Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #341
bobrok
off grid-off road-outta sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
We also have a place off the grid,seems we go to bed early and get up early alot.But check out Lehmans for Amish off the grid stuff.They also have a alternative energy catalog. Lehmans.com Try to get the catalog mailed to you, its wondeful.
Thanks for the tip!

Join Blue Mountain Lake Club
"We have Our Own High Peak!"
www.bmlcny.com
bobrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #342
Adirondack_hunter
Southern Adirondack Hunter

I need to look around.

I my name is Harry. I mean, Fred. I mean Dave. Oh heck, just call me Adk like the rest of you! LMBO
I'm Dave.
Rockclimbing.com NY Route Editor

Last edited by Adirondack_hunter; 03-08-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Adirondack_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #343
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Dang ! You could write a book or two with that life !

..... Got stupid and married and now I'm doing it again. But not to a stupid one!.......

Nice Save !
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #344
Roy Wires

Hi, I'm Roy Wires, age 64. Born in Herkimer and spent my teenage years hunting, fishing and trapping in the West Canada Creek Valley. My family spent 15 summers (beginning in 1949) camping at Raquette Lake before moving there permanently in 1964 when my father was hired as superintendent of Kamp Kill Kare. Kamp Kill Kare (at the end of Sagamore Road, 6.5 miles south of Rt 28) is one of the last remaining Adirondack Great Camps (1100 acres) still owned by a private family. We lived there as a family until my father's retirement in 1975. While living at KKK I bushwacked the area all the way down to the Moose River Plains, fished all the area lakes and streams, and ran a trapline in the winter. I've published a book titled "Kamp Kill Kare, Memories Of Life In An Adirondack Great Camp" which can be found in a number of Adirondack bookstores, including the Adirondack Museum. I presently live in St. Augustine, FL, but try to make an annual trip to the Raquette Lake area each year. I miss my mountains..!!!!!
Roy Wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #345
serotonin
ember

I was raised by a tooth-less bearded hag.
I was schooled with a strap right 'cross my back.

But it's all right now...
In fact it's a Gas.

Now I'm going down that Gravel.
Gonna take that right-hand Road.
And I ain't stoppin'
'til my baby's home.

That girl I'm lovin', got great long curly hair.
But her mother and her father sure don't want me there.

I got to study some scheme, Lord; get my baby back to herself.
Lord, I love that woman and I don't want nobody else.

I look down that road just as far as I can see.
...a bunch of women and they be followin' me.

The brook run into the ocean, the ocean run into that deep deep deep blue sea.
The brook run into the ocean, O! the River run into that deep blue sea.
You ought to see them Women... Lord!

They be fishin' after me.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #346
Boreal Chickadee

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post

They be fishin' after me.
I knew there had to be fish in there somewhere!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #347
outofthisearth
Take a hike!

And thanks for having me

I found this thread by searching the word newbie because I wanted more than anything to just say a polite hello to all the people who are members of this wonderful forum.

I am an Adirondack aficianado
outofthisearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #348
biggesteaglefan

Hello all

First off I am very new here and would like to acknowledge all the wonderful information here. My name is Don 40 years old self employed in the Elmira/ Corning area. This past week we spent in Wells on Lake Algonquin and also did 2 hikes (Echo-Cliffs on Panther mountain and Blue mountain. Very much turned on to the area and hope to be coming up in Sept or Oct. Was disappointed to drive to Cathead to find it closed. Interesting fact is the Chamber of commerce in Speculator hadnt known it was closed and suggested we hike there. Any suggestions for other day hikes? Thank you all.
biggesteaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #349
Eagle36Jake

Who IS this guy?

Hey everybody. Hello, my name is Jake. I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana with my wife and two boys, 8 and 2. I am a chef by trade for 15 years. Within the past year I have changed hats to lead a more family oriented life. In the food business, you work when everyone else doesn't, weekends, holidays, nights, etc. I work for a contract company inside Shell Oil's refining facility on Big Muddy, near New Orleans. It is one of the 12 plants that contains a catalyst cracker, almost 300' tall vessel that breaks down hydrocarbon molecules to make gasoline. Yes, I survived the TWO hurricanes a few years ago, and could tell you some shuddering truths about what actually happened down here, as opposed to what the media claims occurred. Anyways, I am originally from God's country southeast of Syracuse, the hills of Pompey. I say God's country, but so much of New York is God's country. I've lived all over NYS, way downstate in the hudson valley, out in the finger lakes, in the "leatherstocking" region, up in Rochester, I guess pretty much all over. Did I forget the 'daks? Oh yeah, I always "lived" there when I had time, no matter what my address was. I used to make time.
I have always loved being in nature, the more distance from civilization the better. I learned so much about hiking/camping/paddling/etc. in scouts. I earned Eagle (before they started changing requirements) and recognition in the Order of the Arrow and it didn't even seem like work because it was my thing, know what I mean?
Get this...the last time I tried to go camping here was about a month ago, and it would have been in a cabin at a state park with a/c. Based on principle alone, I opted to stay home. It is over 80 degrees and carrying at least 60%humidity almost every night here this summer.
I had been all over the 'daks year-round doing various things for about 15 yrs. I guess. I am glad to have found this forum, I feel a little closer to home since doing so a couple of weeks ago.

Talk to you soon.
Eagle36Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:51 PM   #350
AlSara
We fish with a fly

We are Al and Sara. Al grew up in Glens Falls and hiked the ADKs in all seasons during the 80s and early 90s before bears, before reservations, but well AFTER Bob Marshall. So, Al followed Bob Marshall's steps to MT and the Bob Marshall Wilderness. He met Sara, a Monatanan and brought her back to the 'Dacks. Far from "Green Acres" scenerio, Sara fell in love with the ADKs and could never move back to Montana.

Living north of the Adirondack Park now, and loving NE NY more everyday!
AlSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrok View Post
Hi Chickadee,

There is also a redundant propane interior lighting system as well so we can use either depending upon available solar. I really like this feature because that creates a real nice mood light. We have a propane apartment size stove/oven and there is an old propane refrigerator but I am not using it because of concern over carbon monoxide poisoning associated with this type of appliance and many of the older units are under manufacturers' recall. I will have a battery powered co2 detector on at all times for safety's sake.
A forum search didn't turn up much on the subject of off-grid cabins, so if warranted perhaps a new thread can be started? I would be interested in anyone's tips and experiences.

Next trip up in 2 weeks if possible.

bobrook ,
We gave up on tinkering with the older propane 'fridges . Got a new one in the early '90 s. Very efficient and reliable. They don't give them away ( $1K+) but if you can put it on an outside wall they will breath in and out from outside.
Most any gas stove can be converted to propane as well.

Phil
1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #352
Neil
Kayak-46

I'm Neil and I enjoy playing hockey on frozen Adirondack ponds.

I posted on this thread a looong time ago. I was an avid outdoorsperson from my late teens to my mid-twenties and then I went to school, started a business, had 3 kids and got waaay out of shape.

Before getting out of shape I hiked and scrambled in the CDN Rockies, canoed and winter camped in Northwest Ontario and Manitoba and did other weirder stuff that I can't talk about here.

Then after getting back into shape I decided the Dacks might be worth a look-see so I came down from Montreal and did Marcy. Long story short, me and my son did the 46 together and I'm now 2 peaks shy of the winter 46 and 10 peaks away from the ADK Hundred Highest.

Discovering and becoming involved in these hiking forums has been a very positive influence in my life as I have always tended to be unsocial. I have made some very good friends thanks to the hiking forums. I still enjoy long solo bushwhacks in the Adirondacks but I mostly to go out with a partner or two.

One thing I really hate:

Old 08-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #353
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I'm Neil and I enjoy playing hockey on frozen Adirondack ponds.

I posted on this thread a looong time ago. I was an avid outdoorsperson from my late teens to my mid-twenties and then I went to school, started a business, had 3 kids and got waaay out of shape.

Before getting out of shape I hiked and scrambled in the CDN Rockies, canoed and winter camped in Northwest Ontario and Manitoba and did other weirder stuff that I can't talk about here.

Then after getting back into shape I decided the Dacks might be worth a look-see so I came down from Montreal and did Marcy. Long story short, me and my son did the 46 together and I'm now 2 peaks shy of the winter 46 and 10 peaks away from the ADK Hundred Highest.

Discovering and becoming involved in these hiking forums has been a very positive influence in my life as I have always tended to be unsocial. I have made some very good friends thanks to the hiking forums. I still enjoy long solo bushwhacks in the Adirondacks but I mostly to go out with a partner or two.

One thing I really hate:

"I have always tended to be unsocial"

I don't believe it for a second. Smart ass for sure but not unsocial. Your story sounds like my begining. I look forward to meeting you on Grace's day & having a few. Anyone that bakes bread and is married to a red head can't be all that bad.

"other weirder stuff that I can't talk about here."

Please do, the forum is getting boring.

"One thing I really hate:"

Don't hold back. Don't worry about being banned. I know the owners.

Have fun.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #354
Rookie
Dream Farmer

Neil ? Unsocial ?..This I gotta see.

Rickie-
I guess we'll have to look for him quietly hovering in a dark corner of the pub on Sunday.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #355
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Neil ? Unsocial ?..This I gotta see.

Rickie-
I guess we'll have to look for him quietly hovering in a dark corner of the pub on Sunday.
He'll be entertaining the dust mites!!

well, maybe entertaining isn't quite the right word.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #356
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Never really noticed this before...

Hello all, I'm Mike, aka stripperguy.
I've enjoyed the last year or so on this site and I guess I should formally introduce myself.
I build things.
All kinds of things. Houses, cars, Jeeps, bicycles, boats, paddles, a marriage, a family, a career, a business, I just need to build.
I served my apprenticeship, became a toolmaker, got some of my education, built a house, got married and then I turned 21. And I built my first stripper. OK, it wasn't my boat, but I built it with a buddy and then he helped me build mine the next year. And I just kept building. I have built and/or assisted on nearly 2 dozen so far, including a strip built 19 ft sailboat. I once built a stripper version of 16 ft Grant pattern guideboat with plans from the Adirondack Museum. I shouldn't say this out loud, but I hated it. I just don't like looking over my shoulder all the time, either on the water or in everyday life. Anyway, the dream was always to start a boatbuilding business and retire into it. That's not really an option for me now, but who knows! Maybe when the pressures of the high tech R & D world lessen a bit....
As far as leisure activities, I ski, both alpine and nordic, snowshoe, bicycle about 2,000 miles a season, hike, paddle, sail, wilderness camp, and take photos, digital now, all transparencies till a few years ago. Lots of photos.

Let me mention, if I may, how much I enjoy this forum. There is a wealth of combined knowledge and wisdom here, clearly. And great first hand accounts of trips and current conditions. But that's not what makes this forum unique, IMHO.
The difference here is the displays of respect and admiration, both for the Adirondacks and the other forum members. I don't want to get too touchy feely here, but, yeah, it's kind of nice.

And I do consider myself blessed, not just because of my fairy tale life, but beacause I live so near to The Park.
When I read some of the other posts from folks that live a day or more away, and can only visit maybe once a year, I remember how fortunate I am to live an hour or two from such a treasure. I've traveled alot, through the US and the world, and I can say.....There is no better combination of mountains, water and history than right here in the Adirondacks.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #357
Rookie
Dream Farmer

One more impressive forum member !
Where do they all come from ?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #358
pato frenzzy
pato frenzzy

hey i just wanted to sat that i think that all your peoples jobs/lives r cool i read each one i personally will be a meteorologist in about 6 years whoo and i think that will be awesome! and tie in with the nature side of things. but other then the weather nature is just so cool!!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #359
reindeergirl

Edited because it was awful.

Last edited by reindeergirl; 10-26-2007 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: My profile really sucked the root.
reindeergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #360
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeergirl View Post
I am a total city girl who adores the mountains, especially monadnocks.

I started going to southern Vermont with my college roommate - whose parents had vacation, now retirement, property there. Loved it the moment I saw it.

They taught me how cross-country ski. They taught me how to track animals and the beauty of being alone. Last weekend we were at the top of Mt. Equinox, which I'd been wanting to show my daughter for some 10 years now.

I just turned 49, am a writer (the Vt trip was partly for research), divorced and live in a rather rough city which, nonetheless, has a coastline. We have a view of the water from our rooms. I was raised in a decidedly ocean family - summers were spent in Gloucester and Rockport, Mass. - and was born by the sea.

Therefore, I love forests and coast, but am not so big on prairie and flat desert (not that there's anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld might say). I suppose that I am more typically a swimmer/kayaker, but I have my preferred magic mountains.

I found this forum because I was casually surfing for information about Stratton, Vt., and I am new to this delightful website.
Welcome
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote