GPS Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG 880 Vista

Has anyone used this phone for their GPS unit? I use one with Gaia and have had OK results but it seems to be extremely temperature sensitive. Lately it just shuts down or freezes. Locating Satellites is quite slow and it looses satellite lock easily. Would an older iPhone 6 be a better candidate?

Comment

Originally posted by Eidolon View Post
      LG 880 Vista

Has anyone used this phone for their GPS unit? I use one with Gaia and have had OK results but it seems to be extremely temperature sensitive. Lately it just shuts down or freezes. Locating Satellites is quite slow and it looses satellite lock easily. Would an older iPhone 6 be a better candidate?
      I've run GAIA flawlessly on both a 5s and a 5SE, so a 6 or 6s should work. I would get one with more than 16g of memory if you can.

Comment

Thanks, I'm due for a phone upgrade and will bring my iPhone 6 into service

Comment

Apples and oranges (pun intended).

GAIA running on iOS has a great reputation. GAIA running on Android is an entirely different beast. So your troubles may be a mix of old phone woes and new app glitches.

+1 for Johnny's suggestion. Downloaded maps (especially raster maps) are significant consumers of space (not on the same order as photos and songs but it's up there in size). FWIW, my Android phone has 16 GB plus a 32 GB memory card (unfortunately that's not an option for iPhones). It's a comfortable amount of space for me (16 GB alone wouldn't be sufficient for how I use it).
          Looking for views!

Comment

Thanks TB,
            I only use it for paddling trip data and download my maps from Caltopo. It's got a big screen and an easy app to use. Can't see it in the bright sunlight but usually just set it up and don't look at it until we are done for the day. That's when I get the it turned itself off surprise or it freezes. Never been much of a fan of GPS but it's nice to get a route track map and data for the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Eidolon View Post
              LG 880 Vista

I would do a factory restore and reinstall needed applications. Android phones work much better after a good spring/fall cleaning/restore.
              You can never conquer the mountain. You can only conquer yourself.

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to add a data point ... I'm still using a Garmin eTrex Legend C that I bought circa 2005. Easily goes a day on one pair of rechargeable batteries. Accuracy may not be as good under cover as the new ones with the Russian satellites, but it's good enough for canoeing and general hiking.

So getting an older used one might be a good option.

Comment

Quick follow-up, LocusMaps now allows overlaying one MBTILE file with varying opacity over another MBTILE base map. It also has a nice function where you can load in scanned paper maps, and set 4 or more reference points tied to underlying raster imagery, and it will rectify the scanned map for you.

Comment

Garmin is pretty good! Most people use alltrails now though.

Comment

Originally posted by hiking View Post
                      ...Most people use alltrails now though.
                      Based on what evidence?
                      Looking for views!

Comment

Too cool! I'm playing with the apps now. Thanks

Comment

I used Gaia GPS on my Android phone this past year. It worked fine and met my needs. While planning my trips, I just downloaded the map I needed to my phone. During the trips, I recorded my routes and waypoints. I carried a map and compass as backup.
                          "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
                          - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                          X