Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
esg612

Indian Head & Fish Hawk Cliffs

Looking to hike the Indian Head loop this Sunday (1/28) and am wondering if any of you have been out there recently and can tell me what kind of conditions I can expect to find?

Thanks!
esg612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #2
Woodly

I can't say for sure but I just spoke to a friend in Black Brook/Wilmington and they have lost most of their snow and they said there is plenty of icy spots, so probably at the higher elevation you seek there will be more snow but yet ice also.
Weather forecast for this weekend is 100% chance of rain with highs of 37 and 41. Freezing at night so you should expect ice.

Last edited by Woodly; 01-26-2018 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: more info
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
esg612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
I can't say for sure but I just spoke to a friend in Black Brook/Wilmington and they have lost most of their snow and they said there is plenty of icy spots, so probably at the higher elevation you seek there will be more snow but yet ice also.
Weather forecast for this weekend is 100% chance of rain with highs of 37 and 41. Freezing at night so you should expect ice.
Good to know thanks! I have a few friends that are interested in joining me and they were concerned about the ice, is it doable if they do not have micro spikes?
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by esg612 View Post
... is it doable if they do not have micro spikes?
Doable? It's highly inadvisable. The conditions demand you bring some form of traction.

What will your spikeless friends do when faced with slippery ramps of sheer ice? Attempt to post-hole around the obstacle through a layer of ice-crust over deep snow? That's "fish out of water" behavior right there. They'll needless exhaust themselves and destroy the trail for other, properly equipped, hikers.

I know they rent Microspikes at ADK Loj but that's several miles away from where you want to go. Contact The Mountaineer in nearby Keene Valley and ask if they rent Microspikes.
https://www.mountaineer.com/store-info/

BTW, the area you plan to visit lies on private land (Adirondack Mountain Reserve; AMR). For future reference, had it been to a peak in the eastern High Peaks Wilderness Area (HPWA) you'd be obliged to bring snowshoes. The eastern HPWA is covered by a regulation mandating you "possess and use" snowshoes when there's more than 8" of snow on the ground. Should you choose to change your destination to within the eastern HPWA, your entire group must have snowshoes. If caught, failure to comply can net you a $250 fine (each).

Some of the AMR's rules are listed here (scroll down to Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety)
Old 01-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Looking to hike the Indian Head loop this Sunday (1/28) and am wondering if any of you have been out there recently and can tell me what kind of conditions I can expect to find?

Thanks!
Expect Water Ice and Lots of it.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
esg612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Doable? It's highly inadvisable. The conditions demand you bring some form of traction.

What will your spikeless friends do when faced with slippery ramps of sheer ice? Attempt to post-hole around the obstacle through a layer of ice-crust over deep snow? That's "fish out of water" behavior right there. They'll needless exhaust themselves and destroy the trail for other, properly equipped, hikers.

I know they rent Microspikes at ADK Loj but that's several miles away from where you want to go. Contact The Mountaineer in nearby Keene Valley and ask if they rent Microspikes.
https://www.mountaineer.com/store-info/

BTW, the area you plan to visit lies on private land (Adirondack Mountain Reserve; AMR). For future reference, had it been to a peak in the eastern High Peaks Wilderness Area (HPWA) you'd be obliged to bring snowshoes. The eastern HPWA is covered by a regulation mandating you "possess and use" snowshoes when there's more than 8" of snow on the ground. Should you choose to change your destination to within the eastern HPWA, your entire group must have snowshoes. If caught, failure to comply can net you a $250 fine (each).

Some of the AMR's rules are listed here (scroll down to Rules, Regulations and Outdoor Safety)
Are there any hikes you would recommend?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Trail Boss

Quote:
Are there any hikes you would recommend?
That don't currently require some form of traction? Sorry, can't think of any. It's mid-winter so snowshoes and microspikes are the order of the day.

Sometimes even the 3.5-mile Lake Road can be a slippery affair best done wearing microspikes. You could chance it without spikes but a 7 mile return trip along a road, just to see a lake and dam, is not everyone's idea of fun.

Tags
cliffs, fish, hawk, head, indian