Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
TCD

Giant or Phelps, etc.

I brought this over from two other locations:

"Hello! We are going to the Adirondaks and want to take my 9 year old son hiking. My husband has been told that Giant Mountain or Phelps are good hikes for kids. My son has asthma and is overweight. I am worried about setting him up for failure or worse him getting hurt. Am I worried for nothing? Any feedback you can give me would be most appreciated!"

This may be helpful:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/f...es-in-the-adks
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
mohawk
chief

Actually, your link is not helpful at all. Why encourage a parent with a son who has asthma and is overweight into hiking anywhere? If something happens to that kid, you may be liable. Let the parents do their own research, based on recommendation by the kid's physician.

"My husband has been told that Giant Mountain or Phelps are good hikes for kids." Really? By whom? Let that adviser take the responsibility. If I had an overweight son with asthma, I would not recommend those trails. Would you recommend such a hike to your own? There are many, many nice hikes in ADK without climbing anything.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
Klinkhamer

I saw some people recommending Owl's Head in Keene as a good first hike for a kid, however that's not going to be an option anymore.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...on-weekends-2/

Owls Head trail is closed on weekends then at end of summer will close permanently. Owners are rescinding permission to use it due to public not respecting their property.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
tenderfoot

Mt Jo at ADK Loj might be a better bet - plus there is a beach there. A great distraction if one does not make it to the top.

Take the accent height, divide by ten and ask if they could walk up that many flights of stairs. So a 2000 foot ascent is climbing 200 flights of stairs. It is not an exact science. Different buildings have different heights for flights but it puts you in the neighborhood and people not used to hiking can better grasp.

Depending on trail Giant has an ascent of about 3000 feet. The Empire State buildings observatory is about 1200 feet. Also note that Giant starts ascending right away while Phelps has a longer trail to access. So it is a more gradual ascent overall but is a longer hike.

For the record I am overweight. I find steep ascents tough but take my time. Which of course means I am exerting myself longer than average. I also consume a lot of water. Remember, you have to do this hike carrying some equipment and a few basic safety items.

My vote would be Mt Jo and the beach at ADK Loj. You can start Phelps form there - or Wright, if feeling spunky.

Last edited by tenderfoot; 07-17-2017 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: spelling error
tenderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
Actually, your link is not helpful at all. ... There are many, many nice hikes in ADK without climbing anything.
Please actually READ the material in the link before jumping to conclusions. There are many very easy hikes cited.

From the linked thread:

"Does a "hike" always have to include a Mountain? I love "pond" and "falls' hikes. My favorite for a super short hike is Auger Falls. A few hundred yards from the car and your there, a rushing torrent of water."

"Easiest one may now be Belfry, 4/10ths of a mile each way and only about 80 feet of elevation gain to the tower. Interesting view of the High Peaks from the East of Route 87."

I think everyone on the forum has been pretty careful to recommend easier types of hikes to this poster, without being alarmist.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote