Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
dpc34

high water

There have got to be hikers trapped out there....left our camp on the Op and went through water up to my door...and that was Friday pm....not good....
dpc34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
malexander

Hopefully everyone makes wise decisions.

I was turned back at Santanoni Brook on Friday morning (bridge has been damaged for a while and was too sketchy). The road walk before that had flowing water up to knee deep in spots.

Video of Santanoni Brook 6/30/2017
http://drive.google.com/open?export=...0xGMXFFbmJsdEE

Spoke with someone at upper works that exited from Lake Colden. When I asked him about the water crossing the expression on his face said it all.

Last edited by malexander; 07-02-2017 at 03:38 PM..
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Buckladd

DEC issued a press release this past week:
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...ood-stage.html
Old 07-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post

I was turned back at Santanoni Brook on Friday morning (bridge has been damaged for a while and was too sketchy). The road walk before that had flowing water up to knee deep in spots.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=vi...0xGMXFFbmJsdEE

Spoke with someone at upper works that exited from Lake Colden. When I asked him about the water crossing the expression on his face said it all.
FYI, I get this when trying to view your vid:

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
FYI, I get this when trying to view your vid:

Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.
Hmmm.... looks like bandwidth limitations of Google Drive since the file is kinda big I'm not a big enough nerd to set up my own file server

I think I may have fixed it, but not sure if the fix will persist.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 PM   #6
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post

http://drive.google.com/open?export=...0xGMXFFbmJsdEE

Wow, that does look like high water. And you had to cross a smaller brook minutes before. How deep was that?

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

What was wrong with the bridge? It looked pretty solid.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #8
malexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
What was wrong with the bridge? It looked pretty solid.
One of the main supports running the length of the bridge is absent. This makes the whole bridge tilt to one side. The far side is also in shambles. Pretty sure it used to have a handrail also.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Trail Boss

Given the volume of water, it might have undermined the bridge's pier at the northern end and toppled it. That would've made your return all the more challenging. Choosing not to cross it was probably the prudent choice that day.

FWIW that bridge started deteriorating in 2013. I have a photo showing it had already lost its handrail and the deck at the northern end had collapsed and lost most of its planks. Its current state is largely unchanged since last summer (minus a few more stair-treads at the northern end). I crossed it in July 2016, November 2016 and recently in May 2017. However, the brook's level was nothing like what you encountered so if the bridge had collapsed I could've rock-hopped/forded the brook safely upon my return.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
rickhart

I hiked into Panther Gorge on Wednesday the 28th, planning to do the loop of Haystack/Marcy/Skylight & back from 4 corners into the gorge. After incessant & often heavy rain all day Thursday, Marcy Brook was impassable. So much for my loop. More rain on Friday only made it worse, and it rained most of Saturday too which made for a very wet hike back to Elk Lake (i.e., I was like a drowned rat). For those on Facebook, I posted a short video of the brook:
https://www.facebook.com/rick.hart.75098
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #11
RipVanWinkle

I had the the fortune of white water rafting the Hudson the day of the heavy rain. What a blast.
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote