Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > Forum News and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #481
Ozzy

Well, let's see. I'm 38, and have been a musician my whole life (drums). In May 2008, I finished a degree in anthropology from SUNY Geneseo. I specialized in social & cultural anthropology, Iroquois studies and coauthored two books on New York State history with Arcadia Publishing while I was at Geneseo.

I'm planning on going to Syracuse next fall to work on a Masters in Library & Information Science, and looking forward to being closer to the Adirondacks. I recently landed a job as a drum tech for a successful band, who just happen to be good friends of mine. In the last few months I've traveled all over the U.S. and to 15 countries in Europe with them.

I've been fishing since I could walk, and have always loved the outdoors. One of my favorite spots in the "North Country" is the Chippewa Bay area on the St. Lawrence River. My family have been going there every year since I was born.

OK, I guess that sums it up. Glad to be a part of this place.
Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #482
Steve Hawkins

Hello

Hi everyone,

My name is Steve Hawkins and I just joined today. I am 31 years old, and the proud father of a 15 month older daughter, and a lovely wife. Originally from North Carolina, I have lived in the Mid-Hudson Valley of New York for the last 8 years. I have visited the Adirondacks on many occasions, both in the High Peaks, and also the more remote regions of the park. I enjoy backpacking, dayhiking, and canoeing. My goals this year are to go backpacking with the wife and daughter to some more of the remote areas of the Adirondacks. I did alot of dayhiking last year with the little one, and intend to expand this year into multi-day backpacking.

I look forward to contributing and learning from this forum!
Steve Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #483
MTman

Im Bryan, from Watertown NY, Im a Process Engineer at New York Air Brake Corp. and I just joined the forum

Im married to a wonderful woman (15 years), and have 3 grown sons, and 4 grandkids. Im the big 40 now and just started hiking/backpacking the Daks last summer. I have always talked about hiking the mountains, and for fathers day my kids bought me a 45L backpack. The rest will be history in future trip reports. Family is #1 to me, and most of my hiking is done with my son, and/or family. My first mountain was Marcy on 7/23/08, and since have done Whiteface(hiking not driving), and Colvin (missed Blake) as well as touring Whetstone Gulf & Watkins Glen parks.

I started camping and fishing with family as a small kid and started hunting at the age of 14. The outdoors and nature have always been important to me ans I have spent my fair share of time in the woods. I try to do my part to be "green" and preserve Mother Earth.

Cant wait to see more great trails and summits, and maybe occassionally less people. No offense to the people out there .

Last edited by MTman; 06-02-2009 at 10:37 PM..
MTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #484
RichK

I never saw this thread until now so I'll do my part.

I'm Rich from Rochester, I just graduated from Syracuse University with a Bachelor's in Finance. I had plans on going into I-banking immediately after undergrad until the great one destroyed the industry, so that is on hold until after grad school. I have 2 dogs ( a chihuahua and a pomeranian) who are my hiking buddies and I seem to find new hobbies every month that end up costing me money. Right now I've in the process of searching for a job so I'm not sure where that will take me but it should be interesting.
RichK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #485
adktyler
previously adk88

Quick question. This is a really long thread, and takes forever to open. My network timed out three times trying to view the last page. I finally had to go to page 5 and keep going back until I reached this one. Does anyone else have this problem?

Could the thread possibly be split up into two parts or something? Just wondering.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #486
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

tyler,
I just timed it, my connection/computer took about 4 sec to open to the latest posting.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #487
cameraperson

I'm a Native Adirondacker...

Born in Saranac Lake at Adirondack Medical Center- and later lived in Brasher Falls for many years. I have a little old camp on Lake Ozonia where we spend lots of summer time and winter time on the water and ice. I currently have 10 of the 46ers left, and cant wait to finish and get my 46er tattoo and the patches.

I live in Washington DC right now and work as a television news photographer, and I paddle the Potomac and cycle the bike trails and the canal trails. But I wish I was closer to home. I'd love to live in Lake Placid or Saranac Lake again.

More? MikeAroundtheWorld.com
or MikeAroundtheWorld.com/LAKEOZONIA for pix and audio...

myspace.com/lakeozonia

facebook.com/cameraperson FRIEND ME!

And I love peakbagger.com

And listen to us at reverbnation.com/thefoxhalls

Cameraperson@hotmail.com
cameraperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #488
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

*Tip toes in, looks around and wonders if it's safe and decides to put a toe in*

Good evening Everyone!

OK, A little about myself, huh?
I'm from Syracuse, born & raised. I'm divorced with no children. I'm an LCSW-R and work as a therapist in an out-patient mental health clinic. I also supervise two clinicians at our main clinic and two in one of our off-site bases in a hospital. I really enjoy what I do, though it can be very challenging at times.

I do enjoy climbing though am not (by any stretch of the imagination) a 46r (I'm *really* only a '2'r'.) *grins* Though I have done a few non-high-peaks. Regarding hiking, I know I'm certainly a dwarf amongst a bunch of Giants (and I'm not talking about the mountain either.)
I think I can gain a tremendous amount of knowledge here just by reading and tapping into the expertise of everyone here. I can only hope I can offer people something in return here as well.

In my spare time, I enjoy the wine trails. Several of the wineries on Seneca Lake know me by name. <---- Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I definitely leave it off of my resume. (I am most certainly a Red Wine drinker and unfortunately NY doesn't have a long enough growing season for Reds.) My All-Time-Favorite-you-can-win-me-over-kind-of-wine???... This Red Zinfandel. But don't assume snotty-ness here, last June I was able to get 8 middle-aged people (myself included) to shotgun a beer at SPAC's Jazz Fest.

I bought my first Canon SLR last winter and have been learning how to use it.
I also like to bike ride, still use my rollar blades, tend to hibernate in front of a fire in the winter, am just as comfortable in high heels as I am in hiking boots, can make a pot of kick azz chili, and can probably kick your azz in chess. <--- *coyly smiles*

Anything else, you'll have to frequent my blog for.

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #489
hunsmire

Thanks for Neil for steering me over to this thread so that I can properly introduce myself.

I live just inside the "blue line" at Chateaugay Lake; my ancestors were original pioneers in this area in the early 1800s, so apparently loving the local history is hard-wired into my DNA.

I have a blog that features various newspaper clippings from the past as well as old photos and postcards:

http://shatageewoodshistory.wordpress.com/

As I've stated elsewhere on this forum, I'm a composer, and although I've done a lot of work in traditional mediums, these days I tend to enjoy working with computers and fooling around with experimental idioms. I taught music theory, counterpoint, and electronic music studio (back when this involved machines and patch cords) at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, and the University of Illinois. I've studied with various talented individuals, but one stands out, Salvatore Martirano, who was my friend and mentor.

I enjoy gardening, hunting, and fishing, although I don't really do much fishing now that they're all full of mercury.

I used to spend a lot of time hiking and camping down in the "high peaks" when I was a teenager, and have some experience with winter mountaineering in January under somewhat adverse conditions (sub-zero temps in a blizzard). However, I enjoy the woods and the smaller hills right around home; they're not as populated with hikers, although the woodcutting and 4-wheelers have ruined many of the old trails I used to enjoy. I also enjoy canoeing and kayaking.

I now do work as the production manager for a book publisher; we do work for the Franklin County Historical/Museum society, so I get to produce their annual publications and also have been producing a series for them that collects earlier annuals. It's a lot of fun, and I enjoy it. Also, I've scanned well over 1,000 antique glass plates from the "Robideau Studios" collection in Malone, stuff from the later 1800s, some of which we've now published.
hunsmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 PM   #490
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunsmire View Post
Thanks for Neil for steering me over to this thread so that I can properly introduce myself.
Welcome to the forum - looks like a great blog you have, and having someone with your historical insight around here will be a great addition to some of the other history buffs we have.

Scott
WinterWarlock

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #491
Paradox6

Feeling a bit selfish after reading about everyone else and not putting anthing here.

I'm a lawyer in Orange County, yep...a trial lawyer, but at this point pretty much exclusively, representing defendants in civil cases in the lower Hudson Valley. Married, three kids, one granddaughter, who sleeps over every Friday night and who has become the center of our life, we try to do something every Saturday with her, maybe just to make up for all the times we didn't have the time or resources when our kids were growing up, and to give mom and dad a break. Learned that it has become the one project my wife and I really work on together as a team, so we've got more out of it than we ever expected.

Grew up in Rockland County. Graduated from West Point in 1974 and spent 5 years at Fort Hood, Texas mostly working with tanks. Between my 2d and 3d years in college, they sent a number of us off to Texas for the summer to learn how to fly helicopters and got a private license. 19 y/o, $.25 beer, the run of the Officer's Club until 1AM and back on the flight line at 6, what more could a young boy want? Met my future wife there.

The Army was a great experience. Spent time in the Mojave Desert in June, 110+ every day, but in sleeping bags every night, can still smell the greasewood; and 3 weeks in a tent in Alaska in Feb, never got above -30, got down to -57 one night, but the country was beautiful and auroras were mesmerizing. Went off to law school at Texas Tech, graduated in 1982. While going to law school a part time job turned into a new career in the oil business for 7 years, working as the production manager for an independent oil producer, basically doing everything the business required. When oil prices busted, I hung up my own shingle in West Texas, doing mostly criminal defense work, mostly court-appointed cases, including a capital murder case where we ultimately walked our client home after he spent three years in jail waiting for trial. Started to learn to fly sailplanes, loops and barrel rolls at 16,500 feet with no motor are sublime.

It was, professionally, a lot of fun, but most criminals do not pay very well and the ones that can are usually not folks you want to get too close to, so I opted to move the tribe to NY in 1992 for something a bit more stable.

Secretly, I think my real reason was that getting to the Adirondacks from Texas was too hard. Love to get out by myself and fish, learned I don't really care too much about catching anything, kinda disrupts just being there. Been going there since 3 weeks old and wished I could be there more. On our third fixer-upper house, progress is slow and my wife is a saint. Really love woodworking and drool over the stripper projects. Kinda hard to justify starting one when the kitchen needs a bare stud renovation. Biggest goal is to make sure my kids and granddaughter want to go to Paradox as much as I do.
Paradox6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #492
yellowcanoe

I am ancient history... I got a Regents scholarship as a NYS resident back in the '60's and off to St Lawrence Univ I went. We had to take phys ed and back then the only choices were golf and canoeing. Guess what I did'nt take? There was an Outing Club and every weekend we went off to do something in the Adirondacks. We did mountains in the winter or skiied. I am ashamed that I brought back a six foot section of wing off the B 47 on Wright to plaster in my dorm room as a bulletin board in 1963. We used to take cafeteria trays to slide off Algonquin.

Anyone remember the T bar at the Snow Bowl on Rt 68 just off 68 in South Colton? I learned to ski there. The T bar was interesting. There was a point midway that was not visible to the bottom or the top operators. One time there was a 42 person pileup in that middle..all arms and legs. Once one went on a T bar usually a meltdown followed. I am amazed how fast the brush grew once the site was abandoned.

I remember at Whiteface we were issued itchy woolen blankets for the inevitable chairlift breakdowns.

My first canoeing overnight was on the Oswegatchie..an hour after leaving I stood in the boat and the car was right there! We swam in May...we walked on water.

Later we rented a canoe on Long Lake and paddled to the Cold River for an overnight. Going out there were three foot waves and the gunwales separated from the canoe. Then we camped in the shelter. It started to rain and rained all the way back. We being young and foolish had a great time.

Lived in Black River a while.. then quite a few years in 'Cuse where of course we did ADK weekends. Now we get back once or twice a year. Since 1996 its been a week at Paul Smiths or Star Lake for canoe gatherings.

But I think my days of hanging onto a cable (Gothics? ) are over. Nowadays its tromping around the White Mountains in New Hampshire or paddling rivers like the Andro or the Saco.

Our hiking "highlight" was summiting Marcy as a thunderstorm hit. Somehow being the highest point in NYS was no longer appealing.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #493
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I am ashamed that I brought back a six foot section of wing off the B 47 on Wright to plaster in my dorm room as a bulletin board in 1963. We used to take cafeteria trays to slide off Algonquin.

Lived in Black River a while.. then quite a few years in 'Cuse where of course we did ADK weekends. Now we get back once or twice a year. Since 1996 its been a week at Paul Smiths or Star Lake for canoe gatherings.

Our hiking "highlight" was summiting Marcy as a thunderstorm hit. Somehow being the highest point in NYS was no longer appealing.
Interesting Bio, Yellowcanoe. I enjoyed reading it.

Yeah, taking the wing section was probably not the best choice... but I'm thinking of where you probably were... age-wise, back then. I'm sure it was quite impressive and quite the conversation piece with all your college buddies... and the ladies too, I'm sure!
My guess is that you don't have it still?

Cafeteria Trays?! I laughed at that one. Yep. That's definitely a college thing... where everyone firmly believes (read: delusional) they're immortal!! (I'm guessing, you've quickly out-grown that stage, while on the summit of Marcy.)

If you don't mind me asking, where abouts in The 'Cuse did you live?
And are you an SU Basketball fan?

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #494
yellowcanoe

My wedding had to be scheduled around SU football. If we scheduled it during a home game, my father in law would have chosen the game. he had season tickets. Married in DeWitt during a snowstorm.

Lived in Eastwood, Married Students Housing at SU off Colvin (Lambreth Lane-think its goine)..That was temporary post war housing that still stood as of 1972. Can you say firetrap? Also have in laws currently south of Valley Drive and in Bayberry in Liverpool.

My first canoe was a wedding present and came from Liverpool Sports. It was a Grumman. Our first outing was in May..we drove to Stillwater Reservoir to find it...still frozen..

uh as a girl I wasn't trying to impress the girls.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #495
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
uh as a girl I wasn't trying to impress the girls.
OMG!! Yellowcanoe! I'm sorry!! I don't know why I had assumed you were a male! (OK, my cheeks are a bit warm right now!) Sorry!

Mmmmmm.... I live in Eastwood.
Seriously. Born and raised there.

SU Football. Ugh! They seriously need to get their act together. I think everyone thought this year would be better. I suppose if you look at it from the perspective that even know we lose every game, the point-spread isn't quite as horrible as in the past.

I've got season tickets for SU Basketball, and pretty decent seats as well. But Damn expensive though... for college basketball! I actually split 2 seats with three people..makes it more affordable that way.

That must have been a bummer about Stillwater! And I bet you were excited to try it out for the first time?

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Old 01-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #496
mikepam1013

My name is Mike and I was introduced to this site by Dick, who had been giving me valuable trip advice for high peaks and other trips that I could take my wife and two kids ( 4y and 20m).

I have been camping in the Adirondacks for over 20 years, but I did not start hiking peaks until 2005. I hiked Blue and Snowy and then began the quest for the 46. I have hiked Mt. Washington twice (would like to do the hut to hut traverse someday) and have hiked Hunter and Slide in the Catskills. My hiking partner is my best friend of over 25 years and we have completed 16/46 so far and plan on doing our first winter peaks (Street and Nye) in a few weeks.

I got hooked on this forum for trips reports as I have studied Barbara McMartin’s guides, James Burnside’s book, and the ADK guide to see what trails we should use for each trip. When I am not hiking I enjoy camping with the family, kayaking, and photographing wildlife.

For all of you that have and will post trip reports, I really appreciate it. I’ll add ours,as well.
mikepam1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #497
Dick
somewhere out there...

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum!

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #498
geogymn

My birth name is Jim. Been stumbling on this earth for over a half century. Was imprisoned on the family farm for pert near twenty years. Spent much time as possible in the riparian woods. Finally an escape via Outward Bound, three weeks in the Gila Mountains, heaven. Towards the end of the trip we had a three day solo. No food, no fire, no sleeping bag, no companionship, below freezing temps. Did a lot of jumping jacks and soul searching while waiting for the sun to crest the canyon wall. By the third day I really started seeing things in a new way. That epiphany almost did me in. Spent the next year hitchhiking cross country. On my second time around I stopped in Lake Placid, stayed for three years. Due to my work I got an all access pass during the Olympics. Was on the good side of the fence for the downhill events and got some good shots of the bottom of the skis from a precarious perch. A friend and I and boda bag watched Heiden take his five medals. Was against the glass when the USA won the hockey gold (my job was to smuggle the beer in claiming it was extra film). Needless to say Placid was great. Next three years lived in Vail. Spent a lot of time building Beaver Creek Resort. Moved back to the Valley of the Mohawk and raised a family, which ended up being more fun than Placid. Into solo camping and hiking unless it is with close ones. Also hunting, reading, canoeing and mycology.

Last edited by geogymn; 01-17-2012 at 07:21 PM..
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM   #499
kwc
loser

some SU memories ...

I remember sledding down the street behind Kimmel Dorm on cafeteria trays after a big snowstorm ...
I remember $20 season student passes for ALL of the sports (BB, football, etc.)
I remember football in Archibald Stadium ...
and basketball at Manley Field House ... with all the dust and dirt hanging in the air from everyone walking around!

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #500
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
some SU memories ...

I remember $20 season student passes for ALL of the sports (BB, football, etc.)
I remember football in Archibald Stadium ...
and basketball at Manley Field House ... with all the dust and dirt hanging in the air from everyone walking around!
$20!!! That kills me! I can't believe what they now charge for SEASON tickets for the Men's Basketball!! I have season tickets this year, and there are three, Yes... Three of us that splits 2 seats. Which means I don't go to all the games. Thankfully there are a lot of games to see. My share?? My share alone was $349! That's over a $1000 for two seats... For College Basketball, for Christ's sake! We've got pretty good seats, as you can tell from here: http://twitpic.com/zrumz But still! It's crazy!
Someone's gotta pay for Boeheim's salary. grrrr.
Do you still follow SU Basketball? The Georgetown Game was great. Yaay!

And I remember seeing Van Halen in Manley Field House. They were just promoting their 2nd album. Tickets were $8. I swear!

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

~Gustav Adolfo Becquer