Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Jackson

Black flies are back ??!!!

A friend in the Adks told me that the black flies came back with a vengeance. Is this true? I am coming up to the Old Forge area this weekend...then going to the Saranac Lake area after that. Should I be ready for more black flies (along with the other insects this time of year?) Thanks I advance !
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
dundee

It's possible. July 4th is a general cut-off date, but that doesn't mean that they all drop dead on that date. we also have 4-5 species of BF here and they all hatch at different dates.

The BFs will disappear, but deer flies are out now and then we get no-see-ums and mosquitoes are out until the first frost.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #3
Trail Boss

Wednesday, July 5th. Sunny, hot day. Atop Big Slide: no shortage of black flies.

Sunday, July 9th. Breezy, overcast cool day. Atop Phelps and Tabletop: few if any black flies.

Early afternoon on Sunday near South Meadows, a few black flies and deer flies.

So, kind of depends on weather, location, and time of day. Classic YMMV.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
ndru

No black flies in the St. Regis Canoe Area over the weekend, but plenty of deer flies and mosquitoes. Of course that can all change over night.
ndru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Wldrns

in years past I have guided a number of BSA High Adventure Treks in which Black Flies ruled the day, for a week or two definitely well past July 4. Of course deer flies on hot days just added to the fun especially with punkies (noseeums) on humid nights too.

Last edited by Wldrns; 07-11-2017 at 04:37 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
FTHR&DAGHTR

I was in the deep woods Monday(7/11) and used Mountain Man Bug Repellent and zero bug problems. This stuff is also a good tick repellent. I have used it this year for the first time and so far with excellent results. Available at The Crossroads in Chestertown and Hoss's in Long Lake.

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #7
Buckladd

Deer flies were aggressive on Cedar River Flow yesterday. 'Nothing you can't live with.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

My experience is that they tend to gain elevation as the season progresses. I wouldn't be surprised if they were still an issue in the High Peaks.

I've not seen them at all in recent weeks in the Eastern Adirondacks... but the mosquitoes have been pretty bad. Deer flies are out now too, but they are not the worst I've ever seen them...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
bluequill

Yesterday at Madawaska Pond there were a few BF's around which I thought was a little odd. More deer flies than anything else.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
geogymn

Twas in Twichell Lake this past weekend. The ladies got bit some, didn't touch me.