Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potterhomestead View Post
hi all-
i just placed an order with Hawk Vittles, good to know that he's still in the business. i've ordered before and can say that the food is very good! it's been an interesting exchange between everyone that came from my question...now if only spring will arrive so that we can get into cedar lakes without going through a foot of snow!!! (we've done that before in May, with a canoe and fresh food)
again, thanks for everyone's input-
PH
Enjoy Hawk's meals! They are the best I've come across. You must be in good shape to portage a canoe to Cedar up the hill from Pillsbury!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #22
potterhomestead

we no longer bring in a canoe, that was in the 1980's, early 90's, when we were much younger! although, i've seen some reports of others still willing to bring a boat in there. the water level has dropped since the dam went out, maybe soon no one could even get a boat on the water? sadly, i think that the good fishing is no longer...still, a magical place to spend some good woods time. it's a special place, remote and far removed from the world.
potterhomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #23
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I just got my annual order of Hawk Vittles. Unlike others on this thread I intend to keep buying from the tried-and-true source. My cooking skills are such that I could be in danger of poisoning not only myself but the few companions that will actually camp with me.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #24
nutmeg creeker

Great news!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #25
potterhomestead

i just got my hawk vittles in the mail today-thanks Hawk!
not so sure about this late/reluctant spring and a trip to cedar lakes on May 14, the road may not be open, any thoughts from anyone? we've come up with a ,"plan B", in the southern adirondacks for that week. my dad died last May, he so loved fishing at cedar lakes, we had some wonderful May trips there over the years, we had hoped to spread some ashes...it may have to wait. there's a chapter in Robert Elinskas's latest book, "In camp with adirondacks hunters", with some photos of him, Frank Leskovec. what a woodsman he was! we sure miss him.
thanks for reading this, hope that it wasn't an ,"over share" of information!
potterhomestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:37 PM   #26
Woodly

Potter; Too bad about your Dad. You will always miss him. I still miss mine after almost 30 yrs, squirrel and deer hunting never seemed to be the same without him. Some of the memories fade, even disappear, but others will always be bright and clear.
I hope you pick a weekend that is sunny and warm when you do get to spread his ashes and maybe then, even go catch the big one he missed.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #27
dmartenvt

Glad to know that Hawk Vittles is still on the go. I think my last shipment was a couple years ago. They have accompanied me many places. They were a very big hit at the campground in Desert Trip (rolling stones, Neil young, The Who, Roger waters, etc in Coachella) and were enjoyed by Austrians, english, Irish, and American people who I fed from my campsite there. They are also a favorite in the dune shacks in Provincetown, as well as in the ADKs. Well traveled food and all I need to eat!
dmartenvt is offline   Reply With Quote