Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Ausable River Association is raising funds to continue trailhead porta-john program

Saw this posted to Facebook earlier today and thought that it was worth a mention here. The Ausable River Association is raising funds to continue their program of placing Porta-Johns at popular High Peaks trailheads. The program was originally developed with a focus on the Ausable River watershed specifically, and was expanded to High Peaks trailheads last year.

This year, the program has expanded to include ADA accessible toilets for persons with disabilities, and as a result, the cost of providing these toilets has increased and more money is needed to support the program.Donations to the Porta-John Program can be made here:

https://adirondackgives.org/campaign...-program-fund/
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

So this is entirely a volunteer/business sponsored effort, with no money from the state, and yet the state can dictate the requirement for expanded accessible toilets? Or am I reading that wrong?
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

It may not be the state dictating the accessibility, but the ADA. There are certain things written into law that are required by the ADA for publicly used facilities and have been for many years. I don't know much about it, but that's my understanding.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

As Zach states, it's probably not something that the state really has any control over as per the ADA, especially if the state wants to avoid lawsuits. The state (and the DEC specifically) has been sued over ADA accessibility in the past.

It's also worth pointing out that some of the trailheads serve more than just hikers. Chapel Pond and Cascade Mountain in particular are two locations where tourists who just happen to be driving through will frequently stop with no intention of hiking. Those tourists certainly run the full range of mobility and ability.

I've often even suspected that tourists just passing through, not hikers, account for a significant amount of the human waste found at trailheads. Case in point- part of the reason the iconic red barn in Keene was removed is because the interior was riddled with human waste. That's not a pull off that serves hikers, as there are no trailheads there.

And there are even hikers with disabilities that would benefit from the ADA accessible toilets. I encountered a blind hiker on Cascade a few years ago, and I've encountered mobility impaired hikers elsewhere in the backcountry on several occasions. (Even those without sight benefit from accessible toilets- the added space gives room for a service animal or a human aide.)

Given all of the factors involved, I think that the decision to use ADA accessible toilets is definitely the right one, even if it does substantially increase the cost. That just makes it even more important for all of us to get involved and help to support the program.

Last edited by DSettahr; 07-14-2017 at 09:35 AM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #5
JohnnyVirgil

Oh, that makes sense. I was just wondering, since I didn't understand the interaction between the ADA and DEC. It just seemed like something the state would want to pay for.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote