Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
terijohn
primitivecampers

Question Floodwood Road

I heard that there is no longer parking along Floodwood Road. Only at the Outfitters or parking lot beyond. Has anyone been down there that can tell me if that's true?? Looking to go camping on Floodwood this weekend.
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

I don't think this is new, although people have always parked along the road right near the Outfitters.

I'd call them and see what their take is on parking if you plan on parking right there. They don't have much parking space, so parking along the road is pretty much a must there.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
bluequill

I don't see a problem if you are planning on camping at one of the designated campsites and parking off the road at that particular site.

To be safe, contact region 5 DEC (518-897-1200) with your question.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
aft paddle

It is a problem when day use boaters use the designated campsites as parking spots making it difficult to determine if a site is occupied or not.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Grey-Jay

Had luck camping with available campsite on road this week. Can confirm that non-camping paddlers were parking in sites. not sure if they were day paddling or camping in remote water sites.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
Nehasane

From SRCO's Facebook page:
"Please be aware that the town of Santa Clara has outlawed parking on Floodwood Road, except in designated DEC parking lots. They have posted signs at Polliwog Pond and Floodwood Pond area indicating that there is no parking on either side of the road. Please contact Town of Santa Clara for further information or questions 518-354-8477."
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
richard p

Floodwood

So if one wants to do a day trip on Polywog we are out of luck? I used to park near the little "beach" and access there.
richard p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:47 AM   #8
EagleCrag

Good question Richard. I did the same. If they are going to outlaw parking along the road its going to limit access or make it much more difficult for several areas. Perhaps some additional parking area should be created. Hint hint.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard p View Post
So if one wants to do a day trip on Polywog we are out of luck? I used to park near the little "beach" and access there.
Polliwog can still be accessed from Follensby Clear Pond as a day trip.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
hookman33

While the road is posted with No Parking signs, there are numerous pull offs that have been plowed all along the road from before Polliwog to St. Regis Outfitters. Most provide ample space for parking and are "off the road."
Old 06-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
terijohn
primitivecampers

I guess Facebook was where I saw it! We ended up camping on Follensby Clear. It was a quiet beautiful weekend! Thank you for all the info
terijohn is offline   Reply With Quote