Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Hoser

Debar Mt and Northern NY conditions

Hearing no snow on the ground in Potsdam and heavy rain here in the SW corner of the Park. Given the rain next 24 hours and the hard freeze, looking at Debar this weekend, on spikes. Anyone been up that way recently and can report on conditions (I know its raining and freezing. Dont need a high peaks report, looking specific to this area). Any snow on the ground in the Tupper/Malone/Saranac lake level (under 2000 feet) - Thanks!
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
bluequill

Hays Brook area had a foot or more on packed out trails a couple of days ago with more in the open woods. Same conditions yesterday on the Gulf Brook/ Lost Pond/ Hurricane trail in Keene. It's raining now and snow is melting fast in Saranac Lake.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Hoser

Thanks. Sounds like micros the choice, especially after the next couple of days.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
NEranger21

Creeks/Rivers are open through Duane and St. Regis Falls. Ponds/Lakes still have ice... Micro spikes/snowshoes will get you through unless you're planning on hiking Furnace or Debar..I'd brink crampons and a mountaineering ax for those, pretty icy as of 3 days ago.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
Hoser

Ice will only get worse next few days....hmm.....need a more gradual trail up a mountain in that area, any suggestions? What does Pinnacle and Owls Head (Franklin county) offer? Already did Tupper Triad
Old 04-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
bluequill

There is St Regis Mt or Jenkins Mt at Paul Smith's also.

FWIW....it is snowing now with 18 degree temps. Snow plows have gone by numerous times this evening.

These past two weeks I have been ok with spikes early in the day but have had to change over to SS's as the snow warmed up and I began to post hole. Pack both.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
TCD

I have not been up it, but Loon Lake Mtn. is another possibility to consider in that area, with the fairly recently re-opened trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEranger21 View Post
Creeks/Rivers are open through Duane and St. Regis Falls. Ponds/Lakes still have ice... Micro spikes/snowshoes will get you through unless you're planning on hiking Furnace or Debar..I'd brink crampons and a mountaineering ax for those, pretty icy as of 3 days ago.
NERanger21, quick question, and sorry for the thread drift: I've been up Debar, but I'm interested in Furnace. Is there a trail of some sort up Furnace? I am familiar with the network of logging roads that leads from Route 30 over to the east side of Furnace, but is the mountain itself a bushwhack, or is there a trail somewhere?
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
Hoser

NP on the drift. Curious on this area. Anyone been up Loon Lake Mt recently? NP with ice just like to avoid some steep ice if that makes sense.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Hoser

Or Grass Pond?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #10
Hoser

Or Pinnacle?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
NEranger21

TCD- Furnace is a bushwhack, unless there is a secret heard path I've yet to find...I usually access it from RedTavern rd, From rte 30, you'll see a recent logging operation and a two landings on the south side of the rd. There's usually a parking spot or two plowed on the N side (thumbs up to Duane Highway Dept)...There's a fair amount of ledges and caves, I personally wouldn't mess with that mountain (as a late winter early spring hike) unless I had rope and 2 partners w/rescue skills..once the snow is gone and you can see all those hazards than I'd hike it solo.

Mutton ridge is a run/easy winter jaunt, and has a couple sneaky views.

Hoser--I haven't seen the trails for Loon, Pinnacle or Grass since that windstorm..All the trail heads are plowed, Grass and Pinnacle are still ski able.

If you get out on any of these, please send me a PM so I have a handle on how much blowdown is out there. Trail clearing time is just around the corner!
Old 04-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #12
TCD

Thanks, man; plan to go once things dry out in May. The cliffs are actually what I am looking to explore.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
Hoser

Ended up doing Azure on Sunday to keep the equipment to a minimum. Couple inches fresh snow on the way up was down to dirt on the way down. About ten people all day through 1pm (although I know not all signed in). Micros were helpful, almost could have bare booted it. Parking area clear although the Blue Mt road was glad I had AWD and did almost bounce off a couple deer that refused to move. Fantastic lunch at the Deer Valley Trails.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
equyst

Loving this thread! sub'd
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote