Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: In the Adirondacks my recreational activities are:
Paddling. Flat water. 211 62.80%
Paddling. White water. 27 8.04%
Rock and/or ice climbing. 31 9.23%
Cycling 56 16.67%
Hiking 278 82.74%
Bushwhacking 137 40.77%
Peakbagging 111 33.04%
Hunting 79 23.51%
Fishing 168 50.00%
I live in the Adirondacks. 50 14.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #61
bassanglers912

Do you really think that's true? I can only speak for myself. I checked flatwater paddling, hiking, and peakbagging (and would have added x-c skiing). [/QUOTE]

Where's there good x-country skiing? I've only heard of downhill up there?
bassanglers912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #62
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassanglers912 View Post
Do you really think that's true? I can only speak for myself. I checked flatwater paddling, hiking, and peakbagging (and would have added x-c skiing).
Where's there good x-country skiing? I've only heard of downhill up there?[/QUOTE]

It's everywhere. Just google it or check the following links. http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ny/ski_adir.htm
http://www.lakeplacid.com/shared/wha...ditions-xc.cfm
http://www.garnet-hill.com/

Enjoy!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #63
teleboy33
teleboy33

poll

Yeah I have to ski....that would be on the top of my list. I found some great rather open bushwack ski decents around LL this past winter. But interesting bushwacking beat out peakbagging. Are we saying it's thick up there or maybe the poll isn't finished yet.
teleboy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #64
Grey-Jay

winter?

hmmm, you must not be a winter person . . you are missing snowshoeing, cross country skiing, back country skiing, downhill skiing, ice skating,

Missing camping, birding, etc.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #65
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I thought it would be interesting to see what type of recreation forum members partake in in the Adirondacks. Also, realizing that many members live in the Adirondacks I included that as a poll choice. You can choose more than one response and your response is private.

If I missed your activity sorry but I ran out of poll choices.
Another activity takes a while to explain. Every July,I head up to Chateaugay Lake near Lyon MT.AND FILL AT LEAST 20 EMPTY POLAND SPRING WATER CONTAINERS WITH THE BEST SPRING-FED WATER EVER,IMO.
The water comes out of the pipes and covered by a blue roof on Sunset Road.Always cold and last I knew-still free. Another activity is chopping wood for fireplace and old kitchen stove. Still,hiking is the best activity for me and my family. Looncry
Old 09-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #66
walleyehunter

where is the camping catogary,i like to backpack the adks but with a new family i will stick to car camping for a while
walleyehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #67
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyehunter View Post
where is the camping catogary,i like to backpack the adks but with a new family i will stick to car camping for a while
When my sons were four and five and a half, I would take the seats out of our Town and country van ahead of time and when we reached ADKS campgrounds,they would sleep in the van.I would set up two-man tent and Paul would work all day,meet us there[Limekiln site#119] Happy days...Looncry
Old 01-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #68
rADK

Camping? Hiking and paddling are secondary requirements for that for me. And fishing is a nice bonus.

Rarely if ever do I go to the dacks specifically to fish, hike, or paddle in of themselves. However I also never go and not do at least 2 of those things if not all 3.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 PM   #69
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Just noticed this thread, the recreational opportunities listed are all summer fall activities, I paddle flat and whitewater, hike, climb, camp, and flyfish and some years bird hunt. But I also X/C and backcountry ski and occasionally tellemark ski at down hill areas , oh yes I occasionally snowshoe as well.
And I've been known to just lay on my back at night and just watch the sky.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #70
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"Another activity takes a while to explain. Every July,I head up to Chateaugay Lake near Lyon MT.AND FILL AT LEAST 20 EMPTY POLAND SPRING WATER CONTAINERS WITH THE BEST SPRING-FED WATER EVER,IMO.
The water comes out of the pipes and covered by a blue roof on Sunset Road"

I believe that's the same spring that Redhawk tasted recently while guiding a group into the wilds. After tasting it he spit it out and said, "Hmmmm Buffalo ahead"!
Old 04-24-2015, 04:47 AM   #71
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
"Another activity takes a while to explain. Every July,I head up to Chateaugay Lake near Lyon MT.AND FILL AT LEAST 20 EMPTY POLAND SPRING WATER CONTAINERS WITH THE BEST SPRING-FED WATER EVER,IMO.
The water comes out of the pipes and covered by a blue roof on Sunset Road"
Clearly you haven't tasted the water coming from the tap at Random Scoots.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #72
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"Random Scoots" sounds like a condition resulting from drinking that famous water recommended by Drunken Hines.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #73
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
"Random Scoots" sounds like a condition resulting from drinking that famous water recommended by Drunken Hines.
I'll have to mention that in my advertisements.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #74
RichieC

I think my third was recreated in the park.... but this another activity for another poll... LOL

I have bar hopped across sections, though mostly in the distant past... every bar back from Old Forge... ( there used to be more then now) I stumbled in to the Stumble Inn...Ahh but thise were the days.

Snowmobiling would be another recreational use, as well as general boating, snowshoe, CC, . Downhill skiing.. But I get why these types of activities were chosen- no criticism intended.

We combine trips. So in one trip I might check off quite a few of these! Ie: we party barge into a site on Stillwater dragging canoes, then from that base camp, we hit Salmon, Drop canoes up there, ... fish the creek back, hike into town! LOL and hit the Maple ridge of The Norridgewock Lodge. Next day, we hike back to Salmon, pick up stashed canoes and carry to Witchopple, perhaps some of the side ponds (bushwacking) . Or on a canoe trip to Lows, establish a base camp. Then day hike carry to Fishpole, Tamarack, Big Deer, etc. . Bushwack to Halfmoon and to the top of Grass Pond Mountain. Fishing the lake in the evening, etc.

So not just one thing on a trip practically ever.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:09 PM   #75
rbi99

Hiking and backpacking are "the same but different". Many more hikers then there are backpackers.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #76
Pathfinder

Flatwater paddler (mostly), Hiking/ Backpacking/ camping, warm and cold weather.

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #77
mxzscotty

snowmobiling
mxzscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #78
dpc34

Well lets see, My wife and I have done the following in the ADKs-Hiking-backpacking-flatwater paddling-xc, downhill and snowshoeing-raced and trained sled dogs-car camped-hunted and fished and also have had scotch with water from the tap at Random Scoots..About the only thing we don't do anymore is run dogs..Great place that we live..
dpc34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #79
Neil
Kayak-46

Maybe this thread/poll should be closed and a new, more comprehensive one should be started up. I can now put in as many poll choices as I want. All in favor say aye and suggest choices.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #80
dpc34

your call--but include water from Random Scoots with scotch.....
dpc34 is online now   Reply With Quote