Wild Turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Turkeys

I know nothing about turkeys. It is a bird I did not see growing up.

Lately I have seen them coming onto roads in great quantities. Are they getting salt? pebbles? Also they have great difficulty moving in the deep snow and having trouble getting off the ground. When approached they flap and flop around. They must need to use their legs to take off but the deep snow is seems a real problem. They must be very vulnerable to predators right now.
    Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

I have six turkeys that use my driveway to cross the road. One day, six turkeys stopped in front of my truck and one turkey saw its reflection in the bumper and attacked the bumper. Jumped up and down and pecked the bumper. Wish I'd had a camera. So cool

Comment

Hi . Turkeys need rockes or pebbles for there crop . If they can not get that they can not processes any thing they eat . With the snow deap in all NY this year turkeys we'll be using the gravel from the roads more and more .

Comment

Although we'll see what the result of this winter is, turkeys are expanding in the Adirondacks in my opinion. I see more of them throughout the Park every year. I also hunt them in the Spring enthusiastically.

They thrive on mast crops but will eat grasshoppers and other bugs in the summer, and I've seen them lately around bare spots where oaks are common and also at numerous bird feeders. This time of year they're usually still in big flocks but will disperse soon prior to the Spring breeding ritual, which is triggered by increasing daylight. They're an amazing bird, a challenge to hunt Spring gobblers and are one of the great conservation stories of the past 50 years. Regardless of if you are a hunter or not, you can learn much about them here: http://www.nwtf.org
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Amazingly I am seeing them just outside Algonquin Park 200 miles north of the Adirondacks. It is amazing that many birds of that size have found enough to eat in winter. You're right they are a success story.
          Izaak Walton a great writer? He can't even spell COMPLETE.

Comment

Working...
          X