Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #21
geogymn

I find many of these narratives very concerning.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #22
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
About two years ago a ranger told me that when rangers are fully staffed they should number 104 in the state, but at that time they actually numbered about 80. Some districts that once had two rangers assigned now had only one. I know there has been at least one graduating academy class since then, so numbers are somewhat higher now with several new relatively inexperienced rangers. I have noticed recently that I do see a lot of new faces who I don't yet know well at SAR incidents when there might be a couple of dozen rangers on scene.
While i agree they may be understaffed
Dec numbers have been increasing year over year
2% budget increase every year for past several years
Currently there are 134 forest rangers in dec
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:10 PM   #23
suescanal

Had an extremely helpful conversation with a Region 5 ranger about a remote route I was interested in @a year ago. As we were talking it turned out he grew up in the same town I live in and he remembered my dog!
What a sweet coincidence. I do think the DEC is stretched and was grateful for his hehelp. Wasn't sure I'd hear back and it restored some faith.
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #24
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rADK View Post
You can buy it in liquid Form at places like Tractor Supply and then put in a spray bottle.
You'll get way more quantity for the $$$ spent.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:10 PM   #25
real3175

Forest Ranger that covers Schenectady and Albany county is always responsive, may take him a day or two but my inquiries have never been urgent. I always email the Regional office first with my question, for Region 4 I got a response within an hour from the Forest Ranger Officer in Charge. For Region 5 and for the DEC Campgrounds I got a response within 48 hours and were very detailed. My personal opinion is the DEC is one of the few (if not the only) state agencies that functions well, probably because its employees almost always are passionate about their work.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #26
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I find many of these narratives very concerning.
When I was having bear trouble 7 years ago I found them to be not very helpful. It was bad enough they blamed me (even though I pointed out I had not done anything different the previous 11 years without a break-in) but they even ticketed the one guy on property who actually was hunting bear. I had been warned beforehand not to involve DEC but I did it anyway. Lesson learned!

But my most strangest interaction was with a retired DEC officer who told me stories of some of the things he had done. The worst was intentionally damaging a treestand of a suspected poacher. He laughed when he told me the stand collapsed and the man broke his leg. Granted this was just one guy and doesn't reflect on the rest but the man was a power hungry psycho.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
Jack

I’m pushing 47 years of hunting, fishing, camping, backpacking,etc in the Long Lake, Blue Mountain, areas and then some. Over the years I’ve had several encounters with Forest Rangers, and every one has been pleasant and informative. I’ve finally settled in to my favorite place that I call my Woods Therapy Sanctuary. The Ranger I always see in there is Jim Waters and I know that he has my back. I consider him a Friend, Jim or any Forest Ranger will always be welcome in my Camp. They all save lives!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
The Ranger I always see in there is Jim Waters and I know that he has my back. I consider him a Friend, Jim or any Forest Ranger will always be welcome in my Camp. They all save lives!
ditto.

I very much like Jim and the dozens of other Rangers I have come to know well. Maybe because of my frequent associations during SAR incidents they also know me well as a trusted SAR crew boss and training instructor.