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
crkmeup

I backpacked the Ha De Ron Dah wilderness over the weekend (Friday-Sunday). Wore long pants with gators, short sleeve shirt, and pre-treated my clothing. I have about 15 bites on my arms but the bugs were not bad at all.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
bassanglers912

For permethrin, are you using a 1% or 0.5% solution? I bought some at 10% and have been diluting to 0.5%, but want to make sure that is strong enough.
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 PM   #11
jblaser

I just grabbed a spray bottle of Permethrin from Walmart and gave everything a good shot of it. It is the 0.5% solution. I read that it is better to soak it in a garbage bag and will probably give that a try sometime. I just need to find a source for a larger container of it.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Bob K

Had nuisance black flies on the way to and at Wicox Lake last week on a day trip. The same yesterday & last night camping in Buttermilk area along the Hudson. Not biting yet. No mosquitos.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
ADKdude

Didn't encounter very many at all Sunday at Stillwater, yet they were horrendous in swarms at Vanderwhacker yesterday, while as in Saranac I didn't notice any. Raquette hardly any as well. All as of this weekend.
ADKdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #14
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Swarming but not biting much in southern Ferris Lake WF area.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 PM   #15
potterhomestead

spent a week, last week in the southern adk's. swarming black flies, not biting yet. i'll bet they are biting by now! it is the season, right?
potterhomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:36 PM   #16
SyrMatt

I picked up one single bite in the Long Lake and Cedar River area sometime between Friday and Monday. They started swarming heavily when it warmed up Monday.

Just bought the backpacker Thermacell unit to try out for the long weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
SyrMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 PM   #17
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
I just grabbed a spray bottle of Permethrin from Walmart and gave everything a good shot of it. It is the 0.5% solution. I read that it is better to soak it in a garbage bag and will probably give that a try sometime. I just need to find a source for a larger container of it.
It must be used as directed. It can be toxic and does kill beneficial insects.
Its brand names are, 'Nix' and 'LyClear'.
It can be found at Walmart, Tractor Supply type stores, eBay, Amazon, sporting good stores, etc.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #18
jblaser

Thanks Woodly. My understanding is that it is a repellent and not designed to kill the insects. I didn't notice any insects dropping around me. They just seemed to keep their distance. I am probably over-cautious, but I use an apron, mask, goggles and heavy rubber gloves when I apply it to my clothing (outdoors). I would rather have the repellent on my clothing rather than apply DEET and other chemicals directly to my skin. But that's just my preference. Thanks again.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
TCD

Climbing at Sharp Bridge 5/23. Flies were out and biting. No problem if walking, but standing still they'd find you quickly.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #20
Lucky13

I was on the Salmon River in Pulaski last week. In town in Pulaski there were no flies, but a few miles up the hill at Pineville, they were thick, and Thursday and Friday I picked up 10 bites that are just going down now. I spoke with someone who had been on the Little John the weekend prior, and he said they were swarming but not biting, so if they have not burned off, they are biting bad now. The saving grace on the hill is that they don't last long. I had hoped to go to the Plains for the weekend, but of course it was only yesterday PM that I saw that the road would be partially open, so now I am looking at Monday. But a report on what may be the Black Fly capital of the planet would be appreciated, I have been back there and wished I had leg weights as I was worried they would carry me back into the woods and strip my carcass!!!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote