Moose Killed - Newcomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holdstrong View Post
    And the fact that there are people walking around in the woods with guns that - for whatever reason - mistake moose for deer is not surprising (given how often people and dogs and the like are mistaken for deer), but it is pretty terrifying to think about sharing the woods with them.
    Based on what evidence have you drawn the conclusion that the moose was mistaken for a deer?

Comment

Originally posted by Holdstrong View Post
      The Adirondack Moose population has not been growing at anywhere near expected levels and the DEC has recently implemented programs to better track the population and try to understand why.
      Moose populations have declined in Maine, VT, and NH over the last few years. I doubt the DEC has accurate enough numbers to know whether they are down in the Adk's, but my guess is that they are.

That said, a very limited lottery based hunt could raise lots of money for further study.
      "Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones of this presidency."

Comment

Originally posted by Limekiln View Post
        Moose populations have declined in Maine, VT, and NH over the last few years. I doubt the DEC has accurate enough numbers to know whether they are down in the Adk's, but my guess is that they are.

That said, a very limited lottery based hunt could raise lots of money for further study.
        Ticks blamed. Pop 2012 76,000. Pop est 2014, 65-70,000. This is for Maine where they are still commonly seen.

Comment

They do not need a moose hunting season to fund studying them. Every hunting item sold has a dedicated tax on it that goes to conservation, it is where the millions come from to buy state land back, etc. etc. This sounds a bit like the self serving ploy of the Japanese in killing whales for "research" which is primarily a taste test in sushi restaurants... I am a life long hunter and fisherman, all around outdoorsman ... and I say LEAVE THEM ALONE TILL THERE IS ENOUGH. And as I see deer every day, and never once a moose, (have seen tracks) we don't have enough.

Also when you consider that Pennsylvania has around 1 million Hunters and 600,000 in NY, so between these two states, they constitute the second largest "Army" in the world, exceeding the US Military by 100,000... the number of accidents is really, really weenie. 4.3 "Incidents" (not deaths) per 100,000 ( NY 2013). There are idiots...in the woods and on the roads.

Your drive to work every morning is far more perilous... which common sense should tell you where your concerns should lie... unless you have an agenda.

The ONLY excuse for killing the moose was mistaken identity for a white tailed deer... but that isn't an excuse either, because it wasn't... anymore than killing a horse or cow for the same reason would be. The guy should be heavily fined and go to jail, not because of the death of a moose, but because of his horrible judgement, same with the idiot who killed the tame deer in Old Forge.. he lost hunting privileges in this state and the one he came from for life (I believe) and was fined. I'd stick his ass in jail too. We don't need people like this on roads or in the woods or in congress...( I threw that last part in! LOL).

Comment

I had a young Moose hanging around my camp. She was roughly the same weight as the one shot. I got plenty of photo's from my game cam. As I down-loaded onto my device I still knew exactly what it was from the thumbnail. They don't look anything like a deer. Sorry but I think it was intentional.

Comment

Working...
            X