Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

new camera

Whoo-hooo! Just bought a new (to me) Nikon D7200.
Haven't toyed with it much yet, but I can't wait to use the HD video and super high ISO settings...

Anyone else use this same camera? If so, how pleased are you with it?
Old 03-26-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
wiiawiwb

Congratulations, that's a serious camera. You're pictures are awesome to begin with so I can only imagine what you'll be showing us once you have the D7200 dialed in.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
RichieC

I have the 800e, Zeiss & Nikon FX lenses, etc. Expect a learning curve to get the most out of it... they are great cameras, and they will not hold you back.

Buy one of these, mine paid for itself exactly 100 times what i paid for it by protecting my gear perfectly if you plan on taking it into your canoe (LOL like you aren't). . In fact, soon after you saw me at Essex chain. Was getting back in on a beaver dam between 1st and 2nd, breeze had pushed out the front, so i climbed in over the back deck and my guideboat teetered for just a split second when the sharp keel rested on top of a hidden submerged beaver stick.. that's all it took to dip the edge far enough to fill the boat instantly- everything was floating free in a wink, i wasn't even in the boat yet! . Had to fish them out i with an oar... including my camera- which was dry as a bone!

Heavy- yep, but that camera won't take a dunk, or inadvertent tip, or drop in the muck - or even dust, rain etc. etc. Best investment i ever made- camera status is a total non-worry when locked inside... and rule is- top closed and latched- never closed and unlatched...ever - even for a second. I can get the camera body with 21mm attached, and a 105 vertically tucked in a corner in this small case. They do have a lighterweight version i think would be fine. Just measure carefully your dimensions and plan on foam thickness.

Post pics!

http://www.pelican1300case.com/
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
I have the 800e, Zeiss & Nikon FX lenses, etc. Expect a learning curve to get the most out of it... they are great cameras, and they will not hold you back.

Buy one of these, mine paid for itself exactly 100 times what i paid for it by protecting my gear perfectly if you plan on taking it into your canoe (LOL like you aren't). . In fact, soon after you saw me at Essex chain. Was getting back in on a beaver dam between 1st and 2nd, breeze had pushed out the front, so i climbed in over the back deck and my guideboat teetered for just a split second when the sharp keel rested on top of a hidden submerged beaver stick.. that's all it took to dip the edge far enough to fill the boat instantly- everything was floating free in a wink, i wasn't even in the boat yet! . Had to fish them out i with an oar... including my camera- which was dry as a bone!

Heavy- yep, but that camera won't take a dunk, or inadvertent tip, or drop in the muck - or even dust, rain etc. etc. Best investment i ever made- camera status is a total non-worry when locked inside... and rule is- top closed and latched- never closed and unlatched...ever - even for a second. I can get the camera body with 21mm attached, and a 105 vertically tucked in a corner in this small case. They do have a lighterweight version i think would be fine. Just measure carefully your dimensions and plan on foam thickness.

Post pics!

http://www.pelican1300case.com/
Rich,
I used to use those Pelican cases when shipping instrumentation around the world, in another life...I was always impressed with them. I'll have to decide if I'm willing to pay the weight penalty to protect a $600 camera...
My anonymous nephew (you met him) uses a small dry bag with some sort of spring steel closure. It's quick to open and close, and he keeps his puffy to provide flotation if ever.
You've got a D800e? I would need all new lenses to take advantage of that full sized sensor. I sold all of my film lenses long back when I said goodbye to my trusty FM2. Should've kept the lenses, any Nikon lens can still work with the new digitals, even manual focus ones.
Anyway, I'm anxious to see some night photos using some of those crazy high ISO settings. All the reviews say the image quality is amazing even with an ISO of 25,000!!
Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Back when Pelican boxes first came out in the 70's or early 80's, their warranty read
"guaranteed against everything except shark bite , bear attack , and children under 3", always liked that one.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
oldcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Whoo-hooo! Just bought a new (to me) Nikon D7200.
First you get the camera. Then you decide you need another lens for "x". Then you need a different lens for "y", then another for "z". Then you decide you need a different/2nd camera body. Pretty soon you will have full blown GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) and this happens:

Looking forward to seeing your photos Mike!
(you can read about this gear collection here: https://tinyurl.com/jvq3tzy)
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Woodly

Aye carumba, look at that fine collection. Amazing.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Phew, Bruce...I thought that was your collection!!