Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What section of the Adirondacks has the oldest growth forest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the trail to Beaver Lake in the Moose River plains area also has some old growth forest. I was there about 15 years ago and it was quite impressive.
    Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusFunk24 View Post
      Was wondering what area are you referring to at Paul Smith's? I would like to check it out sometime when I am over there.
      Probably the Cathedral Pines on Church Pond. They're impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick View Post
        There is an excellent stand of old growth forest on the Cranberry 50 trail.

Dick
        Dick, if you're still with this forum, is this tree on the section of trail between the Ranger School and Rt. 3?

Comment

I dont know about the oldest but on route 30 in Franklin County in Bloomingdale there is old growth. It is past the power lines that connects to Creighton Hill. Trees are marked with numbers, mostly White Pines.

this is what I am talking about. Had to do a GIS project on old growth forests for Paul Smiths College..

Comment

On this page it says the lat/long for the location of old growth for Paul Smith's if you havent seen it yet.

Comment

Pine point on the Coldriver has some old growth pines there at the campsite.

Comment

Originally posted by yayabrazie View Post
                On this page it says the lat/long for the location of old growth for Paul Smith's if you havent seen it yet.
                http://www.adirondacklifemag.com/blo...-tallest-tree/
                Thanks for the info, visited this weekend. Much more awe inspiring in person, especially looking upward.

Comment

So what specifically are the oldest growth hardwoods in the ADKs?

Comment

A few months ago I was reading on the DEC website a report done about 12 yrs ago (IIRC)on the Lincoln Mt State Forest in Corinth. There are Black Gum trees that they core sampled and dated back to the 1460's.

short cut to page 44 of the pdf
                    Hunt when you can, Fish when you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                      I would bet that the summits of the four-thousand footers are the greatest extent of old growth forest in the Adirondacks.
                      Big trees need fertile soil, which does not exist at 4,000 feet.
                      There's a place called Pine Orchard near Wells that has some impressive White Pines.
                      The biggest White Birch that I've seen were on the south side of Diamond Mt. in the Siamese area.
                      At least two feet in diameter.
                      Jim

Comment

There was once an impressive White Pine on the right bank of the Raquette above Axton Landing.
                        I called it "Crooked Pine" because it had a huge limb growing at right angle from the main trunk that had to be 24 inches in diameter.
                        I'm not sure that it's still there.
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimVroman View Post
                          Originally posted by DSettarh
                          ]I would bet that the summits of the four-thousand footers are the greatest extent of old growth forest in the Adirondacks.
                          Big trees need fertile soil, which does not exist at 4,000 feet.
                          I believe DSettarh was referring to age, not size.
                          Scooting here and there
                          Through the woods and up the peaks
                          Random Scoots awaits (D.P.)

"Pushing the limits of easy."™

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                            I would bet that the summits of the four-thousand footers are the greatest extent of old growth forest in the Adirondacks.
                            After I thought a little more about your post, I think that you're right.
                            Five inch diameter spruce that are probably 100 years old would certainly qualify as old growth.
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by rADK View Post
                              So what specifically are the oldest growth hardwoods in the ADKs?
                              Powley-Piseco Rd. and around OK Slip Falls come to mind. Five Ponds as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X