Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
jan

GPS map advice

I'm planning a trip to Florida next winter, and would like to get maps for my Garmin GPS. I've seen recommendations on here for GPSfiledepot downloadable maps, and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with this site. I don't want to spend $100 for the Garmin version that includes a half dozen states I don't need, but I don't want to get a virus or other problem either. I'm not very tech savvy so was also wondering if it is easy to download and use the maps from this free site. Free maps almost seems too good to be true.
Thanks for any advice or experiences you care to share.
Jan
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

I just downloaded and installed a few more maps from GPSfiledepot last night for my trip down to the Blue Ridge in a couple days and I have always found the maps, especially the Editor's Choice ones, to be very good for my purposes. It's a quality site which I've used for over a year now
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #3
Wldrns

I think you will find the filedepot site widely used and trusted by the majority of the outdoor community. The main difference in what you get extra for the $100 sent to Garmin is turn-by-turn direction on roads to a destination, if your GPS unit has that display capability.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #4
jan

I meant my hiking GPS, which is an older etrex model that I love. Thanks to both of you for the quick responses. One thing I liked about the map I was looking at is that it works in mapsource. I like that a lot better than the newer basecamp. Glad to hear you've had good luck with the free maps.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Trail Boss

Garmin's maps use a proprietary format that was reverse-engineered. That's why you can find free Garmin-compatible maps. However, no one was able to determine how Garmin stores elevation data (Digital Elevation Model or DEM). Therefore the free versions do not contain DEM info. If you create a route and attempt to view its elevation profile, you'll only get a message indicating there's no elevation data.

A workaround is to export the route into Google Earth, which does have a DEM, and have it display the route's elevation profile.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
jan

That's interesting stuff. Thanks. Elevation profile probably isn't a big deal in Florida.