No announcement yet.

Need help finding a lean-to to stay at please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, had it mixed up with Putnam Pond several hiking opportunities to lean-to's but none on the pond. There are some on Taylor Pond, I005 being the best I think. Right next to a brook and not far from the trail that goes around the pond. New one at the end of the pond, but you have to carry everything up a big hill from the pond.

Comment

What's the current state of the so-called trail around Taylor Pond?

I visited it over decade ago, in summer, and it was heavily overgrown. It felt more like a snowmobile trail than a foot trail. Has it improved?
      Looking for views!

Comment

Dead Creek Flow on Cranberry Lake; Put in @ Wannakenna. Lean to at end of Dead creek flow (Janacks Landing) leads to trails to ponds, Cat Mtn, & High Falls on Oswegotchie>
        Last edited by Old Rivers; 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Comment

We were there over the 4th of July. What parts of the trail we saw were wet and overgrown in some of the areas. A DEC officer hiked in and came as far as our site. He said trail got worse from there and towards the end of the pond and hard to find at times.

Comment

Originally posted by 58rover View Post
            Yes it is, he did say canoe in.
            He's looking for a lean-to that he can canoe to, while the rest of his group hikes to it.

The trail around Taylor Pond is a snowmobile trail, but I don't think it gets much use for that purpose, even. It's not something I'd recommend as being family friendly. It's worth pointing out as well that the lean-tos are part of the campground, and reservations and use fees apply in season when the campground is in operation

The hike to the Tioga Point campground would also be kind of rough for novice hikers.

Lake Lila could work- the hike is definitely shorter than 6 miles (maybe 3-4 miles?) but as others have pointed out, there's no guarantee of getting the lean-to. There's a few designated tent sites in the vicinity, though.

Long Lake also comes to mind. The Catlin Bay Lean-tos are about a mile from the trailhead. One of the lean-tos is set back well from the lake and doesn't get a lot use by the motorboating crowd. Hidden Cove is about a mile further up the lake, but also kind of hard to find from the trail.

Note that if you're not staying at a DEC campground, backcountry regulations apply- including a 9 person overnight group size limit (8 person limit in the High Peaks, which includes Long Lake, although I believe you can still get permits for up to 12 people to camp on Long Lake if you contact the DEC in advance).

Comment

"He's looking for a lean-to that he can canoe to, while the rest of his group hikes to it."

DSettahr - Thanks for posting that. I've been gone for a bit so didn't see the need for a reply until you took care of it!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

Originally posted by terijohn View Post
                Taylor Pond itself doesn't have a lean-to you can paddle to, but has several you can hike to from the campsite. You would need tents for a base camp.
                There are several leantos on Taylor Pond that are accessible by water.
                Tent campsites are available at the narrows and near the campsite head quarters.

Comment

The trail to the Taylor Pond leanto on the east side below Catamount can be very, very wet, like knee deep for hundreds [yes hundreds] of yards unless something changed in the last four or five years when I went back there just past the leanto to examine a dead young moose that lay on the trail.
                  That was in the spring time. The DEC was there also taking samples of skin etc, from the moose but they crossed the pond in a small motor boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodly View Post
                    The trail to the Taylor Pond leanto on the east side below Catamount can be very, very wet, like knee deep for hundreds [yes hundreds] of yards unless something changed in the last four or five years when I went back there just past the leanto to examine a dead young moose that lay on the trail.
                    That was in the spring time. The DEC was there also taking samples of skin etc, from the moose but they crossed the pond in a small motor boat.
                    Wow, when I hunted there in the 80s there were guys driving to the lean-to on the south shore.
                    Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckladd View Post
                      Wow, when I hunted there in the 80s there were guys driving to the lean-to on the south shore.
                      In the fall maybe its possible and summer maybe its a nice hike again but probably muddy. Would be a nice snowshoe trip in winter and there use to be a trail up to the summit of Catamount from near the lean-to but spring, after the melt, unless there has been some work done on it, bring waders LOL.
                      It appeared the trail, which is atv wide, may have just kind of eroded to a level which is lower than much of the shoreline. I didn't see beaver sign causing it.
                      Maybe later this year I can get back there and check it out. Its only twenty minutes from where I normally camp.

Comment

Working...
                      X