Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics > Gear Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
SteveB

Eureka Apex 2XT - tent

Product Tested:
Eureka Apex 2 XT

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-57-apex-2xt-tent.aspx

Price paid, where purchased:
$130.00 / Dick's Sporting Goods

Size/Weight:
2 man tent / 5 lbs. 6 oz.
More like a 1 man tent with room for your gear.

How long/where tested:
Brookfeld State Lands, Osceola/TugHill region, ADK Loj, my bedroom

Rating 1 to 5:
FIVE

Summary:
I absolutely love this tent. I have used this tent probably 10 or 12 times now and have no complaints at all.

I have not had a chance to use it in wet/rainy season yet.
I have read other reviews saying that this tent while waterproof, upon opening a vestibule, you let the water/rain come straight down into the inside of your tent. I can see where this is absolutely true.
But if you set your tent up in the right area and tie off a small tarp would correct this issue.

This tent has two vestibules. One on either side (front/back) that zipper close.

The key to using this tent as a four season tent is to dig down in the snow so your floor is lower then the surrounding snow base. You also need to dig out the snow where your vestibules will be. This will "raise" the height of your vestibules making it easier to open/close. This also helps in sealing yourself in by piling snow around the vestibule edges, reducing the amount of drafty air coming in. Below is picture kinda showing this. Not the best one, but it is the only one I have.

Last edited by SteveB; 03-02-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: added manufacture's link
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
adktyler
previously adk88

Thanks for the review! I haven't seen a gear review here in awhile, so it's neat to see something new. That tent sounds like a winner!