Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What section of the Adirondacks has the oldest growth forest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What section of the Adirondacks has the oldest growth forest?

I am curious as to which areas you would say have the most "Old Growth" stands. I spend most of my time in Franklin County and there is some nice old growth, but in patches. What region would you say has the largest section of Old Growth forest that was never logged?
    The more wilderness in the Adirondacks, the better.

I would bet that the summits of the four-thousand footers are the greatest extent of old growth forest in the Adirondacks.

Comment

I have heard that the Five Pond Wilderness Area holds alot old growth stuff..

But then again I am amazed at some of the old trees I see while bushwhacking that the loggers missed over the years. I was in the Hammond Pond wilderness area earlier this winter & saw some old pines back by Pine Pond that were incredible....I mean like 8 ' girth & over a hundred feet tall....old sentenials....the axe missed them...that's a good thing..I guess..

It's a good thing people like Teddy Rosevelt stepped in to save some of them before the whole park was clear cut......Love those old survivors...

Comment

Pine Pond....Hammond Pond WF
        Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the High Peaks contain a good amount of old growth, but I would say the Five Ponds area is the champ for the largest single area. It's estimated that there is 50,000 acres of old growth from the Stillwater Res., to the county line near the Oswegatchie. Pigeon Lake WA is included in this are that was owned by Webb and later became state land.

I agree with PW, it's amzing how many big trees were miseed: Shelving Rock area, Pine Orchard, Crane Pond trail from Rt. 74, southern sections of the NP, etc., etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
            I agree with PW, it's amzing how many big trees were miseed: Shelving Rock area, Pine Orchard, Crane Pond trail from Rt. 74, southern sections of the NP, etc., etc.
            What it all came down too, of course, was economics. Many of the big trees that we have now weren't that big when the areas were harvested. Additionally, sections of old growth that still exist are areas where it simply wasn't profitable to harvest the trees.

For example, the old growth forest at Paul Smith's was downhill from the road. It was never harvested because value of the trees didn't cover the cost of hauling the big trees uphill to the road.

Comment

Originally posted by adk View Post
              I am curious as to which areas you would say have the most "Old Growth" stands. I spend most of my time in Franklin County and there is some nice old growth, but in patches. What region would you say has the largest section of Old Growth forest that was never logged?
              Definitely pick up a copy of "The Great Forest of the Adirondacks" by Barbara McMartin. She has a few maps in there of likely areas, which includes areas of the Five Ponds and Pigeon Lake wilderness areas.

To answer the last question, I'm pretty sure the Pigeon Lake Wilderness area is now it given the blowdown in the Five Ponds.

The biggest factor determining what was spared was the distance from waterways that could be used to transport logs, either in their natural state or after damming, etc. By the mid-19th century, most major rivers in the Adirondacks were declared public highways by the legislature, and funds were appropriated to build dams, straighten channels, etc.

Paddlewheel, sometimes I wonder if the old loggers appreciated the beauty of huge old pines and trees along ponds and lakes and decided to spare a few of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                What it all came down too, of course, was economics. Many of the big trees that we have now weren't that big when the areas were harvested. Additionally, sections of old growth that still exist are areas where it simply wasn't profitable to harvest the trees.

For example, the old growth forest at Paul Smith's was downhill from the road. It was never harvested because value of the trees didn't cover the cost of hauling the big trees uphill to the road.
                Yeah ...but it were up to some folks it would of all been cut...People back then had no idea what conservation meant..

I go to Rennsalearville St. Forest regularly in the winter...It's in SW Albany County..It was highly lumbered in the 30's & 40's....they pretty much clear cut it....the CCM Corps....then they replanted pines way close together...now alot of it is thick.....as a brick...All these trees are trying to fight for some sunshine..It's a great bushwhack but I have to ask myself ..what's going to happen to all these strangled trees..Something has got to give....there isn't any stragglers there...all the tall trees are gone..I wonder what it looked like 75 yrs. ago there.......
                Old growth trees are truly a wonder.....may they stand long before I am gone..

Comment

Ecologically responsible harvesting of a renewable resource...something some paper companies/landowners have been doing for years. Hopefully the trend will improve and continue, there is alot of totally protected forest out there, and I still want wipe my butt ......

The really scary thing in the future is how much water is used to produce paper, ,maybe we should go French and get Bidets..
                  Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                  Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
                    Ecologically responsible harvesting of a renewable resource...something some paper companies/landowners have been doing for years. Hopefully the trend will improve and continue, there is alot of totally protected forest out there, and I still want wipe my butt ......

The really scary thing in the future is how much water is used to produce paper, ,maybe we should go French and get Bidets..
                    And maybe cut down on the flow of phone books....I get about 4 around the same time every year....now there's a waste of paper.....

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
                      And maybe cut down on the flow of phone books....I get about 4 around the same time every year....now there's a waste of paper.....
                      If I remember correctly, phone companies are required by law to distribute phone books. There is discussion, however, at replacing this law with a new one that requires phone companies to only provide phone books upon request.

Comment

Originally posted by paddlewheel View Post
                        Butt what will I read while sitting on my bidet?
                        Be careful, don't spread invasive species!!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
                        Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23

Comment

Vanderwalker area behind Newcomb has some huge pine and I don't think it has ever been logged. 4' across pine and lots of them.

Comment

Originally posted by chairrock View Post
                            Butt what will I read while sitting on my bidet?
                            How about some penthouse forum letters?....always gets me going when then colon's ready & I feel like some sit down readin'

Comment

Working...
                            X