Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #21
snapper
snapper

For what it's worth, I also thought of the idea for a picket fence of some kind. Even an older style rail fence might do the trick. At least both will be prominent enough that no one could say they didn't see it.

That's all for now. Take care and be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #22
Terasec

Signs wont stop them
They know what theyre doing
They dont care
They see unplowed driveway know owners not around
Try having a neighbor plow the driveway, even allow them to park a car in your driveway on occassion
A case of beer for the favor is cheaper than a fence
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:31 PM   #23
Tug Hill

Build a wall and have your neighbor pay for it. :>)
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #24
EagleCrag

The trouble with the trail cam idea is that, once confronted by the police with the evidence, there's no telling what they may do to "get even."
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #25
montcalm
Mobster

Land mines... just sayin'
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 PM   #26
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
The trouble with the trail cam idea is that, once confronted by the police with the evidence, there's no telling what they may do to "get even."
and that's always a possibility.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #27
adkman12986

One issue with putting down nails etc. If someone gets hurt you could be held accountable. Yes they can be annoying and don't care but be careful the road YOU take.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #28
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Trail cam does not have to involve police. If you can find their vehicle registration address, send them a valentine with a lawyers signature or just an anonymous pic of their license plate and a note (next time this goes to sheriff's or police).

If you want something done about it, you gotta take your chances.
Main reason for the 'decoy' cam is advertisement - if they see it and still persist to mess around nothing will deter them and they can't blame you for filing a police report.

The problem with vigilante justice ideas of tire sharks and the like is that a dimwit might get hurt and sue you (and your insurance company will not be amused). It may also escalate things if they decide 'repay' you by putting a rock through a window.

Clearing the driveway really depends on the situation, it can be a deterrent or an invite...
Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #29
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post

It may also escalate things if they decide 'repay' you by putting a rock through a window.
Thus my reason for asking if T.M. thought it was locals, and perhaps let it be if they're not doing damage. I know a camp that's been burned down not once, but three times. So they rebuilt it out of cinder blocks with metal window covers. A shame it comes to that!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #30
rADK

Start with a simple locked gate + a few of these signs.

If they do it again, actually install the strips and a camera. They've used force to gain entry and in the process damaged property- felony breaking and entering at that point, and they've demonstrated willful disregard for your warning signs with the possibility of harm to themselves. Get everything documented in a police report and by a lawyer. It's money well spent imo, a man's property is his and his only. I'd have zero tolerance for this crap. Did someone here actually make a case for not doing anything out of fear of their retaliation? "They might break a window next time?" That's sad.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #31
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rADK View Post
Did someone here actually make a case for not doing anything out of fear of their retaliation? "They might break a window next time?" That's sad.
Your "quote" attribution is misguided at best, go back and re-read what was stated (the entire paragraph).
Old 03-05-2018, 07:44 PM   #32
Schip

One way to deal with trespassers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmtV5RPolwan
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:16 PM   #33
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schip View Post
One way to deal with trespassers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKmtV5RPolwan

Old 03-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #34
JohnnyVirgil

maybe some of these:

http://www.mysecuritysign.com/img/lg...ign-s-5928.png

And some of these:

http://www.pyrocreations.com/12-gauge-alarm-kit.html
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #35
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
I need these
Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #36
Vinegar

Hey Tick Magnet, sorry to be so late on this one, but hopefully I can help for next season.

Can you give a better idea where this is located? Is it on/near a trail maintained by a DEC, a town, or a snowmobile club? If so, the org responsible for trail maintenance may be amenable to helping you, at the least installing some snow fencing to create a barrier. Terasec is right, they know what they are doing.

I don't think a trail cam, real or decoy, will make much of a difference. Even if you get a plate and have the police visit them (which will almost certainly be a warning and not any charges), I would be concerned about retaliation.

The booby traps are horrible ideas.

If you want some more help on this, send me a PM, I may be able to assist.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:49 AM   #37
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post

The booby traps are horrible ideas.

If you want some more help on this, send me a PM, I may be able to assist.
So...no land mines, then? I think most of the booby trap ideas were in jest. At least mine were.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #38
Klinkhamer

re: Firewood thieves

Don't know if urban legend, but heard of someone who kept getting their firewood stolen over the winter, so they split a piece, hollowed it out and loaded it with a few M80's, then gorilla-glued it back together and stuck it back in woodpile. Painted the end orange so they did not accidentally use it themselves. Apparently firewood was stolen once more then never stolen again. Would love to know if it ever really occurred.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #39
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinkhamer View Post
Don't know if urban legend, but heard of someone who kept getting their firewood stolen over the winter, so they split a piece, hollowed it out and loaded it with a few M80's, then gorilla-glued it back together and stuck it back in woodpile. Painted the end orange so they did not accidentally use it themselves. Apparently firewood was stolen once more then never stolen again. Would love to know if it ever really occurred.
It occurred that way and with variations;
And tho getting off the subject of the thread it reminds of the true tales of people who in the fall run their roto tiller through a patch of poison ivy and leave the vines in it and then if the tiller is stolen during the winter come spring the guy who stole it is easily identified once he pulls the now unidentifiable vines out of the tiller!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #40
Tick Magnet

Thanks folks for the renewed interest and support in this thread. Tredhed checked out the place this morning and provided these pictures. It's tough to tell the extent of the damage to the well (if any). We still have a few more weeks to wait until we can make the final determination.

One note of satisfaction is the fresh scrape mark on one of the small rocks that I put along the property line/right of way a few years ago. Maybe the scratches caused a little concern with the driver who made them. Then again, maybe not.

I'll keep ya'll posted as this melts.