Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
JohnnyVirgil

SPOT device update

Here's what I just got from them. Might be time to check out the InReach.

Dear Valued SPOT Customer,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to SPOT. We hope that SPOT's award winning technology and proven reliability has helped you enjoy your adventures and provided additional peace of mind to your family and friends while you were off the grid.

As we continue to upgrade our network to ensure you the best possible and most reliable service in the industry, this email is to inform you of upcoming changes to the cost of your SPOT Gen3 service plan(s):

A Network Maintenance Fee of $14.99 will be charged to your account.
The Basic Service plan that your SPOT Gen3 device(s) are currently on has been discontinued and will be migrated over to our new enhanced Basic Service plan. As such, your current 1-year subscription price will increase to $199.99 at the time of your renewal.
If you have any questions regarding these changes, please contact Customer Care at 866-651-7768.

As we approach the incredible benchmark of 5,000 rescues worldwide, we want to thank you for being a loyal SPOT customer and we look forward to continuing to protect you and your family and keep you connected whenever you're off the grid.

SPOT LLC
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Trail Boss

Politely inform them they continue to advertise $149.99/yr on their web-site and that's the amount you will pay, thank you very much!

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103

If they refuse, yes, there's inReach but, as you know, it'll cost more to switch than Spot's 33% price hike. Undoubtedly Spot did their homework to determine the maximum additional amount they can comfortably squeeze out of their loyal customers before they defect to the competition.

Good luck negotiating with them!
Old 07-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
tombaisley

trash can it, go without
tombaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombaisley View Post
trash can it, go without
I would if it wasn't for my wife.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
Politely inform them they continue to advertise $149.99/yr on their web-site and that's the amount you will pay, thank you very much!

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103

If they refuse, yes, there's inReach but, as you know, it'll cost more to switch than Spot's 33% price hike. Undoubtedly Spot did their homework to determine the maximum additional amount they can comfortably squeeze out of their loyal customers before they defect to the competition.

Good luck negotiating with them!
Just like cable TV, internet service and cell phones.

Ditch them all!
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
l33tHoneyBadger

I wouldn't ditch this all together. I have an inReach and I can turn off service when not in use. Garmin just bought them so they have a good maps and communications backbone. I did my research before buying one and inReach won. I solo hike so I got it for my parents sake and so if my son got hurt while I am away, I could be reached. Better to be safe then sorry. What won me over was the two way communication with SARS so they don't send choppers and rangers and so forth if all they really need to send is a ranger or two.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tHoneyBadger View Post
I wouldn't ditch this all together. I have an inReach and I can turn off service when not in use. Garmin just bought them so they have a good maps and communications backbone. I did my research before buying one and inReach won. I solo hike so I got it for my parents sake and so if my son got hurt while I am away, I could be reached. Better to be safe then sorry. What won me over was the two way communication with SARS so they don't send choppers and rangers and so forth if all they really need to send is a ranger or two.

So you have the Explorer +?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
l33tHoneyBadger

I purchased just as Garmin bought them so mine still says inReach on the housing. I got the SE model because I currently own a Garmin GPS and didn't need two. If I didn't have a GPS and was looking at the inReach system, I would have went with the explorer +.

Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

A lot of PCT guys use the InReach. Not many complaints, and people were fond of the whole bluetooth-texting-via-your-phone feature.
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
malexander

I got the Inreach Explorer+ this spring. It spends almost all it's time turned off in my pack. It's great piece of mind on overnight and solo trips especially as I explore lesser travelled areas. Even though these types of backcountry "oh snap" buttons seem expensive, if I need to use one they will all of a sudden seem very cheap and invaluable.

I only use GPS as a secondary form of navigation (or for confirmation) so the extra $50 for the explorer version was a no brainer since I could leave my other GPS at home for most trips. The best part is I can get "free" weather updates a couple of days into a trip.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
JohnnyVirgil

Anyone want to buy a lightly used Gen 3 Spot?
Old 07-03-2017, 06:36 AM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

Just to round this up, I called them to cancel, and they put me through to someone whose job it was to convince me not to. She offered me a $50 credit, and then another $15 to cover the "service fee" but I still opted out. I'll save my pennies for the Explorer + since my current GPS is junk anyway..
Old 07-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
EagleCrag

I also received a notice that my "subscription" was going up to $200. Not in my lifetime! If its cut short because I don't have my spot device so be it. I thought $150 was too much. They'll be getting a notice from me as well and I'm not taking any sweetener deals they might offer. If anyone wants to buy a used spot device in like new condition, make me an offer.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #14
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
I also received a notice that my "subscription" was going up to $200. Not in my lifetime! If its cut short because I don't have my spot device so be it. I thought $150 was too much. They'll be getting a notice from me as well and I'm not taking any sweetener deals they might offer. If anyone wants to buy a used spot device in like new condition, make me an offer.
Got my InReach Explorer yesterday. It hurt my wallet, but I think it'll work out in that I only need one device now, and I can turn if off in the winter when I don't do any camping (currently, anyway...). Unfortunately, it looks like the SPOT Gen3's are going for about $25-$50 on ebay.

Also, for those who may be wondering, the newest firmware update for the Explorer+ allows you to use the GPS, maps, altimeter and compass *without* having an account, active or otherwise. That was the deciding factor for me. Even if I decide to cancel the tracking/SOS service, it's still a functioning GPS. Not the greatest one, but at least it's not a doorstop.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #15
Trail Boss

Thanks for the info about the latest firmware update. I know that question came up in another thread where the concern was the Explorer+ would become a doorstop without a subscription. Good to know it will continue to work as a GPS.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
malexander

Thanks for the info about the new firmware.

Someone has set up a free weather service you may be interested in if you don't already know about it. It does count as 2 messages when you use it (one outgoing and one incoming) but if you set it up as one of your preset messages it only counts as one. Super useful for longer trips.

http://wx2inreach.weebly.com
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
Thanks for the info about the new firmware.

Someone has set up a free weather service you may be interested in if you don't already know about it. It does count as 2 messages when you use it (one outgoing and one incoming) but if you set it up as one of your preset messages it only counts as one. Super useful for longer trips.

http://wx2inreach.weebly.com
Mine actually has a "weather" button on it, which costs 1 "message" -- is that the same thing?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Just like cable TV, internet service and cell phones.

Ditch them all!
Said the guys like you and many others to determine their locations or report medical emergencies.
There was a time past, when outdoors men would be mortified to call for outside assistance.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #19
JohnnyVirgil

Back in my day, we just died and we liked it!
Old 07-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #20
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Back in my day, we just died and we liked it!
Well something is dying, I'm just not poetic enough to describe it.