This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boreal Fox View Post
    Any idea how long it will take Google to update their maps to indicate the new additions to the park as being part of the park?
    Not quickly, if the past is any indication. It might happen faster if someone contacts them and makes them aware of the updated information.

In the past, I've contacted them to report errors and it has usually taken a couple of months before they responded and fixed the mistakes. I contacted them over a year ago now, though, to report that the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest has mysteriously vanished, and I never received a response (and the area still isn't shown as public land on Google Maps).

(Making this post has inspired me to re-submit the error report, so perhaps it will be fixed in the next few months.)
    Last edited by DSettahr; 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thankyou DSettahr! I think it's very helpful, considering, Google Maps is used by most people looking to find something on a map these days. Please let us know about any developments in this!

Comment

Also useful are the various counties GIS sites. I do most of my playing in the woods in Essex County:

Go to "Planning and Zoning", then "Parcel and Property Use Data" and it brings up a viewer where you can see exact property lines and who owns each parcel. It's pretty up to date.

The GIS is also more accurate than Google. Even in areas where Google shows the current "state land / private land" boundary, the location of the boundary on Google maps is often incorrect by as much as a couple hundred yards. This can make it appear that there is no access to state land, when in fact there is. An example of this is along the first mile of the Blue Ridge Road just west of Exit 29. The Google map makes it appear that there is no access to the Dix Wilderness there, but the GIS accurately shows that state land does in fact reach the highway.

Comment

Working...
        X