Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
St.Regis

There's a Killer on the Road...

...Killers actually, and I assume that most have heard about the breakout from Dannemora. Does the thought of having two murderers loose in the Adirondacks (speculating that they are still there) change the way you operate when you travel to the park?

I'm just curious to see how folks might react to an event like this. Maybe you are always ready for the wackos and your MO won't change much. But I have to believe that many people will do things a bit differently until these two guys are captured.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
STLCover2

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
...Killers actually, and I assume that most have heard about the breakout from Dannemora. Does the thought of having two murderers loose in the Adirondacks (speculating that they are still there) change the way you operate when you travel to the park?

I'm just curious to see how folks might react to an event like this. Maybe you are always ready for the wackos and your MO won't change much. But I have to believe that many people will do things a bit differently until these two guys are captured.
I am heading up that way shortly. I was planning on bringing my axe; now I have a new potential use for it.
STLCover2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

There are killers loose everywhere - actually in much higher density in cities. I'd take my chances with 6 million acres that I'd never see them.

Also I wouldn't think a measly knife or axe as an effective deterrent for a real murderer. I'm sure a very good killer could take whatever defense I have and use it against me. I'd bank on never seeing them.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
serotonin
ember

... my brain is squirming like a toad.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #5
oldcoach

...take A long holiday......
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:

Not to worry. I was down in Connecticut to visit my sister last week and picked up two hitch hikers which match their description. I gave them Glen's address and told them to make themselves at home because he was out buying more fish and wouldn't be home for a while.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
randomscooter
Native Earthling

I went on a 9 day backpacking trip in the Adirondacks while the manhunt for Robert Garrow was in progress back in '73. I was 16 years old, my brother was 27, and my parents weren't concerned in the least.

Life goes on.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Hope they find these guys soon...would hate to see another Robert Garrow situation...as Randomscootter also just mentioned.

Here's some more info on this story...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/08/us/new-york-prison-break/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
Wldrns

I was not far away from Dannemora at the time, helping my daughter and her husband work on their house. Wouldn't you know that was the very day we removed the very heavy wood front door to refinish it. Expected to leave it off overnight to varnish and reinstall the next day, with just the screen door remaining closed. After she heard the news, guess where the heavy door went for the night.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
Bark Eater Too

It's odd. When the prison break story came up I immediately thought about the Robert Garrow manhunt around Speculator. I was a kid spending a summer vacation on the Cedar River at the time. I remember my family being more than a bit freaked out by it.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

I was very close to buying land within viewing distance of that prison a year or two ago but when I asked the landowner what's the massive lit up compound in the distance he proceeded to inform me it's a maximum security prison. I changed my mind about buying the property after that little piece of info.

I would assume those two crossed the border into Canada given it's within a couple hours on foot and they may have already begun working on a wilderness cabin to live out the rest of their days up north. After all the work they went through to break out I would doubt that would stick around in the area where the chances of their capture would be much larger. That being said, I would assume that infrared and heat scanners would be employed on the Canadian border to find anyone crossing over the 20 foot treeless border.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
St.Regis

I don't believe these two were planning on ad-libbing it after they crawled out of the sewer. If they went through that effort and detail to break out, I have to think that part of the escape plan was to get out of the area fast, like with the help of an accomplice with a car. But, even the best laid plans can get screwed up, and they might have been forced to hang tight nearby. Hard to say.

I will say this -If they were on foot, they didn't make it to Canada in a couple hours. It's nearly 20 miles away as the crow flies.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #13
BillyGr

Quote:
I don't believe these two were planning on ad-libbing it after they crawled out of the sewer. If they went through that effort and detail to break out, I have to think that part of the escape plan was to get out of the area fast, like with the help of an accomplice with a car. But, even the best laid plans can get screwed up, and they might have been forced to hang tight nearby. Hard to say.

I will say this -If they were on foot, they didn't make it to Canada in a couple hours. It's nearly 20 miles away as the crow flies.
It does sound like in newer reports that someone was supposed to have a vehicle for them and backed out on that. So that could have led to them being surprised and taking off on foot, perhaps into the nearby forests.

Of course (without knowing if they have any history or knowledge of the area surrounding the prison) one has to wonder if they could at some point get "lost" into the woods (as many others who have more knowledge of the forests have over time).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
... Of course (without knowing if they have any history or knowledge of the area surrounding the prison) one has to wonder if they could at some point get "lost" into the woods (as many others who have more knowledge of the forests have over time).
Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) trained wilderness SAR volunteers do not get called to assist in cases such as this. Volunteer training and equipment does not extend to this kind of very potentially dangerous situation.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
St.Regis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Well, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) trained wilderness SAR volunteers do not get called to assist in cases such as this. Volunteer training and equipment does not extend to this kind of very potentially dangerous situation.
No, I wouldn't want volunteers searching the woods. However, I would think that Forest Rangers could be team leaders for small groups of ENCON, state police and sheriff officers, but maybe it's a bit more complicated than that.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #16
Wldrns

Quote:
No, I wouldn't want volunteers searching the woods. However, I would think that Forest Rangers could be team leaders for small groups of ENCON, state police and sheriff officers, but maybe it's a bit more complicated than that.
There is a training course called "Woodland Tactics" offered by the NY Division of Homeland Security at the State Preparedness Training Center (SPTC) in Oriskany. This is where law enforcement agencies, including DEC Rangers, train for just such a potentially hostile operation. It covers land navigation along with search tactics, and provides skill-sets which will allow LE to operate successfully and safely in hostile, non-permissive, rural, and wilderness terrain.

The Woodland Tactics course is not open to non-LE personnel, but a separate related two-day land navigation course is open to SAR volunteers on a space available basis. It is offered several times a year, and the past few offerings have not been at quite full capacity, so there is generally room for anyone in SAR. There are usually a small handful of SAR persons in the course.

Last edited by Wldrns; 06-09-2015 at 08:20 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 AM   #17
mossarden

The Adirondacks has quite a tradition of the practice of dowsing. There is at least one remaining expert who lives here. Dowsers in the ADKs have led law enforcement more than once to significant finds...of the human kind. Wonder if the searchers are or will again turn to the regions dowsers for help.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #18
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
The Adirondacks has quite a tradition of the practice of dowsing. There is at least one remaining expert who lives here. Dowsers in the ADKs have led law enforcement more than once to significant finds...of the human kind. Wonder if the searchers are or will again turn to the regions dowsers for help.
I thought dowsing only works to find water. How would a dowser assist in finding escaped convicts?
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
electbc
Outdoorsman

One down, one to go. Richard Matt was shot and killed today. Sweat is still on the run.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
One down, one to go. Richard Matt was shot and killed today. Sweat is still on the run.
From the New York Times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/27..._r=1&referrer=

Last edited by Justin; 06-26-2015 at 07:19 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote