Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
Sinite

Cheney Pond to Lester Dam?

Anyone paddled Cheney Pond to Lester Dam recently? Wondering what the conditions are like. Last time I tried the water level was too low. Can it be paddled back to Cheney, or is it better to take the trail back? What is the condition of that trail to the parking area?
Thanks!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I was just up at Lake Harris and took a drive to Cheney on Friday.
Waters levels were the highest I've ever seen at Cheney Pond, and rose significantly after Saturday night's heavy rains. (Lake Harris rose about 20 inches)
Expect a fairly high current between the pond and the remains of the dam.
There is much water!

Also, on Friday, MDB and I paddled a section of the Boreas upstream from the 28N road crossing. We paddled only about 3/4 mile upstream, couldn't make any further progress in the rapids. We had a great time, wished we had a car shuttle to do a Cheney Pond-28N through trip. All of the normally bony sections on the Boreas are covered nicely...If ever anyone wants to do such a trip, this would be the time!! Water is warm and deep, but most rapids will be fun, not life threatening.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Not recently, but I paddled Cheney Pond & Lester Flow last fall. The water was pretty low then, but mostly still paddle-able. However, there were a few stretches where I had to get out & walk, but no big deal.
Even with high water levels, you'll need to make the short 100 yard portage from Cheney's outlet to the Boreas.

Last edited by Justin; 06-26-2017 at 09:55 AM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #4
Sinite

Unfortunately I was not able to read these responses before we left, but we did it and it was perfect. The water levels were high enough so that we were able to paddle all the way to the dam without getting out of the boat once on the Boreas. -Not so last time I tried. And we made the trip back in the same amount of time as the trip down- 1 HR each way. It was a sweet paddle between brief thunder storms.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Glad to hear that you had a good time...Did you get any views? The closer you get to the old dam, the better the views of the high peaks. Or maybe you had a low cloud ceiling?
Did you consider going below the old dam? Once past the dam, there's some nice flat water that you could have extended your trip a bit.
And what? No photos?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #6
Sinite

I did get some nice but brief views on the way back where the clouds had parted.

We did not consider going below the old dam as our time was limited and I had read that the water there turns back to rapids pretty quickly.

My paddling skills are pretty good, my computer skills, not so much. It always takes me a long time to figure out how to add photos....