Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Black Fly control measure developped at ESF.

For immediate release:

What happens when a lichenologist and a molecular geneticist get together with their friends?

Scientists from the College of Environmental Sciences and Forestry have cobbled together a new strain of lichens that could make backcountry users very, very happy.

A multidisciplinary team including virologists, bacteriologists and entomologists have been using techniques of gene splicing and cloning to develop a strain of lichens that will attract and kill black flies. Currently, says the department's spokesman, Dr. Fritz Heinz, the control of back flies involves the tedious and expensive seeding of streams with bacteria that interfere with larval development. "They have to repeat the application every year. Our approach is to seed an area once only with a newly engineered chimera, a Xanthoparmelia lichens. Our organism will emit an insect pheromone that attracts black flies and then it will them. The flies will stick to the lichen's surface and a chemical that jams its energy production system will poison it. It's that simple."

It's a technical milestone, says Heinz, because his team has had to splice black fly DNA into the lichen's genome that codes for the fly's pheromone (a powerful chemical attractant) and other DNA for the sticky bio-material as well as the toxin. Then, in order to speed the growth spread of the lichen scientists have developed a mutant strain whose normal growth controlling factors have been suppressed. "We achieved this by eliminating a gene that codes for a protein that turns off a stretch of the organism's DNA. It was brilliant work", crowed Heinz.

Heinz's team will begin a pilot project in the Adirondack Wilderness, specifically, high up in the Dial and Nippletop Mountain watersheds. This is a deserted region that only a few hikers go to. Work crews will begin seeding the watershed in June by spraying billions and billions of spores throughout the area. "By the summer of 2015 we should see a result", says Heinz.

Questioned as to the safety of introducing genetically modified and novel organisms into a delicate ecosystem Heinz waxed confident. "Trust me", he said, "I'm a scientist. This is a safe and harmless procedure that we'll be pioneering. No known problems have been identified by our team of experts".

Dr. Heinz went on to thank the ADK High Peaks Foundation that has provided funding for the project over the years. Finally, thanks to the Foundation, for the first time ever, man will be able to genetically manipulate an entire ecosystem for his recreational benefit.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
cityboy

"Trust me", he said, "I'm a scientist".

I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

I've never had that much of a problem with black flies. Its those damn no-see-ums that squeeze thru the porch screen that are the real problem. And deer flies are also pretty bad when walking in summer.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
cgill

It was my understanding that black flies were an important part of the ecosystem. I know they can be a real bother but I'm not sure we should get rid of them.
cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

Whoa guys.. What day is it??

Someone has TOO MUCH FREE TIME today.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/view...p?f=21&t=42636

maybe I should change my name to whistleblower
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Whoa guys.. What day is it??

Someone has TOO MUCH FREE TIME today.

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/view...p?f=21&t=42636

maybe I should change my name to whistleblower
Got me!
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
rADK

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should." - Ian Malcolm

"Fritz Heinz"..."Fritz Schultz"..

Just imagine...the 'dacks buried under 15 feet of man-eating super-lichen !
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
Hobbitling
spring fever

you got me. should have looked at when the post was dated.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

These are my absolute favorites...these time release jokes.
I once planted a six months to germination seed of a joke with my niece, when she finally caught on it was priceless!
I can't tell you how many people I know that have been outraged by linked articles they read...from The Onion.

And so endeth the joke.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
albert

i agree that although black flies are an extreme nuisance at times i believe getting rid of them will cause more problems than not
Old 06-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #10
RichieC

Sorry, damn the consequences, if I ever get three wishes, the first two will be mine alone, the third reserved as a gift to the world in eliminating biting insects. But now that I think it through, maybe the ability to bestow permanent repellentcy to anyone I deem worthy might be better. I could sell "the gift" and with what that would be worth, one of my first two wishes could be for something entirely different!

Oh and Neil, is your pic a demonstration of the lichen, or a tragic successful example?

LOL
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
i agree that although black flies are an extreme nuisance at times i believe getting rid of them will cause more problems than not
yes. No fish. Blackflies need clean water. Dirty water. No blackflies.

Maybe carp.. Does carp substitute for trout or salmon?
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
albert

^I think they should leave everything alone, ESPECIALLY THE TROUT! I like this quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rADK View Post
[I]"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."