Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
tommmio

Moose River plains camp site availability

Anyone know if most camp sites are full on the weekends at Moose River plains? Looking to head there this weekend but it's a few hours drive for me so would rather pick another day if pickings will be slim on a weekend. Thanks!
tommmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Bark Eater Too

Unless it's a holiday weekend there are almost always sites available in there. The "best" ones will go quickly but there are many, many to choose from. Enjoy.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
cuterocky
Kalie

I was up there over the 4th of July weekend. We got one of the first sites coming in from Wakely Dam around 10am Saturday morning (7/1). It was a gorgeous site with a creek right behind it. I drove all the way through to the other end on Sunday 7/2 and there were a ton of open sites.
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The 4th of July Weekend was also extremely wet, especially early in the weekend, so it's not really a surprise that there were numerous sites available.

That being said, my experience with the MRP area is the same- most weekends, the plains never even gets close to full.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
tommmio

Thanks everyone, you've convinced me to head up this weekend!
tommmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Loopin for the Lama

I screwed my knee up enough that my usual 3 or 4 mile hike to a pond somewhere for an overnight might not happen until the fall, but I'd like to get out. I know there are a lot of posts on this but road conditions vary year to year - any chance a Ford Focus could navigate the roads there? If it's even dicey, I would rent a 4w drive for a few days...
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopin for the Lama View Post
I screwed my knee up enough that my usual 3 or 4 mile hike to a pond somewhere for an overnight might not happen until the fall, but I'd like to get out. I know there are a lot of posts on this but road conditions vary year to year - any chance a Ford Focus could navigate the roads there? If it's even dicey, I would rent a 4w drive for a few days...
Absolutely. Below is a shot of what a lot of the road looks like (although it's often more curvy, this happened to be a longer straight section). There are a some sections that have a bunch of rocks sticking up but if you take it slow in those areas, you shouldn't have any issues. A lot of the rocks are even painted orange to make them easier to see

I drove my Subaru Crosstrek through which does have higher clearance (8.7 inches) but I saw a bunch of regular, lower clearance cars in there as well

CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #8
Grey-Jay

Just got back from there last night. The main road from Limekiln to Cedar River gate is fine for a normal clearance vehicle with a few higher rocks painted in orange. Someone I chatted with drove in a Honda Fit.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
Loopin for the Lama

Thanks Grey-Jay and Cuterocky!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
madison

Cuterocky and GreyJay, did either of you see the moose at Helldiver Pond?

Most of my trips these days are paddle trips but I've been thinking of heading back into the Plains to try and catch a glimpse, and maybe a picture, of that guy.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #11
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
Cuterocky and GreyJay, did either of you see the moose at Helldiver Pond?

Most of my trips these days are paddle trips but I've been thinking of heading back into the Plains to try and catch a glimpse, and maybe a picture, of that guy.
I did not. I wasn't in that area. I was up there over the 4th of July weekend for what was supposed to be a paddle camping trip on Cedar River Flow. It was pouring when I met up with the one person who didn't drop out from the trip so we car camped at one of the first sites coming in from that side.

Sunday was nicer and we paddled Cedar River Flow that day and commented that the south end looked like a perfect place to spot a moose. Seems we were right since others have spotted a moose there recently, but no such luck for us.

After our paddle I drove through the plains all the way to the Limekiln end just to check out the road and campsites. I didn't end up stopping for any hiking or whatnot but I definitely plan to go back. I did take a fun little detour on the Loop Road that goes to the Bear Pond trailhead. DO NOT take a regular clearance car back there, it is extremely rough. The people camping near the end when I popped back out to the main road looked at me like I was crazy
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #12
Grey-Jay

No

Last seen Saturday.

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 07-21-2017 at 07:14 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
Schip

I drove the entire distance of the main road from Wakely Dam to Inlet in my Honda Fit. No problems. Just go slow in the more rocky parts.
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote