Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: In the Adirondacks my recreational activities are:
Paddling. Flat water. 211 62.80%
Paddling. White water. 27 8.04%
Rock and/or ice climbing. 31 9.23%
Cycling 56 16.67%
Hiking 278 82.74%
Bushwhacking 137 40.77%
Peakbagging 111 33.04%
Hunting 79 23.51%
Fishing 168 50.00%
I live in the Adirondacks. 50 14.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

How do you recreate in the Adirondacks?

I thought it would be interesting to see what type of recreation forum members partake in in the Adirondacks. Also, realizing that many members live in the Adirondacks I included that as a poll choice. You can choose more than one response and your response is private.

If I missed your activity sorry but I ran out of poll choices.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

Almost all of the above I did vote though
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Naturlvr73

Also love swimming there whenever it is warm...fourth Lake, Golden Beach, Cascade Lake, Queer Lake...
Naturlvr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Justin

Camping would be near the top of the list for me too I think.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
Crash

I checked flat water paddling and hiking.
I do some fishing and bushwhacking, but probably not enough to justify checking those boxes.
Camping (car camping and out of my canoe/kayak) is also important to me. We (my boys and I) also love swimming (especially discovering great remote swimming spots - whether they are beaches or rock ledges to jump in from).
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I penciled in sailing, but it didn't seem to stick.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Naturlvr73

Oh yeah, definitely camping... campground camping and backpacking!

Last edited by Naturlvr73; 04-12-2008 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I checked paddling, hiking and Bushwhacking. Unfortunately there aren't any 2700 mile bushwhacks in the Adirondacks. I had to do that out West.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Rivet
Likes to hike

I think hiking/bushwacking and peakbagging could be lumped together.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Neil
Kayak-46

I thought of all of the points that have been brought up but settled on the format I used.

I kept bushwhacking, hiking and peakbagging separate even though they are intimately associated. Some people only do one or 2 of the the three.

I'm particularly impressed with the number of paddlers. Going on canoe trips used to be one of my main outdoor activities and I look forward to combining paddling with bushwhacking. (Not simultaneously though, like someone I know )
Old 04-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

Interesting poll, it really speaks to the many recreational options within the park. I am very suprised to see how high the #'s are for bushwacking. I didn't think it was so popular. I guess there are different versions of what might be considered a bushwack. What would be a good definition of a bushwack be? If I step off trail 50 yards to take a dump am I bushwacking?

Anyway wildlife viewing/tracking and bird watching could also be an option.
And as previously stated camping/thruhiking.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Keithk
Keith

fun poll

what about sking!!?

"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk View Post
what about sking!!?

Oops......
Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFOREST View Post
Interesting poll, it really speaks to the many recreational options within the park. I am very suprised to see how high the #'s are for bushwacking. I didn't think it was so popular. I guess there are different versions of what might be considered a bushwack. What would be a good definition of a bushwack be? If I step off trail 50 yards to take a dump am I bushwacking? .
I would say that bushwhacking is tied not only to travel being completely off a known trail, but also to using active navigation techniques as a requirement to travel some significant distance to a destination. In other words, you can't get there by just plodding along, not paying attention to current location along a trail. You might be bushwhacking (sooner or later) if on unmapped or old unmaintained trails that end in no obvious destination - especially if they have disappearing segments. Note that in some cases you just may need a compass for that 50 yard dump!

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-13-2008 at 09:35 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #15
Dr Dean

Winter vs summer in the survey

I have been exclusively a summer and fall visitor, but am adding spring to the list this year and possibly Winter next year. There is certainly a distinction between winter camping and hiking since skiing and or snow shoeing is added as well as another set of camping skills. Same with fishing. I think a seasonal note would be helpful in the survey. Nice survey!
Dr Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
Bill I.

I checked off flatwater paddling, hiking, and bushwhacking. Had backpacking and snowshoeing been available, I would've checked them, too. While I do climb mountains frequently, I shy away from the term "peak bagging". Groceries are bagged, wilderness mountains are savored. Bagging a peak sounds like you're just getting it out of the way so you can move onto something else; I climb a mountain because of a personal curiosity to see what's there.

But that's just a semantic hang-up that I have.

I get the sense that the forum owners are trying to get inside the head of us forum members? That seems to be the drift of several recent new threads.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #17
pico23

Other than hunting and fishing, all of the above + skiing and snowshoing. Although my road bike has been in pieces for a decade, I will eventually do some road touring up there. That down hill from Lake Placid to Keene has always been on my must do list. I figure I can hit 60+ if I still have the gonads to ride that fast downhill. It was funny my friends would always destroy me on down hill mountain bike stretches but on the road they'd be minutes behind on the steeps.

As far as bushwhacking, anytime you are trying to reach a destination via non trailed forest it would be bushwhacking. Walking a few hundred yards off trail to find a campsite, search for wood, or "take a dump" doesn't generally qualify. However, even avoiding stream crossings by walking down river for an extended period could be considered bushwhacking.

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes
pico23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
pico23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
Bagging a peak sounds like you're just getting it out of the way so you can move onto something else; I climb a mountain because of a personal curiosity to see what's there.

But that's just a semantic hang-up that I have.
I think it's on the money. Peak baggers generally only care about the tick list. I've never been able to operate like that. Actually, I've on occassion done the same hike 2 weekends in a row because I liked it so much. As Garth Brooks says, "I believe schedule is one of lifes great infections"...no sir, list are for the work week, weekends are for doing whatever feels good!

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes
pico23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
Naturlvr73

love the poll

Fun poll! If there were options, I would have also checked general wildlife watching, birdwatching, plant study, blueberry eating, and celebrating peaks "savored" by savoring a meal, margarita, and /or a couple of beers.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #20
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Yep, missing was backpacking and camping. As well as distinction between multi-day and distance hikes vs day hikes and loops.

Unfortunately because of the choice limits allowed in the software, i don't think it will be as accurate/diversified as it might be.

My choices with a full of options would have been the following:

1. Multi-day through hikes (over seven days, over 100 miles), either trails or bushwhack. Like the NPT, I've done it both ways (trail and bushwhack), the PCT or the Continental Divide trail.

2 Combination paddling, backpacking multi day trips.

3. Overnight bushwhacks

And the other differentiation would be remote. The less traveled and the less possibility of running into other people, the better. Also places that are not in the books or advertised or well known.

Most enjoyable (and preferred) were the hikes I've done between 1000 - 3000 miles. So I guess that would be classified as long distance through hiking like the Appalachian trail (which I won't do because it's too "crowded" for my taste.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote