Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #461
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
I was going to do that but I'm stuck in the cuse during the week days.
Oh, sorry about that. Bummer.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #462
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Welcome, Mr. Gulo....is your user name a refererence to your reverence for wolverines? Tough little guys, aren't they? I've only been out by Stillwater once or twice...I keep a sheath knife strategically cached on the bottom of that resevior, long story.
What other activities do you enjoy in the Adirondacks?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #463
NYgulogulo

You got it, stripperguy. Kudos for knowing the scientific name. Forgot to put my actual name. I guess I get to ask if your name is due to your reverence for strippers? Ya gotta do something with all those singles!

TC
NYgulogulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #464
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Welcome, Mr. Gulo....is your user name a refererence to your reverence for wolverines? Tough little guys, aren't they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgulogulo View Post
You got it, stripperguy. Kudos for knowing the scientific name. Forgot to put my actual name.
TC
I thought that was "gulo luscus"?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #465
ClimbingOnRocks

My name is Kevin. Im Currently a Junior at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. When I was younger my parent always took me camping and hiking, and i caught the bug. But this is one sickness that i love having. I have been to most of the national parks out west (use to live in Montana 12 years ago). Right now im "Living" in New Jersey but that simply because my parent live there.

Since i go to school so close to the Adirondacks I spend a good number of my weekends doing something. I have been Rock climbing for the past 7, originally just in a gym and then about 5 years ago i started climbing outside. I have climbed multiple times at the Gunks, 2 summers ago i spent 2 weeks climbing in Yosemite Valley. I have also climbed several times in Keene Valley but admit that I really should climb there more. In the past year I have started hiking alot more and have been working on the 46 (Currently at 14). I have also done a fair amount of Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in NJ & PA and done some backpacking in New Mexico. This past summer i purchased a kayak and have enjoyed kayaking in the Adirondacks, especially on Fridays when I get out of class and I look forward to kayaking more this spring.

This coming winter I look forward to doing some High Peaks during the winter, Ice climbing and improving my ice technique as much as possible, and skiing in what ever time reminds. All while balancing the work related to going to school for engineering.
ClimbingOnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #466
FlyingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbingOnRocks View Post
My name is Kevin. Im Currently a Junior at Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY. When I was younger my parent always took me camping and hiking, and i caught the bug. But this is one sickness that i love having. I have been to most of the national parks out west (use to live in Montana 12 years ago). Right now im "Living" in New Jersey but that simply because my parent live there.

Since i go to school so close to the Adirondacks I spend a good number of my weekends doing something. I have been Rock climbing for the past 7, originally just in a gym and then about 5 years ago i started climbing outside. I have climbed multiple times at the Gunks, 2 summers ago i spent 2 weeks climbing in Yosemite Valley. I have also climbed several times in Keene Valley but admit that I really should climb there more. In the past year I have started hiking alot more and have been working on the 46 (Currently at 14). I have also done a fair amount of Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail in NJ & PA and done some backpacking in New Mexico. This past summer i purchased a kayak and have enjoyed kayaking in the Adirondacks, especially on Fridays when I get out of class and I look forward to kayaking more this spring.

This coming winter I look forward to doing some High Peaks during the winter, Ice climbing and improving my ice technique as much as possible, and skiing in what ever time reminds. All while balancing the work related to going to school for engineering.

And CUOC invades ADKForum!!!

...actually I think it's only the two of us.
FlyingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:34 AM   #467
ClimbingOnRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCow View Post
And CUOC invades ADKForum!!!

...actually I think it's only the two of us.
Yeah CUOC! Yeah it probably is only us two.
ClimbingOnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #468
UpstateIrish

Hi, my name is Pete. My dad's side of the fam came from Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake and he would always bring me up to hike a 46er or hang out in Long Lake when I was growing up.

I liked these sojourns but was much more interested in spending time in cities like Boston and New York (where I currently live). As I have gotten older (turned 30 this year) more of my friends have been getting married in the ADKs and in going back there, I have fallen in love with the place. I am already making plans with my buddies to hike the MacIntyre Range and am going to sign up for membership in the ADK.

Also, I am glad I found this place that discusses all things Adirondacks. Looking forward to the discussions to come.
UpstateIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:35 AM   #469
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateIrish View Post
Hi, my name is Pete. My dad's side of the fam came from Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake and he would always bring me up to hike a 46er or hang out in Long Lake when I was growing up.

I liked these sojourns but was much more interested in spending time in cities like Boston and New York (where I currently live). As I have gotten older (turned 30 this year) more of my friends have been getting married in the ADKs and in going back there, I have fallen in love with the place. I am already making plans with my buddies to hike the MacIntyre Range and am going to sign up for membership in the ADK.

Also, I am glad I found this place that discusses all things Adirondacks. Looking forward to the discussions to come.

Hey Pete,
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you left Beantown because of all those sox fans. Good luck with the Macs...you're gonna love 'em!

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #470
skichucky
I Heart Freshies

grew up in Horseheads NY, yeah thats right, Horseheads. Graduated from
SUNY COrtland with a degree in Phys. Ed. Went to Professional Umpire schol immediately after and landed a job in minor league baseball as an umpire. good times. too much travel. 6 months straight, never go home.

Now i am a behavior interventionist in a middle school in northern vermont. i work with students on the Autism spectrum. it is a good gig.

i got into the outdoors at SUNY cortland in their Outdoor education program , which is necessary to graduate with a Phys. Ed degree. We spent 2 weeks based on Raquette Lake, taking a few excursions, one of which was a 4 days backpacking tri to the high peaks. I fell in love with it.

now I do mostly canoe camping, i enjoy fishing. In the winter all i do is ski. i have been a ski instructor for 6 years, past 3 at Stowe. I no longer do that, just hike and skin , earning my turns. I bring my dogs with me everywhere, they love freshies!

27 years old, married, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 jersey steers, and a bun in the oven (boy, due mid-feb). i am convinced the ultrasound picture had a pair of skis in there, sorry dear.
skichucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #471
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by skichucky View Post
SUNY COrtland with a degree in Phys. Ed. Went to Professional Umpire schol immediately after and landed a job in minor league baseball as an umpire. good times. too much travel. 6 months straight, never go home.

Now i am a behavior interventionist in a middle school in northern vermont. i work with students on the Autism spectrum. it is a good gig.

i got into the outdoors at SUNY cortland in their Outdoor education program , which is necessary to graduate with a Phys. Ed degree. We spent 2 weeks based on Raquette Lake, taking a few excursions, one of which was a 4 days backpacking tri to the high peaks. I fell in love with it.

now I do mostly canoe camping, i enjoy fishing. In the winter all i do is ski. i have been a ski instructor for 6 years, past 3 at Stowe. I no longer do that, just hike and skin , earning my turns. I bring my dogs with me everywhere, they love freshies!

27 years old, married, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 4 jersey steers, and a bun in the oven (boy, due mid-feb). i am convinced the ultrasound picture had a pair of skis in there, sorry dear.
Living the life brah...welcome to the forum.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #472
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skichucky View Post

I just finished doing 29 years with Autistic kids, keep up the good work! I know how difficult it can be both mentally and physically . I also used the outdoors to decompress...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #473
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Just a welcome to all the newcomers to the forum. This is a great place with great people. Hope to see you on the trail.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #474
darnedsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Hey Pete,
Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing you left Beantown because of all those sox fans.

HEY! There are ruls around here 'ya know- no politics, yankee foul talk or religion.
darnedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #475
PA Ridgerunner
Just a hiker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnedsox View Post

HEY! There are ruls around here 'ya know- no politics, yankee foul talk or religion.
Well, darnedsox, that might be my last shot on behalf of the Yankees. If what Manny says is true (hey, it could happen!), and the Yankees do give him a three year deal, or even a one year deal, I may seriously consider moving to the dark side. But that bandwagon is pretty full, so maybe I'll become a Jays fan.

Rule #6: Don't take yourself so G.D. seriously. There are no other rules. - Zander
PA Ridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #476
UpstateIrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Ridgerunner View Post
Well, darnedsox, that might be my last shot on behalf of the Yankees. If what Manny says is true (hey, it could happen!), and the Yankees do give him a three year deal, or even a one year deal, I may seriously consider moving to the dark side. But that bandwagon is pretty full, so maybe I'll become a Jays fan.
Thanks for the welcome wishes! And I grew up an Indians fan so I am really screwed up! As it gets closer to the climb date I will definitely pick all your brains about the best way to climb that range. I really enjoyed doing Big Slide a few years back and am looking to get back on the trail. Happy holidays!
UpstateIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #477
The Fireman

Hello all,

I stumbled on to the forum a couple days ago and it has definatly got my attention.

A little background about myself. I'm 24 years old from Oswego Ny, I work as a mechanic in an alluminum rolling mill located just a few miles from my home. I spent alot of time in the park when I was in the boy scouts (I'm an eagle scout), my best memories of scouting were the hikes we did in the high peaks area with my father.

My father and myself section hiked the NPT in the summer of 02, was a great trip but the weather left alot to be desired. I think we had 2 days that it didnt rain from dawn to dusk. We're going to thru hike the trail this september, I cant wait. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and if we're real lucky the leaves will be changing while we're out there.

I've also been picking away at the 46 high peaks, I started on them when I was 14 with the boy scouts, I've got 9 so far (3 were completed this past sumer on a vacation, the other 6 were done before I got out of school)

After I graduated from school I went to work and havnt had a lot of time to hike over the past 5 years, but when I got in at the mill I found myself with some more time to get out and enjoy the woods a little more. I've always had a love for being in the woods, everything seems to move at a slower pace and I find that very relaxing.
The Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #478
adktyler
previously adk88

Welcome, Mr. Fireman! It's great to have a new face on here!

And to everyone else, this thread takes FOREVER to load!! I guess that's what happens when you have a bazillion views and replies.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM   #479
spenny

I am a British girl who has been in the USA since July....legally i might add. Me and my husband(who is American) started bushcrafting in the UK about 5 years ago. We used to go to Ashdown Forest. We both lived in London and so we craved the outdoors and getting back to nature as we never ever saw true nature in the city. I am an ex flight attendant and my husband works in IT.
The ethos of our old bushcraft group was to travel light and leave no trace. we attended courses on wilderness living and learnt some awesome skills from the other members.
Hammocks were the main accommodation and we also carried fixed blades. we learnt knife care and also how to make knives from scratch. Since moving to the USA we have not been shrafting and we are itching to get back out there, hence the reason i joined this forum. we are searching for other people who are interested in bushcrafting who know the area better than we do.
spenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #480
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Ms. spenny,
Welcome to the forum. Poke around, I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you and your hubby.
Ashdown Forest, huh. Is that the one in East Sussex? Near Wych Cross?
Actually, I have no idea where that is, but Google Earth has pretty good coverage.
Are there many undeveloped areas in the UK? Just curious...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote