Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

Boreas "Glamping?"

Is this for real?

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...bin-tents.html
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Justin

I was camped with Bill at the Falls Brook Yurts in the photo included in his article (you can see my pulk-sled in the background). It was a fun trip, with cozy "backwoods" accommodations, and I was happy to return to a nice warm shelter on such a cold winter weekend, but it's something I think that I don't see myself ever doing again. Just not my thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against the idea of a hut-to-hut system in the Adirondacks, but certainly not on Forest Preseve Lands, and definitely not at Boreas Ponds!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against the idea of a hut-to-hut system in the Adirondacks, but certainly not on Forest Preseve Lands, and definitely not at Boreas Ponds!
I'm not either, but man...I would really hate to see that happen at Boreas. For all the reasons he cites in the article. I just saw your comment to that effect on the article comments, and I agree. Not on the forest preserve.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I just saw your comment to that effect on the article comments...
That was the beer talking again, and of course tongue in cheek.

Last edited by Justin; 06-21-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
DuctTape
Out of Shape

i can see a constitutional issue arise if the State attempts this path. I am supposing that the intention would be to rent them out which appears to violate the constitutional prohibition on "leasing". but I am no constitutional scholar.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I agree with the other sentiments. I'm not against this idea in general, and I think that a hut-to-hut system in the Adirondacks would be a good thing. But with all of the private and easement land in the Adirondacks, its seems to me like this wouldn't be a hard thing to implement with only minimal additional infrastructure on state land (mostly construction of new trails to connect the huts).

With regards to Boreas specifically, passing up what will probably be the last opportunity in our lifetimes to expand one of the largest roadless, motor-free areas in the eastern US just seems incredibly shortsighted to me.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Terasec

like some elements of it,
but fear the worst,
can see many more downsides to it than upsides,
abuse, abandoned sites, commercialization,
there has already been an uptick in private sector offering glamping sites on private lands
tentrr is a new webservice for such,
and others are doing similar, rather see them progress first before state jumping in
they can tweak current regs a bit, but hesitant for such a major change
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
With regards to Boreas specifically, passing up what will probably be the last opportunity in our lifetimes to expand one of the largest roadless, motor-free areas in the eastern US just seems incredibly shortsighted to me.
The roads are already there, and likely won't go away anytime soon as people will continue to use them for foot travel and biking and riding.

Also, why does the "forever wild" concept preclude the possibility of a hut-to-hut system? If the huts are built with a minimal footprint and help promote tourism, what is there to complain about?

I hear so many people on here opine on how the ADK's and its communities should strive to find ways to promote tourism to enhance their economic situation. And yet when the state comes up with a program designed to do just that, I see a whole bunch of complaining and calls that the 'forever wild' principle is being violated.

Regardless of which classification the area gets and regardless of whether these huts are put up or not, we're getting access to a whole bunch of new lands for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, exploring, ect. So maybe people should take a break from complaining and be grateful for what they're getting.

Last edited by Bounder45; 06-21-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
The roads are already there, and likely won't go away anytime soon as people will continue to use them for foot travel and biking and riding.
Who's gonna grade them and upkeep them every year? Who will pay for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45
Also, why does the "forever wild" concept preclude the possibility of a hut-to-hut systems? If the huts are built with a minimal footprint and help promote tourism, what is there to complain about?
It may break the state constitution no matter how we feel about it.

Quote:
I hear so many people on here opine on how the ADK's and its communities should strive to find ways to promote tourism to enhance their economic prosperity. And yet when the state comes up with a program designed to do just that, I see a whole bunch of complaining and calls that the 'forever wild' principle is being violated.
I'd honestly like to see some hard data either way to be honest. I'm not entirely convinced plans such as this are the economic prosperity that people think it would be.

As far as I have seen neither side has really shown any hard data and comparisons that would stand up to an intellectual and academic lawmaking/policy review.

Quote:
Regardless of which classification the area gets and regardless of whether these huts are put up or not, we're getting access to a whole bunch of new lands for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, exploring, ect. So maybe people should take a break from complaining and be grateful for what they're getting.
People have a right to voice their opinions whether you or anyone else likes them or not.

Asking people to just be "grateful" and shush it is kind of close minded.

A lot of us people who spend time in the great outdoors can be both grateful and opinionated about the things are are passionate about. We really don't need to choose to do either/or. We can multitask and will.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
geogymn

Hut to Hut is a good concept methinks but build the huts on private land. There is plenty of private land, keep the wild, wild. The wild is the attraction and is what the state should focus on, improve the wild character of the park. Let the people make the money renting out huts on private land, the State will get its share.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:02 PM   #11
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post

Also, why does the "forever wild" concept preclude the possibility of a hut-to-hut system? If the huts are built with a minimal footprint and help promote tourism, what is there to complain about?

I hear so many people on here opine on how the ADK's and its communitiies should strive to find ways to promote tourism to enhance their economic situation. And yet when the state comes up with a program designed to do just that, I see a whole bunch of complaining and calls that the 'forever wild' principle is being violated.

Bounder,
Why should we all of a sudden now start to allow New York State officials to undo New York State policies that were fought for by those wishing to preserve public Adirondack forests long before us?
And if hiking & camping tourism is so important to the North Hudson area, then why are several of the public trails in the North Hudson area still unmarked, unmapped, and uneasy to find & use for over 30+ years now?
I'm sincerely curious.