No announcement yet.

Share your Adirondack Animal Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think its time for some new updated Adirondack Wildlife photos. Anyone have anything they would like to share?
    The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

Loved these, I'm new here. This was my favorite thread.

Comment

NCPR Photo of the Day: Pine marten posing for the trail cam. Photo: Gary Lee, Inlet, NY

"Fiery sunset at the Lake Placid horse show grounds." Photo: Christie Sausa - Interested in sponsoring Photo of the Day? Email underwriting@ncpr.org for details.

Comment

How about a vid of a momma Loon with her kids.

Did a canoe/camping trip to St. Sacrement Island on Lake George in NY State Adirondack park. Spotted this mother Loon with her two young swimming along & wer...

Comment

Fantastic posts...
            The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

Comment

A Rare Taste of the Wild

I didn’t learn until way too late in my life how magical the woods can be in the spring. The exposure and nativity of the fauna allows a unique intimacy not usually experienced by the casual observer.
              The flora too has much to offer as the first signs of life emerge from the drab and weary forest floor. I was in search of such flora when I was interrupted by a wild experience.
              I always loved the idea of coyotes. Some hunters disdained them as a reduction of game and some people disdain them due to fear. I reject both prejudices. As a hunter I want the woods to be more wild and I refuse to be swayed by the press and become intimated by this animal. By any animal! There is nothing in the woods that is going to harm you save a nasty fall. Be blessed to see a predator as the times are rare.
              I was making my way to a spot that produces the Verpa species of fungi that is a harbinger of Morel season. As time was generous I took a route that might reward me of a quest not fulfilled, that of a trophy antler that was a shed of that weary buck that has eluded me each and every year.
              It was as I was walking through a thicket that I happened to look up to see a coyote not 25 yards away. The coyote ambles off and I was happy to have seen it, my day is complete. Then it occurred to me that the reason this coyote appear so abruptly was that the den must be nearby.
              I search around and finally found what I believed to be the den. It was a huge Hemlock tree that had succumbed to the forces of nature three years previous. It was always a spectacular tree when it was vertical and was just impressive lying on the forest floor waiting to contribute further despite its demise.
              The downhill section showed no promise of residence so I circled up to the hollowed out section facing up the hill. Couldn’t really see much because the fallen giant was cavernous. Utilizing the binoculars hung around my neck I laid focus on the upper reaches of a void that was born so long ago.
              I believed I could see a fur bed in the upper reaches but between my aging eyes, lack of real knowledge, and a fruitful imagination figured that it was just another blessed, woods hallucination.
              I crept closer to the entrance of this imagined liar to take an image with my phone as nothing is real unless it is documented electronically. The pic was bad so I tried to manipulate my camera to zoom in and take a flash but gave up on these adjustments, as this was an absurd action to the reason I was here in the first place.
              Suddenly I hear a loud dog like bark just above me. Lo and behold there is a coyote going crazy not 40 yards from me. I never seen a coyote act this way or sound this way.
              Holy cow! This must be the den. I walk up a little ways to test the reaction of this mother yote. It disappears up the hill into the woods. As I sat there elated that I was able to witness said event I see another coyote coming in from the right barking and making all kind of noise focused on the den and unaware of my new position. I was trying to discern how this new coyote was able to get the alarm so quickly and attained the information that some threat had befallen the pups. This coyote followed the same general path as the first and methinks its headed to join its mate.
              Not long after another coyote enters my view from the right, barking and acting as the second dog I’ve seen. It occurs to me that it is the same coyote making a circular route to draw me away from the den. The barking and proximity is like I never experienced.
              I had to head down the ravine to meet up with Billy and wouldn’t you know that coyote followed me down the hill. Actually appeared bolder as I was walking away . I found this amusing and occasionally turned around and walked steadfast towards this young mom in effort to educate her on the realities of the man dominated world. But she took little heed, she was hell bent on protecting her offspring ,I hope she survives the ignorance of a man with a gun.
              I met up with Billy and we took a circular route around the den as I didn’t want to upset this hero anymore but she came up and gave up a piece of her mind. Even following us across the open fields. Never seen anything like it.

I love the spring woods.
              "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
              X