No announcement yet.

Do Lynx exist in the Dacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me that looks like a bear track. The mud is cracked around the track which makes me think it was something a little heavier then a lynx.

Comment

No claw marks though...

Comment

You can maybe make out claw marks, but could be how the mud cracked... Also, I found a bear track this summer in the mud and it was nowhere near as deep as this one, and nearby raccoon tracks were actually deeper impressions... Obviously the difference between the 2 locations could be a factor in why, but im just saying the depth doesn't necessarily mean its a larger animal. The left side of that track makes it harder to tell, but if its feline, bobcat is more likely.

Comment

toes.. one two three four. Dog

one two three four five. Bear.

Comment

Hey, the marten came back. As did the moose. There are populations close enough that they could have made the trek. As elusive as the bobcat is, it's not hard for me to believe a few lynx have wandered in without being seen. Is there a breeding population? Probably not.

Comment

I came across tracks that I'm pretty certain belonged to a lynx about 5 years ago in Newcomb area

Comment

I'll confirm myself a fool and note that I saw a black one recently outside of my office in Rochester. I did not get a picture and there were no tracks to be found (that I could see). I was able to get good look at it (briefly) with binoculars. A co-worker was the one who spotted it from my office window so it was seen by two of us. Redhawk has already berated me for not taking a picture of it. maybe next time.....
                I reported it to the DEC with the expected results. I also checked all of the local zoos and animal farms to confirm (as did the DEC) that there were no reports of missing "pets".
                Coincidentally one was spotted (also black) near Windsor NY 6 days before this one was seen outside of Rochester.

I also saw one on a road cut off of route 17 just outside of Schenivus NY about 18 years ago. To embellish the unbelievability, the same day I saw a black bear about 10 miles farther down the road.

There is no possibility to mistake this animal for a cat, dog, coyote, bobcat, duck or chicken. When you see one you will be amazed at the size and length of the tail, it's body size and most of all the head. It's like a small bowling ball with pointy ears and very intense eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by mgc View Post
                  When you see one you will be amazed at the size and length of the tail, it's body size and most of all the head. It's like a small bowling ball with pointy ears and very intense eyes.
                  A lynx does not have a long tail. What are you describing here?
                  Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by poconoron View Post
                    A lynx does not have a long tail. What are you describing here?
                    Sounds like a Chupucabra
                    Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

When I was a young teenager there was a lynx in my next door neighbors yard in the fall of 1974... in Webster NY. D.E.C. said it was a Canada Lynx...It was huge. I saw it myself; and I was there when the D.E.C. picked it up. My neighbor shot it as it had been eating his Dog's Food. We lived on the edge of a large farmer's field and apple orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPFOREST View Post
                        I know we have had this thread on Mountain Lions & Wolves, but whats the opinion Re; Lynx in the Adks?
                        They have been considered long gone in VT. but the VT.F&WL just released a confirmation of Lynx tracks.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...=2007702210302

Those tracks are big compared to the dollar bill, I can see now how small a Bobcat's are in comparison.

Because they can travel so far to hunt, I wonder if they always make it back to their den or just find a tree and call it home for the night?
                        They exist, I got a pic of one on the trail cam. In my opinion they keep multiple dens.

Mountain Lions and wolves do not.
                        A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they never shall sit in

Comment

Working...
                        X