Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
Blackflie

Hammock definition

I see that some wilderness areas have a limit on the number of tents that can occupy a designated site, and I totally get the reason. Are hammocks classified as tents? Arguably they are responsible for less soil compaction, mind you you have to put your feet on the ground at some point.
Blackflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Please point out an example wherw number of tents is limited. All regulations I have seen are for number of people.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
Blackflie

I noted it on the DEC Whitney Wilderness page

Entirely possible I am barking up the wrong trees

https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/9165.html
Blackflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Terasec

I believe the two tent rule is for organized campgrounds not backcountry primitive sites
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Terasec

Overnight group sizes of eight people or less using no more than three tents are allowed at all tent sites except for those on Lake Lila. Also the overnight group size may be nine people on Lake Lila.

Camping is only allowed at designated campsites in the Whitney Wilderness these are marked with yellow "Camp Here" disks.

See that now
So yes that specific area has restrictions
I would contact dec office to see if they consider a hammock a tent
My guess is they may not even know
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
I believe the two tent rule is for organized campgrounds not backcountry primitive sites
Negative.

https://govt.westlaw.com/nycrr/Docum...ta=(sc.Default)

6 CRR-NY 190.13
NY-CRR

190.13 Wilderness areas in the Adirondack Park.
(7) Primitive tent site means a tent site of an undeveloped character providing space for not more than three tents, which may have an associated pit privy and fire ring, designed to accommodate a maximum of eight people on a temporary or transient basis, and located so as to accommodate the need for shelter in a manner least intrusive on the surrounding environment. A primitive tent site shall be designated by an official department sign or disk.

I would be careful with erecting too many hammocks in a primitive site. The problem is most designated primitive sites have cleared spaces for tents with limited numbers of trees. Trees most suitably spaced for hammocks are generally located on the perimeter or beyond the designated tent area. Setting up hammocks there leads to trampling of vegetation and gradual expansion beyond the DEC designated tent site area, which is not in keeping with LNT. A ranger might take issue with you if you set your hammock up beyond the obvious limits of a designated "CAMP HERE" tent site.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-15-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #7
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

Hammock = Tent in Wilderness Areas

To answer the original question, yes, a hammock does qualify as a tent under the DEC's definition within Adirondack Wilderness Areas. See 190.13 (9) Wilderness areas in the Adirondack Park. "Tent means a temporary, collapsible shelter which is used for camping outdoors and is made primarily of fabric but which may have walls constructed from other materials."

It's less clear if a hammock qualifies as a tent outside of wilderness areas. I could only find a definition for "camp" but not for "tent."
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote