Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
Speedogomer

Limekiln Lake Dispersed Camping

Hi Forum, new guy here. I'm a backpacker and hammock camper from Friendsville PA who also RV glamps.

Last week of July I'll be at Limekiln Lake Campground with my travel trailer, camping with my family, and my in-laws. My wife, 1.5 year old daughter and I.... and their 7 kids and 4 adults... all their kids are under 9 years old too, and have NEVER been camping, ever. It's going to be pretty crazy.

Is there anywhere on the lake, that I could either hike to, or paddle to, to stay overnight in my hammock to get away for a night? The lake has a few islands in it, and Im sure i could stealth camp them, but I really only ever do that if I have to, I never try to knowingly stealth camp to get around rules. As always, I LNT, even on our family private land.

Thanks for any help, or jist general advice on the area. Ashamed to say I've never camped the Adirondacks before.
Speedogomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Bark Eater Too

Just beyond the lake is the gate into the Moose River Plains. Relatively endless expanse of wild forest with lots of places to get away. Enjoy!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
Speedogomer

Anyone else have advice to offer? Moose River plains looks nice. I could paddle to a trailhead that appears to end at Limekiln, and hike in.

Ideally though I'd love to island camp there, but not really clear if that's allowed. I called limekiln campground but despite trying to explain what I wanted to do, she just kept saying all their ampground sites on the water were booked (I know this because I booked one of them earlier). She seemed exceptionally eager to get me off the phone, even though the entire convo took less than a minute.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
OntarioSkiBum

You can camp anywhere on state land as long as you're 150ft from trail, road , or water. Google NYS backcountry camping for complete rules.
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
mmaute

As Ontario said, you can camp anywhere on state land as long as you observe the 150' rule. As long as the islands in Limekiln are state land, and you find a spot that meets the 150' rule, you would be able to camp there. You could contact the NYSDEC Region 6 ECO to confirm the islands are state land.
mmaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
Speedogomer

Thank you guys, I'll look into it. The islands themselves at pretty small, maybe only an acre in size for the largest one. I'll have to dig a little deeper into how big they are.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
richard1726
46er2618

The island will have to be at least 2 acres to meet the 150 foot rule. AND L lake State camp ground is my favorite campground for seeing bears - in the campground. Bear Spray works very well.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
Speedogomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
The island will have to be at least 2 acres to meet the 150 foot rule. AND L lake State camp ground is my favorite campground for seeing bears - in the campground. Bear Spray works very well.
With all the young kids in our camp, I'm a little worried about the bear activity. I'm familiar with bears, and have no problem with them being around. None of the kids have ever really camped before and have no idea about proper bear precautions. I'll have to have a little safety briefing beforehand.

My child is young enough she won't ever be alone outside, all the other 7 kids are old enough they can kinda roam around freely around the camp. My father in law and I are hunters, and experienced outdoors. The other 4 adults have no idea about anything the slightest bit outdoor related. I'll have to give them all a lesson about leaving smells around camp.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
richard1726
46er2618

Your camping skills in terms of attracting bears are probably fine. It is the many people who have camped at your site and other nearby sites in the past. Be very wary if your site has garbage burned or not, foil counts as garbage for example, in the fire place. I would not leave any under 16 year olds alone for a moment. It can certainly be a all family together all the time type of experience. (Fire does no seem to be a deterrent to approaching bears, and yes that is plural, experience speaking 3 at a time!)
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
Camper55
Camper55

Hey cool Speedogomer, I'm from Lawton. Been to Limekiln the Bears are all over the place it's wild. There are lots of places that fit you for camping next time you go up.Moose River Plains is real close.It's about 10 mile drive on a dirt road to some good camping sites and their free. Hell Diver Pond is nice and maybe get a chance at seeing the Moose. Good luck @ limekiln
Camper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
Ryan28

I've camped @ Limekiln 4 times and haven't seen a bear. Guess I'm not lucky (or unlucky) enough.
Ryan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #12
Speedogomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper55 View Post
Hey cool Speedogomer, I'm from Lawton. Been to Limekiln the Bears are all over the place it's wild. There are lots of places that fit you for camping next time you go up.Moose River Plains is real close.It's about 10 mile drive on a dirt road to some good camping sites and their free. Hell Diver Pond is nice and maybe get a chance at seeing the Moose. Good luck @ limekiln
Small world, I've lived in Susquehanna County all my life, I was in Lawton just today. Big news in Lawton is they reopened the restaurant across from the Hayloft. That last sentence would only make sense if you're from there haha.

Looks like I have some options, thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Bounder45

Unless you're looking to have a lot of company at the Limekiln Lake campground, I would heavily recommend nabbing a pull-up campsite somewhere in the Moose River Plains Wild Forest. There are dozens of pull-up car-camping sites, some of them quite remote and scenic and they require no reservations (1st come, 1st serve basis). You can have a nice spot to yourself with your family and you'll have quick access to many of the hiking trails and ponds that are in that area.

As for bears, despite there being at least several thousand of them in the Northern Zone of NY, they are remarkably hard to find, unless they want to be found. Your chances of having an encounter with one, especially a negative encounter, are relatively low. But it always behooves you to keep the campsite clean of garbage or stray food. Keep your kids together in a group and they should be fine. Don't give them any easy opportunities and chances are they'll leave you alone.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
dockless
citizen

Is the 1 1/2 year old still in dippers? Bears can smell dirty dippers 5 miles away.
Down by the Kinzu Dam a bear bit through the car trunk to get at a pair that had been changed during the night and put in the trunk instead of in the tent.

Just another thing to be aware of.......
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
Speedogomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockless View Post
Is the 1 1/2 year old still in dippers? Bears can smell dirty dippers 5 miles away.
Down by the Kinzu Dam a bear bit through the car trunk to get at a pair that had been changed during the night and put in the trunk instead of in the tent.

Just another thing to be aware of.......
My daughter isn't actually even 1.5 years old, she's only 16 months, so yes she's in diapers, I'll be sure to dispose of them properly.

Funny you mention Kinzua Dam. I've been there dozens of times, camped near there since I was maybe 10 years old. Some of my best memories ever, are in that area.

Also, the only time I've ever had a problem with bears is in that area by the Kinzua dam. Chased the same bear from our site 2 nights in a row, and chased what we think was the same bear out of the back of my cousins truck on the 3rd night. He broke open a plastic tote and ate a 2 gallon bucket of sour patch kids, it was a massive bucket of sour patch kids bought from a candy distributer. We still laugh thinking of how awful that bears stomach must have felt later.